Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2011, 09:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Vehicles that pollute the worst.

We come across many a vehicles that pollute the environment, many of which are quite visible to the naked eye. Let us bring those to the notice of the community at large as they are harming the mother earth.

Take a look at the Amby, which speaks for itself.

Mods. I could not find any matching thread and hence this one. If it is felt to merge with any existing ones kindly do it please.
Attached Thumbnails
Vehicles that pollute the worst.-pollution.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 3rd April 2011 at 09:56.
Old 3rd April 2011, 10:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Vehicles that pollute the worst.

What i find really funny is that we are required to get a puc certificate every 6 months.
And then you see a govt vehicle passing by throwing black smoke in your face.
Also many a times have noticed local busses and pmc trucks etc. Pass you chucking out smoke in your face. The traffic cops see this but never stop them. But everytime someone is stopped by the cops. The first thing they want is your license followed by your puc.
Using the puc certificate just to harass road users and make money out of them.
Old 3rd April 2011, 11:02   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
What i find really funny is that we are required to get a puc certificate every 6 months.
And then you see a govt vehicle passing by throwing black smoke in your face.
Also many a times have noticed local busses and pmc trucks etc. Pass you chucking out smoke in your face. The traffic cops see this but never stop them. But everytime someone is stopped by the cops. The first thing they want is your license followed by your puc.
Using the puc certificate just to harass road users and make money out of them.
@mdsaab, how many people actually get the PUC done rigrously and with proper mean? I have seen those PUC vans around highways who do not check the emission and provide certificate.
Old 3rd April 2011, 11:25   #4
BANNED

PUC are just an eye wash, Most centres have already fed standard Data according to the vehicle model, once we are there, whatever the reading comes from our car, they will give printout as depending on their moos, but within limits and collect Rs.50 for cars from us.

I think the way of emission control have to be dealt severely, atleast for vehicles more than 15 years or old generation cars like ambassador, jeep, padmini etc should be checked randomly. i feel most new generation cars are not that much notorious when compared to old technology. But lets start with old gen.
Old 3rd April 2011, 11:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

The other Day,there was this Naturally Aspirated Indica in a bad shape,accelerating hard on NH-1,the amount of smoke it was emitting could have put trucks and buses to shame.
badly maintained Old diesel cars,like indica and Amby's top this list.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 3rd April 2011 at 11:36.
Old 3rd April 2011, 11:47   #6
BANNED

At B'lore, it is the old BMTC buses, the BBMP trucks and the so-called LPG Autos that emit the maximum amount of visible smoke and sound. I m surprised that Autos which emit so much of smoke are even allowed to ply.
Old 3rd April 2011, 13:02   #7
BHPian

omg...now i know why the population is becoming darker everyday!

99% of the trucks that can barely move are non-compliant!
Old 3rd April 2011, 14:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
@mdsaab, how many people actually get the PUC done rigrously and with proper mean? I have seen those PUC vans around highways who do not check the emission and provide certificate.
You are 100% correct. I have seen many people getting their puc by just parking in front of the puc van.
Also seen people park one vehicle but getting multiple puc for their other vehicles too.
What we do is call the puc fellow to our place, and get all our vehicles puc done.
So now we have a single date where all of them expire. Works best for us this way.
Also here is a little message i read somewhere that i would like to share.
"we dont't inherit the earth from our ancestors ~ we borrow it from our children"
drive safe!
Old 3rd April 2011, 14:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
@mdsaab, how many people actually get the PUC done rigrously and with proper mean?
Too true. In fact have you observed that most PUC vans are old and dilapidated Omni's or Premier Padminis running on CNG? Another thing is that public transport buses spew out more smoke than any other vehicle. Do they ever get a PUC done? The cops are more interested in those people who don't have a PUC certificate than checking the PUC certificate of those who actually have one.

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 3rd April 2011 at 14:48.
Old 3rd April 2011, 18:19   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

What about the malodorous exhaust emissions by trucks and buses? Many government buses and many govt vehicles are ill maintained. Many private ones are no better.The diesel 3 wheelers, some petrol ones with adulterated fuel (non CNG ones) also emit harmful SPM's, NOx, carbon monoxide/ dioxide and sulfur dioxide fumes.
Commercial vehicles are mostly ill maintained to abide by pollution norms.The owners keep on running these for long hours at a stretch with no time allocated for preventive maintenance. They only go to the mechanics (or the mechanics come to them) when there's a failure to run the vehicle properly for commercial gains i.e. when it hampers their money earning by getting grounded.
Old 3rd April 2011, 18:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Cars are some of the cleanest vehicles on the road. Going further the BS4 cars will make the air even cleaner.

In B'lore at least, its the autos that ruin the air quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
At B'lore, it is the old BMTC buses, the BBMP trucks and the so-called LPG Autos that emit the maximum amount of visible smoke and sound. I m surprised that Autos which emit so much of smoke are even allowed to ply.
Its because of auto driver unions and the connection with politics. They have got a relaxation in the rule so that autos are exempt from any norms whatsoever.

PS: In LA, a study showed that its the poor people driving old junk cars that were doing similar damage. The govt then bought back all these cars en masse at a price higher than market value and then took them straight to the junkyard.
Old 3rd April 2011, 19:27   #12
dot
Senior - BHPian

Another set of cars that abuse the environment are the ones who's catalytic converter has been removed. I am sorry, this might be sensitive news for some folks, but it is true. But then again, the trade off is probably worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
In fact have you observed that most PUC vans are old and dilapidated Omni's or Premier Padminis running on CNG?

Do they ever get a PUC done?
Good point. The usual PUC vehicles are a joke in themselves. I have asked this question sometimes as a means to chat up with the PUC van fellow while he is busy scribbling the certificate. The answers are typically a silly smile or why-are-you-asking-me-the-obvious look. Another answer is that they need to be parked overnight so the condition should not encourage thieves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
PS: In LA, a study showed that its the poor people driving old junk cars that were doing similar damage. The govt then bought back all these cars en masse at a price higher than market value and then took them straight to the junkyard.
Are you talking about the cash for clunkers program. Nano was supposed to play a similar role in India. Didn't happen so far.

Last edited by dot : 3rd April 2011 at 19:49.
Old 3rd April 2011, 21:29   #13
BHPian

Whats the point in posting this on team bhp?
I would advise you to post this on police facebook pages to catch the culprit.
Old 3rd April 2011, 21:41   #14
BHPian

Noise pollution : Depends on the driver. Autos and Taxis figure highly on this list.

Air pollution : Old Ambassadors, Sumos. Autos and Taxis figure highly on this list as well.

Light pollution : High-beam. Depends on the driver. Taxis figure highly on this list again. (Autos hardly have a headlight)
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECOMPOSE View Post
Light pollution : High-beam. Depends on the driver. Taxis figure highly on this list again. (Autos hardly have a headlight)
These days autos also have powerful headlampss like in the Piaggio Ape, Mahindra Alfa and TVS unlike the Bajajs and APIs of yester-years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks