Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2012, 05:04   #91
BHPian

re: Avis now offering self-driven SUVs : EDIT : Now DISCONTINUED

I have read in the forum that the taxi association/union in Leh allows only local taxis for local trips in Ladakh. Is this applicable to the self drive rental vehicles also or do Allow them?
Old 20th July 2012, 15:11   #92
BHPian

Those taxi unions do not have an problem with self driven vehicles - the ones with the yelow lettering on a black number plate. What they dont allow are taxis that are not registered with their union.
Kairalee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 00:12   #93
Ovi

Hi All

We are a group of 7 people who are planning a trip to Rajastan in Dec (Delhi-Jaipur-Jodhpur-Ranthambore-Pushkar). Now while I have a Safari, all 7 of us won't be able to fit in it and so we were looking at hiring a self-drive Innova. Avis does have this option available, but I had a few questions around the same:
1. Since 7 people in the Innova would leave no room for luggage, do Avis offer roof-racks on their cars?
2. Are the roof-racks that are generally found on Innovas big enough to carry 7 people's luggage?
3. Is there any other company which is known to offer self drive vehicles, preferably SUVs like the Fortuner or Endeavour?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Cheers
Ovi
Old 18th November 2012, 10:59   #94
Senior - BHPian

A quick question: Is there any possibility of hiring a luggage trailer/brake van, which can be attached to my Safari? Asking this because we are planning a long self drive tour in the next 3 months, with 6 adults on board. Dont want to put in a roof luggage rack on my car. If I can source a US style luggage trailer, which we can tow along, it would be perfect. Your inputs needed please!!!
Old 18th November 2012, 16:52   #95
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
A quick question: Is there any possibility of hiring a luggage trailer/brake van, which can be attached to my Safari? Asking this because we are planning a long self drive tour in the next 3 months, with 6 adults on board.
6 people on board the Safari, even without luggage would be a pressure test for the 6th person, even though he or she may be short or a kid.

I do not recommend more than 4 people in any car for a long distance trip and this includes the Innova as well. You are better off with 2 cars with 3 people each and luggage space as well.

It is possible get some kind of a trailer if you look around in your city but it will in now way be as insulated and sophisticated like the ones found abroad and will hamper your speed, handling and a lot of other factors.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 23:21   #96
Ovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
6 people on board the Safari, even without luggage would be a pressure test for the 6th person, even though he or she may be short or a kid.

I do not recommend more than 4 people in any car for a long distance trip and this includes the Innova as well. You are better off with 2 cars with 3 people each and luggage space as well.

It is possible get some kind of a trailer if you look around in your city but it will in now way be as insulated and sophisticated like the ones found abroad and will hamper your speed, handling and a lot of other factors.
I totally agree with your view about not overloading a car with people for long drives. But in my case, my group is insistent on travelling together, hence the query! Actually the only viable option seems to be an Innova with a roof carrier, so was looking to see what self-drive options were available with the car rental companies.
Old 19th November 2012, 01:06   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovi View Post
I totally agree with your view about not overloading a car with people for long drives. But in my case, my group is insistent on travelling together, hence the query! Actually the only viable option seems to be an Innova with a roof carrier, so was looking to see what self-drive options were available with the car rental companies.

I've booked two innovas for a weekend trip (24th Nov - 26th) to Jim Corbett with Avis. Will let you know the condition of the cars/other details by the 26th. Do keep in mind its quite pricey though compared to its competitors. I'm paying 14k per car for 3 days without counting fuel.
saketa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 07:36   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketa View Post
I've booked two innovas for a weekend trip (24th Nov - 26th) to Jim Corbett with Avis. Will let you know the condition of the cars/other details by the 26th. Do keep in mind its quite pricey though compared to its competitors. I'm paying 14k per car for 3 days without counting fuel.

14K per car is a lot.Is it Self Drive option? They have lot of offers/discounts running. I am planning to book Innova for Dec last week. the quote comes around 7k for 3 days.
Are there any additional charges apart from the prices quoted on the website.

Also the Innova you get may be of a petrol model. I called up their office and they were not willing to commit a diesel vehicle.
Old 19th November 2012, 12:32   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
A quick question: Is there any possibility of hiring a luggage trailer/brake van, which can be attached to my Safari? Asking this because we are planning a long self drive tour in the next 3 months, with 6 adults on board. Dont want to put in a roof luggage rack on my car. If I can source a US style luggage trailer, which we can tow along, it would be perfect. Your inputs needed please!!!
6 adults in a Safari will make the rear of the truck sag and will negatively affect handling on long drives. Moreover, those folks seated in the rear jump seats will not survive the ordeal for more than a couple of hours. Packing in too many people in a Safari defeats the very USP of this "Sofa in a truck"...i.e., comfortable long journeys.

Ideally, take two cars/SUVs/MUVs so you'll get enough space for passengers and luggage. You can still drive in a convoy style and be together at pitstops and/or shuffle passengers between the two cars so everyone gets a chance to interact with each other.

I don't think you'll get a tow cargo trailer for hire in India. There are many RTO restrictions and permits that need to be taken care of before you can hitch a cargo trailer to your truck and take it on a road trip.
Old 1st March 2013, 15:58   #100
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Have any one used carzonrent in delhi. Their rates appears to far less compared to AVIS
Old 1st March 2013, 16:33   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
14K per car is a lot.Is it Self Drive option? They have lot of offers/discounts running. I am planning to book Innova for Dec last week. the quote comes around 7k for 3 days.
Are there any additional charges apart from the prices quoted on the website.

Also the Innova you get may be of a petrol model. I called up their office and they were not willing to commit a diesel vehicle.
Hi Marlon - Any updates on how the experience and the actual cost was post your trip will be useful.
Old 7th March 2013, 20:34   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Hi Marlon - Any updates on how the experience and the actual cost was post your trip will be useful.
Nilesh,

Innova is not available with Avis in Chennai.

I had to opt for a local guy. I got a Xylo at Rs2750 per day with limited mileage of 250 km/day.
Marlon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 19:08   #103
Senior - BHPian

Planning a trip to Leh/Ladakh sometime in July. The plan is to fly from Chennai to Delhi and then look at a self-drive option in a SUV or MUV from Delhi.

Any recommendations on the self-drive option, any idea on the rates from Avis or Orix for an Innova or Endy?
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:25   #104
Team-BHP Support

Re: Avis now offering self-driven SUVs : EDIT : Now DISCONTINUED

Note from mod: AVIS no longer offers this. So closing thread. I called up their customer care in Delhi to Inquire, and now they only have sedans, hatches and Toyota Innova
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks