Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your preferred footwear for driving?
Barefoot! 80 13.72%
Flip flops/Chappal/Slippers 57 9.78%
Canvas shoes 42 7.20%
Regular sports/walking shoes 311 53.34%
Leather shoes 17 2.92%
Driving shoes 54 9.26%
Other 22 3.77%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2021, 22:00   #166
BHPian

re: Ideal footwear for driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Hey, are these woodland moccasins? I have the exact same colour style from Woodland

Generally drive in any footwear, crocs, loafers, running shoes etc...I drive in anything except slippers. Drove maybe one or two times barefeet but felt very uncomfortable besides feeling like a black & yellow taxi driver of yore (no offence to anyone).

Only drawback with running shoes is that due to heavily cushioned soles, need to adjust seat position. Most comfortable are the loafers but again I won't specifically wear loafers only because I'm driving.

Cheers
Unfortunately no. These are driving mocassins from a company called Acemarks.
Old 11th July 2021, 23:06   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Whenever I am out on long trips, theres only one way to drive : Barefoot! This is the only way I "feel" my car the most...and it results in a precision oriented driving style.

GTO

Accelerating barefoot feels good.

Pressing the brakes - that's where I had an issue. I tried braking with shoes on vs barefoot and realized that if its an emergency sort of a situation, with shoes always wins. So I wear proper shoes while driving from a safety perspective.

The only time I found shoes being "dangerous" was when you have a car with rubber pedals (not the metal sports pedals) and wet shoes. In this situation barefoot is safer.
Old 12th July 2021, 00:30   #168
BHPian

Wow what a topic! Only TBHPians can wax eloquent for 12 pages on choice of footwear when driving. And then some of our family members/partners wonder why are we so engaged on this forum

I learnt driving barefoot but never really took to it. For city drives a particular choice of footwear doesn’t really matter to me, while on highways I prefer my B/W chequered Vans (on my 3rd pair now!). They sit tight, the soles are grippy rubber and the top is supremely breathable. The last bit is important to me as I periodically need to air my feet through the shoes (else my feet ‘feel’ imprisoned/suffocated - I know it’s mental but it’s a quirk that I just can’t get rid of).

The one thing I hate doing, though have done it infrequently back when daily office commute was a thing, is driving in formal leather shoes. They’re uncomfortable and very slippery.
Old 12th July 2021, 06:21   #169

I’m comfortable with anything ranging from flip flops to casual/formal/running shoes. Only exception is shoes with thicker and tougher soles (woodland etc.,).

PS: Once I returned home after playing some football. Mom wanted me to park the car a few feet behind so that she can clean the floor beneath car. And I happened to drive the car wearing football studs. That was such a bad idea
Luckily, I managed to stop the car in time.
So trainer/studs is a NO.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideal footwear for driving-66df5e8307de45488127697d665e3db8.jpeg  

RoboCop13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 07:45   #170
BHPian

I feel the high barefoot vote has to do with how we were traditionally taught to drive in this country. There a very many of us that were taught to drive barefoot and now that continues as the default for quite a few. In the 80s my mom would have to take her footwear off to drive us to school; it’s a vivid memory. My dad insisted I learn with shoes on in our 118NE. Now ironically I feel weird driving barefoot. I can do it, but I dislike the feeling.
Old 12th July 2021, 08:25   #171
Senior - BHPian

For me it's any shoe which has a thin sole. This gives the best feedback to the driver. I did experiment with barefoot too. While it was better than driving with chappals, I found the best feedback coming from shoes with a thin sole. Hence those gigantic Woodlands with a thick sole are a no no for me while driving as are flipflops, chappals etc.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 09:41   #172
BHPian

There isn't an option 'any pair of shoes'. I am comfortable with any pair, but uncomfortable with bare foot. I guess soccer boots with spikes and bicycling cleats are uncomfortable too. I anchor the end of my heel to the car's floor and move the toe part upwards and let the clutch pedal slip under. That makes shoes with friction/grip or bare foot uncomfortable.
Old 12th July 2021, 10:16   #173
BHPian

Any Regular Shoe would do just fine for me. There was a time when I was pretty much comfortable driving barefoot but now I'm just not comfortable at all. I can manage with even slippers but definitely not barefoot. I once tried using my Woodland trekking shoes for driving and boy I had to remove that after ~100 mts and instead chose my good old walking sandals(always kept in the car)

Last edited by srivatsahg : 12th July 2021 at 10:16. Reason: Removed unnecessary 'I'
Old 12th July 2021, 10:19   #174
BHPian

I always prefer shoes and cannot do barefoot at all.

Ever since I left my corporate job, I always prefer sports shoes. Not just while driving, but always. My feet feels so relaxed and I can't even think of wearing formal shoes now.

Any time I go out from my home , my favorite go to brands are Nike ( especially their Air max models) or Under Armour.
Old 12th July 2021, 11:07   #175
BHPian

I have never driven barefoot and don't plan to do so ever. I need shoes/sandals or something that fits snug. Even slippers are a no-no for me. It makes me nervous if something is loose on my feet and my reaction or foot action gets delayed due to that.

Since, I have been driving manual diesels since last decade, the pedal feeling is a bit uncomfortable. I need some damping. The vibrations are always there on the clutch/accelerator.

This has been my routine always. On some drives, I use my running shoes only for driving.
Old 12th July 2021, 12:03   #176
BHPian

Voted for Slippers/flip-flops as I did most of the driving using slippers, flip-flops.

But, I recently bought this:
Ideal footwear for driving-shoes.png

They seem comfortable but did not get a chance to use them for long drives.
ketan007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 12:24   #177
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Any chappal which has a tight foot grip is OK. I prefer chappals for long drives (easy to remove). I use to drive barefoot especially at night and ensure the footwear is safely kept away from the pedals.

NB: This thread has become a good advt for footwear .
Old 12th July 2021, 13:43   #178
BHPian

It has to be a good comfortable shoes for me during long drives, presently I use Skechers Slip-ons for any highway run. I manage with slippers for short distance but I am not at all comfortable with it slipping slowly away from my foot. My dad drives barefoot, I tried few times but I just could not get adjusted to that.
Old 12th July 2021, 15:22   #179
BHPian

I prefer the one with wider sole just below the feet, so that It doesn’t slips while pressing the accelerator during quick overtake scenario’s or whenever situation demands. I encountered this issue on few occasions with my current footwear which is bit narrow at the feet end and it’s a safety concern.

We would have made up our mind to overtake considering the speed of the vehicle in the front and the back, try to floor the pedal but feet slip off’s and all I hear is a loud honk from behind, god’s grace the situation passed with no other events, so better get a wider one with good grip. Drive safe

Sample footwear with wider sole, but again it depends on the foot size as well.

Name:  shoe.PNG
Views: 1298
Size:  241.7 KB
Old 12th July 2021, 15:32   #180
Senior - BHPian

Depends, but only shoes for me. Some cars have good spacing between A,B and C pedals others don't. For instance, I could not drive Kwid with bulky Columbia shoes but was happy in Innova.I usually prefer shoes with harder sole and softer liner. Since my foot is wider than usual, I try to avoid bulky shoes like say Woodland.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed