Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2012, 13:24   #91
BHPian

re: Cars with bonnets visible for drivers

The best view was from the Zen classic, no way you could misjudge and could easily drive in the tightest of roads.

The i10 is decent, its very easy to judge owing to its roundy proportions.

The latest City is a gamble. it's total girth is a little hard to judge when new to the car, but with time one can definitely get used to it.
Old 9th August 2012, 14:22   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablu View Post
Hyundai Accent is one of the cars where the driver will be able to see the bonnet clearly. I'm not sure whether the visible bonnet blocks the view or not. But, it surely gives a bit more confidence while driving.Especially, in congested roads.
While the end of bonnet is visible, the problem with Accent is the car doesn't end where the bonnet ends. The number plate extends few cms beyond and if not careful, can touch the object in front.
Old 9th August 2012, 18:10   #93
Senior - BHPian

For me atleast one of the buying criterias for a car is its bonnet/hood to be visible while driving. I recently scrapped off my Astra whose bonnet was visible while driving and now bought a Lancer whose bonnet is visible while driving. Such a relief....
Old 9th August 2012, 19:12   #94
BHPian

I too like driving cars that have a good view of the bonnet. Most of my ownership has been two generations of Honda Accord which has a good all round view.
Even while driving in the US, having good bonnet visibility does help in tight situations.

Another car I owned briefly was the older Zen which also had excellent visibility and helped in traffic.

Generally I got so used to driving bigger cars and don't feel comfortable with the frontal views of small cars, including Brio, Eon and many others with short and curved or severely sloping bonnets.
Old 10th August 2012, 02:00   #95
BHPian

No Way in an i20 unless you really lean forward & make an effort to see it which is impractical while driving. I am 6'1" & with my normal driving posture I can't see the bonnet. I remember during the test drive of Laura, I could clearly see the bonnet with the chrome edge carrying the Skoda logo.

Last edited by SrikantDora : 10th August 2012 at 02:01. Reason: Addition
Old 10th August 2012, 02:15   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Dont forget the Duster! You can see the Bonnet partially.
Would this be in the RXZ where you can set the seat to a higher position, or are you talking about the default, fixed seat height in any other version?
Old 10th August 2012, 09:14   #97
BHPian

You can see the bonnet in the RxL as well , though I guess it would be dependent on one's height. I am 5' 10" and could see it partially..
Old 10th August 2012, 21:17   #98
BHPian

Personally I feel a visible bonnet is helpful in two cases,
1) Car is new (also when u are driving your friends car)
2) Driver is new (someone who is a relatively new driver)

Once the driver gets used to the car, a visible bonnet isnt too helpful. In fact once you are an expert driver of 'the' car, you would better enjoy the road than the bonnet.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 21:23   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post

Once the driver gets used to the car, a visible bonnet isnt too helpful. In fact once you are an expert driver of 'the' car, you would better enjoy the road than the bonnet.
+1 to this. But judging is difficult in early days of new car ownership and that would be the period where you would scrape the bumpers most especially if migrating from a smaller car to a car greater in dimensions either in length or width or both. My 2011 Punto Emotion w/o seat height adjuster gives absolutely no view of the bonnet no matter how tall you are. I am 6' and no idea whatsoever as to where the bonnet is. I cannot comment on the variants where height adjust is available.

Cheers,
K
Old 11th August 2012, 08:41   #100
Senior - BHPian

Premier Padmini and Amby without doubt.

Drivers of varying heights are able to view the cars bonnet line.
In padmini you can see the Dicky edges clearly while reversing as well.
If there was a reversing competition, i would take padmini for sure in it.

Those headlamp scoops are a delight since you can judge many tight turns to perfection.
Old 11th August 2012, 09:55   #101
BHPian

118 NE was my first car. Bonnet and Boot both were very clearly visible from driver's seat. One of the best cars in terms of all round visibility. Very negligible blind area around you.

I think visibility of bonnet and boot helped me in those initial days to develop good judgement of road space and tight parking spaces. Particularly my own parking slot where I have to put front of my car between columns were gap is car width + 25 cms (12.5 cms on both sides).

With invisible bonnet one tends to underestimate the space (actual space is more than what you see) which is in a way good as factor of safety.
Old 11th August 2012, 22:31   #102
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
118 NE was my first car. Bonnet and Boot both were very clearly visible from driver's seat. One of the best cars in terms of all round visibility. Very negligible blind area around you.

I think visibility of bonnet and boot helped me in those initial days to develop good judgement of road space and tight parking spaces. Particularly my own parking slot where I have to put front of my car between columns were gap is car width + 25 cms (12.5 cms on both sides).

With invisible bonnet one tends to underestimate the space (actual space is more than what you see) which is in a way good as factor of safety.
Yes, I agree 100%. Visibility of bonnet helps lot specially in tinght parking space. Where is your car now? Days are gone, today's cars are otherwise. Now bonnet is rarely horizontal, windscreen is not nearer to vertical axis - __/ turned into / - nearly a line slight inclined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
+1 to this. But judging is difficult in early days of new car ownership and that would be the period where you would scrape the bumpers most especially if migrating from a smaller car to a car greater in dimensions either in length or width or both. My 2011 Punto Emotion w/o seat height adjuster gives absolutely no view of the bonnet no matter how tall you are. I am 6' and no idea whatsoever as to where the bonnet is. I cannot comment on the variants where height adjust is available.

Cheers,
K
Height of motorists may help a though a little where bonnet is visible to some extent from inside of cars having a bonnet not so much inclined and where windscreen is fitted nearly at 45 degree or above to the horizontal / longitudinal axis. If your eyes are not set above line of sight you will see no bonnet, even if you raise your head to the maximum - your head will touch the roof or windscreen but will not see any part of bonnet. Have you ever tried? I tried in my Honda City CE but in vain.

Hence, height of motorist/driver whatever it is - 6', 7' or even 8', - is not any factor for being capable of seeing bonnet in today's so called aerodynamically designed todays cars. On the contrary it may be said that tall men's heads are also tall/big and the distance of between the eyes and roof of head will increase and touch car's roof at a lower level - in case question of raising head arise to see bonnet.

Kindly see the picture and factors of visivility and real position.

Cars with bonnets visible for drivers-bonnet1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
You can see the bonnet in the RxL as well , though I guess it would be dependent on one's height. I am 5' 10" and could see it partially..
You are good in height (I am 5' 7") but visibility is not always dependant on one's height as you mentioned. The fact is that your car gives better visivility due to some factors - discussed as above with picture and explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrikantDora View Post
No Way in an i20 unless you really lean forward & make an effort to see it which is impractical while driving. I am 6'1" & with my normal driving posture I can't see the bonnet. I remember during the test drive of Laura, I could clearly see the bonnet with the chrome edge carrying the Skoda logo.
Have you raised ever your head held high to the maximum you can? I think even if you do - you will not see bonnet. i20,s picture is below. Height will not make any help if your eyes are bound to set below line of sight.

Cars with bonnets visible for drivers-bonnet.jpg

In Skoda Laura it is possible to see bonnet. Please see the angle - ___/ and the level of bonnet - it is nearly with horizontal line/axis.

Specially in big cars with large bonnet such inclination is very effective for visibility of bonnet - which reduces car damage/accidents. BUT most manufacturers did not think this point with importance, I think - even I did not think at the time of purchasing my beaituful, awesome, amazing City. BUT NOW?

Name:  Skoda Laura.png
Views: 9669
Size:  114.4 KB

Have we thouht WHAT is the solution and HOW to cope with this invisibility?
Old 12th August 2012, 23:28   #103
BHPian

If you make a little effort to sit really upstraight, you can see the bonnet of Fiat Uno. I also have a Premier Padmini whose all 4 edges are visible from the drivers seat. But like Sam has pointed out, I believe it matters only when you are new to the car or new to driving.
Old 21st August 2012, 12:25   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000_RANVIS View Post
Yes, I agree 100%. Visibility of bonnet helps lot specially in tinght parking space. Where is your car now? Days are gone, today's cars are otherwise. Now bonnet is rarely horizontal, windscreen is not nearer to vertical axis - __/ turned into / - nearly a line slight inclined.
I sold it off way back in 2003 when I started facing problems regarding spares and garages ready to maintain 118NE.
Old 21st August 2012, 12:45   #105
Senior - BHPian

You can see the bonnet in the Chevy (Subaru) Forester

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks