Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2009, 15:33   #121
BHPian

it was not for the performance but due to the fact that I lost 2 tyres and while changing the tyre during rally you do not have lot of choice and leisure to do correct mounting.
Old 29th December 2009, 15:34   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@rishi: I went through your entire picasa log and all I can say is "AWESOME"

I hope I can do the Raid soon.

Lokk forward to daily log and key learnings from the Raid
Thanks...all I can say is I am saving my leave for Raid but biggest task is to convince my wife to do it again. I am not satisfied with 8th Rank, I have to make it to top 3.
Old 19th January 2010, 20:00   #123
BHPian

Hi Guys, I plan to participate in Raid De Himalayas 2010. Please suggest me the preparation and the right car for the raid. I plan to buy a used Cedia and use it as my main car as well as participated in the raid. Please let me know who all are participating this year, so if possible we could have a meet somewhere in Delhi/NCR. Cheers!!
Old 20th January 2010, 02:23   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911varun View Post
Hi Guys, I plan to participate in Raid De Himalayas 2010. Please suggest me the preparation and the right car for the raid. I plan to buy a used Cedia and use it as my main car as well as participated in the raid. Please let me know who all are participating this year, so if possible we could have a meet somewhere in Delhi/NCR. Cheers!!
Hello Varun, Well the Cedia is certainly a very capable vehicle if you can increase the ground clearance and stiffen up the suspensions along with a very tough underbody strengthening and covering.

I'll be going as an official again this year. Meanwhile you can meet some of us around 11-13th Feb near Saket's DLF place. We'll be there for the Desert Storm proceedings going on there.

Cheers,

Anirban.
Old 20th January 2010, 10:04   #125
BHPian

Thanks for the reply Nomadvagabond, But if i am taking part in the stock type catagory, i cannot change the suspension right? and the only way i can increase its ground clearance is by putting some 16' instead of the stock 15' with high profile tires.

I would like to join you guys between 11-13 feb. Please PM me your contact details

cheers
Old 22nd January 2010, 19:24   #126
BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio at Raid De Himalaya

Mahindra Scorpio doing it second time in a row - Winning the Adventure Trail Category at Raid De Himalaya 2009.

Major AS Brar clocking in with 3 hours, 46 minutes and 57 seconds of penalty time turning up as the winner.

Raid de Himalaya 2009-prasad-rdh-009.jpg

Raid de Himalaya 2009-rdh-09-038.jpg

Raid de Himalaya 2009-rdh-09-040.jpg

Raid de Himalaya 2009-rdh-09-044.jpg

Name:  RDH 09 056.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  66.1 KB

Raid de Himalaya 2009-way-back-kunzum-la.jpg

Raid de Himalaya 2009-picture-410.jpg

Raid de Himalaya 2009-line-up-padam-way-back-rangdum.jpg

Raid de Himalaya 2009-zolija-pass-back-gate-into-srinagar.jpg
Old 22nd January 2010, 20:26   #127
BHPian

@ Maximum Torque.

I've got some photographs of you guys with me. Will fish them out and post them soon. They are mostly from the second last TC en-route to Rangdum on the section from where you guys were given a dead time.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 22nd January 2010, 20:36   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum_torque View Post
Mahindra Scorpio doing it second time in a row - Winning the Adventure Trail Category at Raid De Himalaya 2009.

Major AS Brar clocking in with 3 hours, 46 minutes and 57 seconds of penalty time turning up as the winner.
Major Brar was in the Xtreme category and in a Gypsy not in Scorpio. As a matter of fact there was no Scorpio in the Xtreme category
Old 22nd January 2010, 20:48   #129
BHPian

Yes as MileCruncher mentioned above. The winner of the Adventure trial was Pradeep/Prasad instead of Major AS Brar. Infact even the second and third positions were not from any of the Army teams.

Please refer. http://www.raid-de-himalaya.com/2009...ositionsl6.pdf & http://www.raid-de-himalaya.com/2009...4WXTRL6NET.xls for the final results.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 19th February 2010, 20:29   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post
The raid was awesome. Can't say much from the competitors point of view but for us being officials we had a tough time. Specially being in the Adventure Trial officials. We had to wait up for each car to pass the TC and if required to even salvage them out of places.

@ Vinay.

I could relate to your face after looking at your competition number. How was Rungdum to you??
Hey Nomad, We could'nt reach Rangdum. That's the story I am about to complete today.
Old 20th February 2010, 00:06   #131
BHPian

Raid De Himalaya 2009 Part II

Hi Guys!

First of all a big apology for not completing the pictorial.

And now, without wasting any time here goes the continuation ( hope I am not very late to complete this):

As soon as we recovered from the shock of the Jalori Climb, the downhill side was another horrowing story of a different kind. Saurabh was doing it in first gear with light and sometimes hard foot on the brake pedal. It went well for 3-4 kms but suddenly, he felt somthing wrong with the brakes. Soon we realized what was wrong. The disk pads were almost burning due to constant braking and at one point they lost grip. We had to stop and let them cool for few mins. This same thing was experienced by many a raiders at the same spot. Few minutes of cooling did the job and we were back on the track. I took over the wheel at this point and hence no photographs till saurabh was back on the wheel after Gramphoo the next day.

Soon we were in Banjaar town. The road passes right from the middle of the busy market and therefore it was heavily manned by the police. They were showing us the way too. It was here that Suresh Rana overtook us after he was stalled due to flat tyres. The TC just after Banjaar was on a bridge and we were running some 20 or so mins late. Here one funny thing happened. Saurabh just took off his seat belt as his time chip and ID card lanyards got stuck in the belt. The Marshals at the TC did not realize this and questioned us. We told them but they did not want to listen and wrote it on the time card. This matter was resolved later at Manali.

From here till Manali was one roller coaster ride with one of the Scorps neck and neck. As we had to cover lost time, I tried to be as fast as we could and reached Manali just before it was dark.

Got hold of Sanjay (it was an achievement trust me), the mechanic from the HMA Service team and had him check the underbody and the other vital points in the suspension. He tighten some bolts and thankfully, our underbody plate was solidly in place. (we had seen plates of the sole Zen in the raid falling thrice the same day.)

We then went to search for spare disk pads that we had forgotten to carry from Delhi as we feared this could be the weakest link for us. To our good luck, we found them at Manali Motors. Finally we called it a day and reached hotel thanking god for a great first day in the raid. Took shower had some drinks and had dinner. It was about to be another long next day.

We got up at 4am, took shower and put our bags back in the car. To our astonishment, some people were washing their cars at that time. We reached the ParkFerme (IMA) at around 5ish. Waited their for around an our or so and finally the Flag off started. We were running 14th and got flagged off at number 27. Initially it looked like a good stage but soon turned into a treacherous one as we started the climb just after Palchan. The road had huge craters and it was slushy at many places also there was heavy truck traffic coming down the pass. Almost everyone lost huge amounts of time here. One of the Team Maruti's SX4s driven by Autocar guys lost its rear suspension arm just after Gulaba at one such slushy stretch as it hit a rock which they could not notice. We had almost lost around 45 mins at this stretch. After around 4 Kms and before the final ascent to Rohtang starts, the road became wide as they were carpetting it anew. We managed to do good speeds after this and also wore helmets for the first time on raid. We finally crossed Rohtang and came across the TC at Gramphoo. We had to turn right towards Batal from here. We finally were in the greater Himalayas. The terrain turned harsher and aplenty with potholes and later as we descended towards Batal, all gravel. Had a quick stop to pee and Saurabh took over from here. Here is a short video of that section:

Will continue today... (and complete it this time)

Last edited by vinayrathore : 20th February 2010 at 00:18.
Old 20th February 2010, 22:58   #132
Senior - BHPian

Hey thats a nice video!!! great adventure i must say

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Hi Guys!
Here is a short video of that section:

YouTube - Raid De Himalaya Leg 2

Will continue today... (and complete it this time)

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd February 2010 at 13:19. Reason: Please avoid quoting ant entire long post especially if its on same page, thanks
Old 21st February 2010, 11:54   #133
BHPian

Raid De Himalaya 2009 Part III

Take a right from Gramphoo and the road goes to the most treacherous stretches of the raid routes. You have to guess which one is the track out of rocks laid out in front of you and many times you can easily give it a miss. This track coupled with lost time climbing Rohtang and the higher average speed took the maximum toll on our vehicle's suspension. Here are few pics of that stretch which will speak more than me:

Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7690.jpg
Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7693.jpg
Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7694.jpg
Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7696_1.jpg
Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7699.jpg
Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7700.jpg
Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7701.jpg
Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7704.jpg
Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7706.jpg
Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7711.jpg

The climb to the Kunzum La the only one to have us drive through snow. Right after crossing the bridge at Batal, you start ascending rapidly. We were to run to the Stupa at the pass, go around and come back and since everybody had lost time, all were racing to reach and come back. I was so mesmerized at the site of it, I forgot to take pictures there.

To be continued....

Last edited by vinayrathore : 21st February 2010 at 11:57. Reason: added text
Old 22nd February 2010, 18:25   #134
BHPian

Raid De Himalaya 2009 Part IV

After the Kunzumla nightmare, we could feel something wrong with the front suspension. As we were climbing back to Gramphoo, we encountered our first snowfall. It was a mixed rain and snow but it was a relaxing sight after the harrowing experience. As soon as we reached Gramphoo, we encountered another TC. This was I think an unplanned one as we were told that due to an error in the road book, we will be given a free run till Tandi Petrol Pump. It was around 70 Kms of fun we had ahead. After around 8 Kms from Gramphoo, the road turned into an expressway or so I would call it after what we saw a couple of hours before. This is what I am talking about:

Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7715.jpg

It was 70 Kms of pure relaxation. We stopped a few times, exchanged food with fellow raiders, clicked pics and even stopped at a roadside Tibetan dhaba and had Momos, Maggie and Tea.

Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7716.jpg
Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7721.jpg

At Tandi, it was a long long que for fuel, we finally were able to get fuel after half an hour of waiting and had a restart. From here till Keylong it was a smooth affair. But as soon as we were crossing the Keylong city, I again felt a strange feedback from the steering. On the long curves, whenever I turned the steering, it was sometimes not turning at all and at times, it turned rather suddenly. In simple terms, the car was experiencing sudden under and sudden over steering. We stopped the car on a smooth stretch and to our fear, the main bolts of the suspension arms had come loose. This was causing it to act like an additional hinge and therefore the erratic steering behavior. We did not have the tools to tighten it so we decided to go on till next 60 odd Kms till Patseo and have it checked there. We even crossed a riverbed near Jispa on the same loose suspension. Kept our fingers crossed and finally reached Patseo. Went straight to the service area and looked for Sanjay. After 30 40 minutes of wait, our car was finally attended to. The main bolts had really come loose and thankfully, the bushes were intact or so was what we were told by him. We took a small test drive and it looked okay.

Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7727.jpg
Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7731.jpg
Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7738.jpg
Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7737.jpg
Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7740.jpg
Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7736.jpg
Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7751.jpg
Raid de Himalaya 2009-dscf7752.jpg

After the ordeal was over, we suddenly realized that the place was freezing and we had to look for food and our bunker to sleep for the night. It was 7:15 PM and it was already 7 below freezing. Looked around that the camp, did some shopping, Yes, shopping. There is an army canteen where they sell heavy wollens and snow boots etc. We both bought jackets, balaclavas, gloves and boots. Had a great army style chicken. it started snowing, though a light drizzle. Finally at 9:30, went straight to bed, with all the cloths, even two jackets and two socks. Morning was a new story altogether.

To be continued.....

Last edited by tsk1979 : 22nd February 2010 at 19:11. Reason: direct or indirect reference to alcohol not permitted
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:12   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
After the Kunzumla nightmare,.
I preceived that the Raid did not go the Kunzum Pass way this time, Was it only for the Adventure trial of was it for everybody ? Wating for the next part ..

Last edited by bhogalrajnish : 23rd February 2010 at 20:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks