Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 13:18   #1
BANNED

How many cars actually seat 5 in comfort?

A question has been going on in my mind since a few days.

Last week, I had the chance to drive a Swift diesel belonging to a friend over a short distance of some 15 kms on some good roads at Noida and that, was a revelation.

The "on the rails" handling, accurate steering, minimal body roll and most of all, the feeling of "driving" than being "driven" which comes in an SUV at speeds above 100kmph was so blissful

Also, in the evergreen "Car Vs SUV" thread, one among the many reasons for buying an SUV is the 7 seats that most SUVs offer.

But I feel, that many of today's cars, well most of them do not even offer 5 comfortable seats. Some are too small, some have a huge armrest, some have a hump on the floor, some have the middle row ac ducts. The "reasons" for not being a comfortable 5 seater are many but there are no solutions.

Which intrigues me because our older desi Ambys and Padminis used to be very comfortable 5 seaters IMO and todays Lauras and Cruzes can only seat 4 .

Hence this thread to find out how many cars across all segments in India are genuine, comfortable 5 seaters as they profess to be.

Please pour in your inputs.

Last edited by n.devdath : 7th February 2011 at 13:19.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2011, 13:30   #2
BHPian

My FF does

well my FF=Ford Fusion does seat 5 in real comfort all together with no condition applies(means sufficient leg, head, shoulder, knee or whatever Room you know) along with their luggage(330 litre boot) within 4 meters of length and no fears of grounding on our Rough Roads.
Cheers
Old 7th February 2011, 13:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: How many cars actually seat 5 in comfort?

Opel Corsa seats 5 very comfortably. I have gone on a few long drives with 5 people on board and everything from the a/c, suspension, handling was never a problem.

Honda City is also not a problem at all.

Jazz though has the rear middle seat slightly elevated than the sides so wonder how comfortable that is.

Zen is a 5-seater but it only 4 can manage comfortably in the width of the car. Going by leg space at the back, even those 2 have a problem.

Indigo I think has a huge leg room and a comfortable 5-seater.
Old 7th February 2011, 13:34   #4
BANNED

Re: My FF does

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
well my FF=Ford Fusion does seat 5 in real comfort all together with no condition applies(means sufficient leg, head, shoulder, knee or whatever Room you know) along with their luggage(330 litre boot) within 4 meters of length and no fears of grounding on our Rough Roads.
Cheers
The Fusion indeed was ahead of its times in India and apart from its styling which was not to everyone's liking, ticked all the right boxes.
Sadly, it is not in production anymore.

@Libran:- The City gets too low with 5 on board and then it scrapes speed breakers and other undulations on the road is what I have noticed. The Indigo is a 5 seater but the seat is not ergonomic and hence not comfortable. Yes, it has immense legroom though.

Last edited by n.devdath : 7th February 2011 at 13:37.
Old 7th February 2011, 13:41   #5
BHPian

Have you ever tried Indica VISTA? IMO it is a true 5 seater. Honda City Zxi (though discontinued) is also a 5 seater. To my surprise I am not able to recollect any Maruti Hatch or sedan which is actually a 5 seater.
Old 7th February 2011, 13:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

It depends on what type of people are sitting at the back. If the three guys are lean fellows then even a swift would look more than comfortable. If its avg Indian male then 3 would sit at the back but with some elbowing. However some who is real healthy, only two can accomodate at the max.

It also depends on the body type of the vehicle. Say for an SUV its comfortable, but for an hatchback or a sedan it may not be the case. For eg Logan is one car where can people sit comfortably at the back. Even in my Fiesta its the case but not for the too healthy people.

I still remember, a six of us used to go in my uncle's Premier Padmini. Three confortable int he front and the back. Gone are those days.
Old 7th February 2011, 13:51   #7
BHPian

All Tata cars are the most comfortable ones.I used to have a indica and i am yet to see a hatchback more comfortable to sit in (barring indica vista) .
Old 7th February 2011, 13:57   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
@Libran:- The City gets too low with 5 on board and then it scrapes speed breakers and other undulations on the road is what I have noticed. The Indigo is a 5 seater but the seat is not ergonomic and hence not comfortable. Yes, it has immense legroom though.
I can't think of any car that does not scrape speed breakers; the fault lies in the stupid and unscientific way in which they are built. My Corsa can scrape it's bottom with even just 1 person in it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post
To my surprise I am not able to recollect any Maruti Hatch or sedan which is actually a 5 seater.
Zen, sir is a 5-seater. Don't know about the car that came later.
Old 7th February 2011, 14:03   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidms View Post
All Tata cars are the most comfortable ones.I used to have a indica and i am yet to see a hatchback more comfortable to sit in (barring indica vista) .
I think the transmission tunnel [hunch] at the back makes it very hard for the 5th person to be comfortable. How can we reduce the hunch or remove it so that people can be comfortable? I know Logan has a flat rear panel and so is City?
Old 7th February 2011, 14:07   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hence this thread to find out how many cars across all segments in India are genuine, comfortable 5 seaters as they profess to be.
Among VFM cars:
Logan. It even has 3 head rests on rear seat!
Linea (it has rear AC vents too)
i20 (widest hatch)
Maybe Etios (almost flat tunnel, but integrated head rests is a -ve).

Last edited by ajay0612 : 7th February 2011 at 14:14. Reason: editing
Old 7th February 2011, 14:13   #11
BHPian

The Palio did seat 5 in comfort.

Off the current lot, I'd reckon that the Manza might be able to seat 5 in comfort.
Old 7th February 2011, 14:22   #12
BHPian

My Accent (2003 model) can seat 3 moderately built adults in the back seat and no problem of scrapping the bottom. (even did trips with 4 fellows in the back, but with some difficulty though)
Only problem is with ingress & outgress for elders in the family due to its low seating position.
Old 7th February 2011, 14:27   #13
BHPian

Over the past years, the general car buying public in India (esp. in the lower segments), had their focus more on "How many people can travel in it" than "How comfortable". This also has perhaps something to do with its family-based culture, unlike in the west, where most of the times, it is more of a luxurious 2-seater affair. However, most modern day sedans in India try to achieve more comfort for the "Saheb" sitting at the rear seat (OR for the 4 people in the car + perhaps, a kid), than try to fit more people. The good old Amby used to have a rear "Bench" design than the rear "Couch"... & regarding the hunch, most sedans seem to have that "issue"(if we can call it an issue); for instance, all VW cars have it. Same time, some cars actually seem to give a shot at both, by giving 3 headrests at the rear (eg. Fiat Linea), but we all know the limitations of space in a sedan. Having said that, even some of the SUVs seem to have 2 rear-seat design these days. So, clearly the design focus for cars in India has changed from utility to comfort/luxury.

Last edited by JJames : 7th February 2011 at 14:33.
Old 7th February 2011, 14:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

It all depends on the size on the individuals occupying the rear seat.To be honest,all the new age sedans are designed to comfortably seat only 4.
Old 7th February 2011, 14:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Comfortable 5 seater this side of Rs. 6 lakh? IMO these cars will qualify.
1. Vista / Manza
2. Etios
3. Logan
4. i20

Too close to be comfortable for 3 at rear.
1. Indica / Indigo
2. Punto / Figo / Fabia
3. Aveo U-VA

That's all I can think of right now.

Last edited by HammerHead : 7th February 2011 at 14:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks