Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your preferred footwear for driving?
Barefoot! 80 13.72%
Flip flops/Chappal/Slippers 57 9.78%
Canvas shoes 42 7.20%
Regular sports/walking shoes 311 53.34%
Leather shoes 17 2.92%
Driving shoes 54 9.26%
Other 22 3.77%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2023, 10:55   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ideal footwear for driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
These:

https://yoholife.in/pages/lofos

They're just brilliant for driving.
Yes, these are the type of shoes that are the best for driving. They fit snugly, they aren't so bulky.

Chappals are the worst kind, especially those loose-fitting ones.
Old 23rd May 2023, 11:26   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
1. Contrast Baths- alternately soak you foot in hot and cold water
2. It helped when I wound a small section of crepe bandage around the middle of my foot to raise the arch up.
3. No shoes bought for how fashionable they are. No shoes without any trials. The shoes that helped me enormously are Clarks for office, and Skechers, specifically Razor 3 or later, or Hoka for sports wear.
I too had similar issue for prolonged period and fully agree with above suggestions.

But do include regular calf and feet exercise along with laser physio therapy treatment for faster results. Refer link below.

https://www.healthline.com/health/fi...hes#stretching
Old 23rd May 2023, 11:34   #228
BHPian

I'd say -
1. Go to a doc and get a professional opinion.
2. Skechers are the best for long drives since the hell is very soft and rounded which is perfect. Loafers and sneakers are useless in comparison.
3. Weight reduction you and I are on the same boat. There is no alternative.
4. Cruise control as much as possible. I praise the thar for having a one touch cruise solution.
5. If you must chappal, then crocs uniband work best for me. Your mileage may vary.
wooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 12:59   #229
BHPian

Recently I have started using thin soled shoes for driving.
The current one I am using is Aqua from HRX brand. These are for use in water sports as per the company and gives a good grip while giving a feel of the pedals.
Ideal footwear for driving-hrx.png
Those looking for a cheap and effective driving shoes can consider this.
It is washable and dries very quickly and does not tend to sweat your feet.
It is not very good for long walks because of the extremely thin sole.
Old 23rd May 2023, 14:47   #230
BHPian

As a Team-BHP enthusiast, the majority of members can suggest methods and utilities for driving comfort. However, I must request you get medical screening and treatment ASAP before things get worse.

Below heel pad might help you during driving:

Frido Orthopedic Heel Pads for Heel Pain Relief, Heel Insole for Extra Cushioning and Comfort, Slim Designed Heel Cushions for Shock Absorption, Plantar Fasciitis Support, Heel Aggravation & Spur Relief Heel Cups, Large (UK 8 - 11), Pack of 1
https://www.amazon.in/Frido-Orthoped...0BXKT3K3L?th=1
Attached Thumbnails
Ideal footwear for driving-frida.jpg  

Briarean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 15:38   #231
Team-BHP Support

Few of us mods are using Onitsuka Mexico 66 and they are pretty good for driving. Very good pedal feel and since they are using canvas, it stays comfortable (& not insulated).

Ideal footwear for driving-d3k0n_5099_sr_fr_glb1.jpg

Pretty decent to walk in to as well but only on good surfaces, especially tiled floors (think mall / airport strolling).
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 10:50   #232

Thanks a lot Mayank.

I must say I am really touched by the sheer number of people who came forward with so many wonderful, well researched and tried solutions. TeamBHP is blessed to have so many considerate, caring members.

Cheers to each one of you.
Old 7th January 2024, 05:11   #233
BHPian

Anyone tried these https://www.decathlon.in/p/960738/me...=960738&type=p

I find these the Most Comfortable for driving. They are super flexible, thin sole, Cheap and surprisingly very comfortable.

MaSh
Attached Thumbnails
Ideal footwear for driving-sandals.jpg  

Last edited by mashmash : 7th January 2024 at 05:15.
Old 7th January 2024, 08:31   #234
Senior - BHPian

As far as driving footwear is concerned, I have no particular preference whether it is for short drives or long ones. I usually wear my regular footwear like chappals or sports or casual shoe and had never thought about these things. But I don't need to drive barefoot; I had learnt driving wearing footwear.
Old 8th January 2024, 12:51   #235
BHPian

2 or 3 decades ago i have seen many driving instructors asking their students to remove footwear to feel the accelerator and drive. I have seen that backfired as people who got trained, every time need to remove it while driving and got addicted.

I made sure i drive with whatever footwear i am wearing after seeing those peoples struggle. Nowadays i dont think any instructors ask people to remove. So i feel all good nowadays.
Old 8th January 2024, 14:01   #236
BHPian

Driving with sandals/slippers is utterless dangerous! My friend got into a very tricky situation once where the accelerator pedal and the chapal got lodged between the right foot. Luckily it was a manual and nobody was on the road. He could engage the clutch and put the car in Neutral, and stop the car.
I almost always wear shoes while driving. If I happen to be wearing slippers, I will drive barefoot. For long distance driving, I keep a pair of knitted slip-on sneakers with me. They are super comfy, breathable and less constricting.

Old 8th January 2024, 15:36   #237
Senior - BHPian

I use a basic el cheapo shoes from Decathlon while driving the Gurkha as the footwell is pretty narrow. Found this to be the most comfortable as I get a good feel of the pedals. After the drive, i change over to my Woodland outdoors which i keep in the boot.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 8th January 2024 at 15:37.
Old 8th January 2024, 17:48   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quite surprisingly after coming to Mumbai and driving for extended hours in rush hour traffic (freeway as well as bumper to bumper) I have come to conclusion that I prefer the formal shoes.

Like most on this thread, I had the opinion that flexible, light, airy footwear would be great. However, driving around with formal wear I have realized a few things that flexible, light, airy footwear (like floaters, crocs, sports shoes, etc) do not offer:
- a flat and rigid base that you can rest on the floor without your heels feeling the weight of your entire leg
- the flat and rigid base that can press against the accelerator and brake pedal with minimal effort (since the foot is pivoted at the heel-side and only the toe side needs to be pressed) without bending, just like organ type pedals
- the flat and rigid base allows you to simply pivot the foot right/left to accelerator/brake without lifting your foot up at all
- the flat and rigid base of the footwear is usually wide, which means less amount of left/right movement - thus less strain on your upper thigh muscles (that are connected to your torso)

Last edited by alpha1 : 8th January 2024 at 17:50.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks