Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your preferred footwear for driving?
Barefoot! 80 13.72%
Flip flops/Chappal/Slippers 57 9.78%
Canvas shoes 42 7.20%
Regular sports/walking shoes 311 53.34%
Leather shoes 17 2.92%
Driving shoes 54 9.26%
Other 22 3.77%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2021, 10:40   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Ideal footwear for driving

For my daily drive to work, I have to wear Safety Shoes as those are mandatory at work. As the drive is max. 15~20mins each side, I don't prefer to keep another pair in vehicle and change in office parking.

For rest of the time I prefer light canvas type shoes, currently using Clarks Cloudsteppers. They let sufficient amount of pedal feel (including vibrations) for me to be 'connected' to vehicle.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 12:04   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

I have experimented with a lot of shoes and I have come to a conclusion that best to drive with, were the shoes used to play football in turf grounds. They have extremely thin soles which are not the best for walking around but while driving they make a big difference (they are pretty snug fit so the foot can start paining if driving for very long). I feel the most confident in them while driving a manual car, with thick sole shoes I have always stalled at-least once in the entire journey! While driving an automatic I wear any shoe I find.
Old 10th July 2021, 12:56   #123
Senior - BHPian

I drive with whatever I am wearing at that point of time. Never had a problem whatsoever.
myavu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 18:41   #124
BHPian

Voted Regular sports/walking shoes.

Anything apart from "wooden" soles and barefoot is ok for me. Most of the times it's a sneaker.

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 10th July 2021 at 18:42.
Old 10th July 2021, 20:00   #125
Senior - BHPian

I never prefer shoes for long drives. It's always snug fit footwear for me. My current one is a Crocs, it's comfortable but too light.

i've always felt along with the fit and grip on the pedals, the right weight of footwear goes a long way in making long drives comfortable, more so if you're driving a MT. Too lighter or too heavy would pain the feet. I also have the habit of removing them altogether and drive barefoot for couple of hours during a long haul which I feel would make the blood flow a little better.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideal footwear for driving-images.jpeg48.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 10th July 2021 at 20:04.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 20:34   #126
Senior - BHPian

I like the breezy comfort of my Keen. Gives me a good grip, always. Sometimes it takes me trekking and is waterproof too. Problem is, it's not available in India
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 21:28   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

I bought these for driving. They're fantastic to drive in, but an absolute pain in the......heel for walking. Or anything apart from driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideal footwear for driving-screenshot_20210710_212616.jpg  

mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 08:39   #128
BHPian

Whenever I am driving especially over longer distances, I go Barefoot!! This is much to the irritation of my better half (because whenever we stop and need to exit the vehicle, it takes me a while since I have to put my shoes back on at that time) but I cannot find the same feel and grip on the pedals using any other footwear.
Old 11th July 2021, 09:41   #129
BHPian

When I used to drive, I used to wear sandal shoes aka sandals with a belt around the ankle. Those allowed my feet to breathe and didn't cause foot swelling like shoes. And they weren't risky like slippers or sandals. Sadly, this option is not there in the poll or else I would have voted for it
Old 11th July 2021, 09:47   #130
BHPian

For me, it depends on the type of accelerator.
Regular suspended type: mostly cloth/leather shoes. Doesn't work well with chappals. Okayish with woodlands.

Organ type: works well with just about anything you wear, even chappal. Especially chappal. Usable with woodlands as well.

Only thing I haven't tried so far is driving barefoot. Seeing everyone's replies, I'm now tempted to do so.
Old 11th July 2021, 09:58   #131
BHPian

In the UAE, you are not supposed to wear anything other than shoes, when you are learning driving or appearing for road tests conducted by the police. Whereas in India ( particularly in my town), the driving school instructors ask you to remove your shoes or sandals while driving.
Old 11th July 2021, 10:05   #132

Never tried barefoot (been driving for the past one year only). Had an ACL tear a couple of years back and the right knee bothers me sometime. So I stick to a sports/casual shoe for long drives. Tried slippers, but had knee pain at the end of the drive.For city drives, alternate between a slipper/shoe - with a thick bottom. Have driven with formal shoes but not for long distances.
Old 11th July 2021, 10:10   #133
BHPian

I used to drive in Bata Hushpuppies. However after about 1 year there was a hole in the right sole with all that pressing of the accelarater. I suspect this will be the same for all shoes / slip-ons etc which have thinner soles. So now I drive wearing sneakers which have thick soles. Thick soles have the advantage that just a little tap / pressing is enough.
Old 11th July 2021, 10:26   #134
BHPian

I've been using Crocs for driving for more than a decade now, unless I'm driving to work or to an occasion. I know, they're not exactly the most fashionable option , but I'd swear by their functionality.

They are soft, snug, and airy, and have rounded heels which makes it easy to switch between pedals, making them supremely comfortable to wear while driving, especially over long distances. I always make it a point to carry my Crocs along if I have to drive with other footwear, so that I can switch to them for the drive back home .

Cheers!

Ideal footwear for driving-15907_410_alt140.jpeg
Turbojc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 10:58   #135
BHPian

I do a 1000kms single day drive twice a year and I find that a good pair of sneakers give the best of all worlds considering there would be a few stops for fuel, food, loo etc and I do not like changing, putting on or taking off footwear while driving.

Soles with heels or increased height at the heel areas are not recommended as they can strain ones ankle especially with constant use of the A pedal.

Flip-flops and sandals without ankle straps are a strict no-no. In fact, no openings would be the best since there would be nothing to get caught in. These things matter in the event of panic braking.

I don't drive barefoot purely as a personal choice as I don't find it comfortable.
DeadCenter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks