Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2007, 13:15   #31
Senior - BHPian

not F1 but stuff like A1 gp could be called a monumental waste :P j/k
Old 23rd July 2007, 13:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

himanshu, man you have really started a war here. With safaris & boleros all lining up your baleno, i think you are better off hiding in Iraq for the moment.
Old 23rd July 2007, 13:24   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Even I agree too , i think we are all selfish , just think of it .
Global warming is increasing rapidly .We will not have roads later , because all the land will be submerged with water.

When they are pouring millions of millions ....of $$$ , why can not they figure it to race with hydrogen .Infact , I want everything to run with hydrogen , you know the byproduct H20 .Be change you want to see
Old 23rd July 2007, 13:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

hmmmm......Actually a war is exactly what I wanted to start here. Afterall, a democracy is all about free speech and debate.....

The main objective behind starting this thread was to see what is the enviromental awareness amongst our members and how many actually care for the earth's natural resources. Not even for one moment am I saying that essential activities need to be stopped, as suggested by a few here (air travel, daily world oil consumption, construction etc. and nor am I suggesting a return to the stone age), but this is an attempt at starting a serious and mature debate about wasteful consumption of a precious resource......

As for the sundry boleros and safaris targetting me, well, it would really be something to see those trucks try and catch a baleno with a spirited (in more ways than one!) driver behind the wheel
Old 23rd July 2007, 13:29   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
When they are pouring millions of millions ....of $$$ , why can not they figure it to race with hydrogen .Infact , I want everything to run with hydrogen , you know the byproduct H20 .Be change you want to see
Why not just drop everything and go back to racing with bullock carts and stuff ... and not only racing , lets get back to the days of nop electricity , no cars etc etc ????

Forget knowing whats happening 200 kms away from you ... and build self sustainable communities !!! Nice idea ........
Old 23rd July 2007, 13:32   #36
Team-BHP Support

F1 is going green. Slowly. See the list of changes proposed for the future. Smaller fuel tanks mean they would need to increase their efficiency. They are looking at alternate fuels as well. Nothing accelerates innovation like good competition, so this gradual move towards being more green will only be a good thing overall.
Old 23rd July 2007, 13:34   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
As for the sundry boleros and safaris targetting me, well, it would really be something to see those trucks try and catch a baleno with a spirited (in more ways than one!) driver behind the wheel
Why do you think man made red lights ... they were designed so that the fleet footed could be caught by the heavy footed !!!

As for the debate ... Its all a vicious cycle -- you cant have one element and then have the other . Precious fuel can be saved by implementing a lot of things -- but then why target only one aspect ?? Our system has two mechanisms -- one is the heart and the other is the head , so depending on what you use you will get a different perspective on most things . Very rarely will you see both agreeing on the same thing .

So when it comes to Motorsports -- its the heart that does the talking and no amopunt of logical expanation shall sway its thought process !!! Its like PETA trying to convert a pure non vegetarian into a vegetarian -- JUST NOT HAPPENING !!
Old 23rd July 2007, 13:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

Its wrong to consider Motorsports as an evil just because the sport uses fuel.

What you need to look at - if you're really that Green - is total energy consumption. In that case we should really BAN the Olympics, Asian and other continental games - see the amount of energy spent on those events. New cities built, infrastructure geared up just for a month-long event, the number of venues running events day and night, the floodlighting, the number of televisions turned on throughout the world to watch this one event. All of these consume ENERGY.

The right way to look at the issue would be by comparing ENERGY consumption, not just fossil fuel being consumed.
Old 23rd July 2007, 13:40   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Why not just drop everything and go back to racing with bullock carts and stuff ... and not only racing , lets get back to the days of nop electricity , no cars etc etc ????

Forget knowing whats happening 200 kms away from you ... and build self sustainable communities !!! Nice idea ........
Electricity if generated from hydro power ( water power ) agreed , whats wrong with this ? it clean , pollution free . we are harnessing power of water ,instead of letting it go wasted . Even nuclear power is clean 1000s of times than the coal or fossile fuel based power stations , provided the nuclear fuel is dispossed properly . Heck we can even use solar energy . Untilmately solar enery will be the energy to tap.
I think its like this : Cigaratte smoking is injurious to health . Still ppl smoke !

Open up guys , think , think , how can we race or enjoy driving /riding without polluting anything ?
Did ppl even think we would pay 12 -13 rs for 1 liter water ,just a few years ago .

Day will come you will be forced to buy Oxygen bottles/cylinders for breathing/or to be alive !

Last edited by black12rr : 23rd July 2007 at 13:50.
Old 23rd July 2007, 13:58   #40
BHPian

the fuel required by a 747 on a trans atlantic flight is equivalent to the fuel used by one car for all the races (ps i am not too sure about this fact. dont bite)
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:02   #41
k36
BHPian

Thanks Himanshu for starting a thread on this topic!

Its not just the depletion of precious resources, which every human activity results in, but the manner in which its consumed, the output and its usefulness to the society, and most importantly the irreversible change to the environment it is causing.
Thankfully we are not alone in this debate.. see this:Climate change fears reach even Formula One racing | Environment | Reuters

And regarding the depletion of resource, I'm selfish ... I would like to burn the last tankful of fuel on earth myself, in my car... rather than see an F1 driver burning it.

Last edited by k36 : 23rd July 2007 at 14:04.
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:12   #42
BHPian

ok. i sit as judge for a moment.

himanshu, you're correct. the few others who have contributed anything more than threats, you are correct too.

a lot of energy is wasted, no doubt. but the wastage is inevitable since a lot of people derive entertainment from it. there will be positives such as pumping in money for employment and negatives such as seemingly unforgivable wastage. entertainment in some form or the other is surely as essential as food itself, and motorsports cannot be singled out for crucification. alongside motorsports, there are many other sources of such extravagance - the sheer impracticality of asking people to chuck them all makes it a useless plea.

waste is waste, and it is impossible to draw a line where it becomes unjustifiably high. every sport surely wastes, and that's part of mankind's lot.
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:14   #43
Senior - BHPian

What next....a 'go-green' Honda F1 car with solar panels?!?
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:18   #44
BHPian

fuel is a limited offer by nature. and the offer is valid till stocks last. if F1 buys more fuel cos they can afford it, too bad for everyone. is it fair to deny it to them just because they buy more?
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:29   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
F1 is going green. Slowly. See the list of changes proposed for the future. Smaller fuel tanks mean they would need to increase their efficiency. They are looking at alternate fuels as well. Nothing accelerates innovation like good competition, so this gradual move towards being more green will only be a good thing overall.
I believe the engine sizes were reduced from 3L V10 to 2.4L V8 engines for this exact reason. to go green. This put an impetus on efficiency of the engine. The number of tyre changes was also limited to conserve resources. I believe this not only help reduce costs but was also a green movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

But if you run away in your petrol car you'll just be wasting precious fuel. Now we can't have that can we.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks