Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2012, 09:42   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: "Honda, Hyundai, Volkswagen come under CCI scanner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
I prefer to stick to my daily job and let qualified people do their's!
This logic would mean an almost complete negation of the DIY right here on TBHP.
We love tinkering with our cars, and we sometimes make mistakes.
So, I would like to know that if I go to an FNG store , and ask him for a ford hose, he wont be dumbfounded.

Or, even if you arent a DIYer,say you bust your slave cylinder, and every mechanic around knows how to fix it, but the ford part is only at ford.
So you pay a tow guy 1900 bucks to get a part worth 1000 bucks, and sit in the non airconned cab of the truck for 1.5 hours, sweating away and on tenterhooks watching your car getting jostled around like anything.

Personal experiences, all.

Of course, people who buy warranties, I understand, but I also don't see them going to FNGs during their warranty period.
Manufacturers can make parts available, but the mountain wont come to Mohammed, eh?
if you are in warranty, AND still you buy a part outside knowing it will void warranty, then I am sorry.
Genepool and chlorine, Id say.
Old 6th September 2012, 09:48   #107
BHPian

its really surprising that desite these companies taking us for a ride
we prefer their vehicles over TATA and Maruti
Old 19th September 2012, 18:26   #108
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car companies restricting spare parts sales

Competition panel serves notices to carmakers on anti-competitive practices

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/16463640.cms

Mods, isn't the same discussed in the thread, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...i-scanner.html
Old 6th October 2012, 10:50   #109

Here is another article on this subject-

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...rust-regulator

Apparently the manufactures are claiming that "its in the best interest for car owners to come only to the authorized service centers" using this as a reason for not selling parts over the counter. CCI has found that some parts are being sold with upto 5,000% markups. That's right 50x more than the cost of manufacturing.

This weekend, Businessworld is going to be discussing a Case Study on "Right to Repair your car where you want"

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Busine...58640677547923

This weekend the case raises the tenability of this law in India.... will be good to hear everyone's views on this. Join the discussions and give your views!
Old 29th November 2012, 10:15   #110
BHPian

could anybody put some light on this subject
are there any updates on the commissions report
Old 21st January 2013, 17:27   #111
BHPian

Customers can now purchase spare parts from any dealer:

Quote:
Consumers will soon have the choice to buy spare parts from any car dealer, if the Competition Commission of India (CII) has its way.

The fair trade regulator is understood to have found automobile manufacturers guilty of alleged anti-competitive practices on selling of spare parts at higher prices to consumers through authorised dealerships.

“The Director-General, during investigation, found automobile makers guilty of anti-competitive practices. A final order on the same is expected shortly, and the Commission is likely to issue a ‘cease and desist’ order,” sources told BusinessLine.
Source:http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle4316677.ece
sarthakgupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 20:47   #112
BHPian

re: CCI vs Car Manufacturers : Restricting over-the-counter sales of spare parts

Dr.Jagdish Khatter's take on this issue has been published on today's Economic Times. Worth reading and he has some valid point.

Read it here.
Old 1st March 2013, 16:09   #113
BHPian

re: CCI vs Car Manufacturers : Restricting over-the-counter sales of spare parts

why cant the commission enforce the Right to Repair option which is available in US which will make it mandatory for companies to provide the same information to independent repair shops as they do for dealer shops.
Old 17th March 2013, 23:18   #114
Senior - BHPian

Auto cos hauled up for monopolising spare parts sales

There is some good news for vehicle owners. The repair and maintenance costs on their cars could come down soon if a report on monopolistic behaviour of automobile makers is accepted by the country's anti-trust watchdog, the Competition Commission of India (CCI).

A report by director general (Investigation) has found 17 automobile manufacturers guilty of indulging in anti-competitive practices by restricting supply of spares in the open market.

source: rediff.com
link; connect

Last edited by rajeev k : 17th March 2013 at 23:19.
Old 19th March 2013, 13:23   #115
BHPian

CCI action against unfair practices by Motorcycle/Scooter/Car manufacturers

OK.
I read this sometime back:

Consumers will soon have the choice to buy spare parts from any car dealer, if the Competition Commission of India (CII) has its way...

competition-panel-finds-carmakers-guilty-of-monopolising-spare-parts-business

I've had the same problems with 2-wheeler manufacturers. Apparently the CCI needs us motorcycle and scooter owners to write to them. [Because removing two wheels (clips their wings) makes manufacturers ethical? ]

Go here: http://cci.gov.in/images/media/Advoc...leInfo2012.pdf

I'm sure it will be a lot of paperwork to collect and fill in all the information and make CCI act against 2-wheeler dealers and manufacturers.

The newspaper report says the CCI received lots of complaints from consumers. Dont know if they were the CCI members themselves filing complaints as consumers! There seems to be a hefty fee to file a complaint (talk about unfair practices!).

Quote:
What are the fees to be paid?
The information you file with the Commission should be accompanied by
proof of having paid the fee as under:-
a) 5000/- (Five thousand only) in case of individual, or Hindu
undivided family (HUF), or Non Government Organisation
(NGO), or Consumer Association, or Co-operative Society, or
Trust, duly registered under the respective Acts,
Maybe just write to the CCI members (long list of email ids in the brochure) complaining.
Email IDs:
cci-chairman@nic.in, cci-hcg@nic.in, cci-shivnarayan@nic.in, cci-geetagouri@nic.in, agoel@nic.in, mltayal@hotmail.com, secy@cci.gov.in, cci-akchauhan@nic.in, seema.gaur@nic.in, cci-rns@nic.in, pkpurwar@gmail.com, grw1957@gmail.com, pramod12singh@gmail.com, cci-payal.malik@nic.in, yogender.c@cci.gov.in

Lets get started!
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 13:44   #116
BHPian

Re: CCI action against unfair practices by Motorcycle/Scooter/Car manufacturers

This is a good idea. I am just going to mail these people.
manolin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 13:57   #117
Senior - BHPian

If mailing these people will help I will be happy to mail them about both the cars and bikes. Just wonder if they will be happy to get e-mails about this because that 5,000 rupee complaint fee must be a huge incentive to work. Sad but true.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 15:03   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What are the fees to be paid?
The information you file with the Commission should be accompanied by
proof of having paid the fee as under:-
a) 5000/- (Five thousand only) in case of individual, or Hindu
What about other castes? I can change my name to Wizam Ahmed Kashmiri or Peter on account of reservation

Jokes apart, how about all TBhpians unite to apply for the same? It not only helps me to stock up shims for my CBR 250R, bring down the spares prices for Ninja 250R & GT250R, but also encourage few DIYers & save on the hefty MRP prices + the 10% (crap)service tax.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 15:25   #119
BHPian

Let me add - "Benefits" of competition
1. Cheaper Spares
2. Get Workshop Manual for free or nominal cost or free softcopy
3. Manufacturers respond to customer needs (even today there is no timer on any 2 wheeler to stop the turn indicator after a set period)
4. Innovation - have you seen any hybrids in India?
5. Better Service (Imagine, your service expert actually listens and explains what needs to be done)
6. More third party service centers. No need to choose between roadside mech and dealer; qualified people can set up service centers
7. Ever had a 2-wheeler service center pickup your vehicle and drop it back at your home? [and they say labour is cheap in India]
8. Reliability [Hmm... need Ralph Nader]
9. NEW MODELS
10. Clipped Wings? [Sorry, couldn't resist!]
11. _________________________ <fill in the blanks>
Old 6th April 2013, 11:13   #120
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki faces Rs 3.4 thousand crore rap on costly spares:

Quote:
India's largest car manufacturer could face a maximum fine of up to Rs 3,400 crore if the Competition Commission upholds the findings of the director-general (investigations), who has held Maruti guilty of violating sections 3(4) and 4 of the competition law, an official aware of the developments told ET. The final hearing of the matter is on April 25.

A Maruti spokesman declined comment. "We would not comment as the matter is sub judice," he said. The probe against Maruti is part of industry-wide investigations into possible anticompetitive practices.

Apart from the steep fine, which can be up to a maximum of 10% of the annual turnover, the industry will have to fundamentally change the way it sells spare parts.

As many as 16 other carmakers have been found guilty of anti-competitive practice in the way they control their spare parts market. The report of DG (investigations) has said the exclusive contracts Maruti Suzuki had with the original equipment suppliers forbids them from supplying these spare parts to anyone else, clearly violating Section 3(4) of the Competition Act.

The Section says, "Any agreement amongst enterprises or persons at different stages or levels of the production chain in different markets, in respect of production, supply, distribution, storage, sale or price of, or trade in goods or provision of services, including; tie-in arrangement, exclusive supply agreement, exclusive distribution agreement-...shall be an agreement in contravention of sub-section 1 if such agreement causes or is likely to cause an appreciable adverse effect on competition in India".
Source:http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/19408164.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks