Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your preferred footwear for driving?
Barefoot! 80 13.72%
Flip flops/Chappal/Slippers 57 9.78%
Canvas shoes 42 7.20%
Regular sports/walking shoes 311 53.34%
Leather shoes 17 2.92%
Driving shoes 54 9.26%
Other 22 3.77%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2021, 11:22   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Ideal footwear for driving

What category do crocs fall under ? they ain't chappals/flipflops or shoes. Have been wearing crocs for years now on long journeys. They also double up as all weather/terrain footwear if needed(journey is never A to B for me)

But there was a time i used to wear sneakers due to the heavy diesel clutch in city conditions. Petrol cars have feather light clutch in comparison.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 11:38   #137
Senior - BHPian

Laceless Vans have worked the best for me. They are lightweight, comfortable and shaped just right. Sometimes also wear Converse Chuck Taylors.

Laceless Vans have the added benefit of being great to walk in too, plus take off footwear easily when entering homes/establishments. They have become my default footwear for anything that needs more than sandals.

So much so that I replaced even my more "formal" shoes with laceless leather (screw style). Same benefits as laceless Vans, just a tad dressier and heavier when I'm wearing something with a collar and front buttons.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 11th July 2021 at 11:45.
rajushank84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 11:55   #138
Senior - BHPian

During my initial years of driving it was barefoot. Why ? Because that is how the driving instructor at my school instructed me to do it. However a year or two into driving, I always wear footwear. As for preference, there is nothing like that and will drive with whatever I am wearing at the moment. However I do avoid the loose chappals and similar ones which can come off while driving.
Old 11th July 2021, 11:56   #139
BHPian

I am not very comfortable on using "driving only" shoes as these are only intended for driving and unlike sports car drivers on track, my needs for most part includes driving, stepping out for chores, walking with a combination of all these even for long drives. So as a preference I would choose a comfortable, walking shoes but in all cases would avoid certain oversized flip flops and chappals with PVC kind of soles as that tend to slip from the pedals. Barring these, any comfortable pair of shoes or footwear would do for me. My current preferred ones are my crocs and face no pedal spacing issues on all the cars that i drive.

Ideal footwear for driving-crocs.jpg
shinuak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 12:08   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
I am not very comfortable on using "driving only" shoes as these are only intended for driving and unlike sports car drivers on track, my needs for most part includes driving, stepping out for chores, walking with a combination of all these even for long drives. So as a preference I would choose a comfortable, walking shoes but in all cases would avoid certain oversized flip flops and chappals with PVC kind of soles as that tend to slip from the pedals. Barring these, any comfortable pair of shoes or footwear would do for me. My current preferred ones are my crocs and face no pedal spacing issues on all the cars that i drive.

Attachment 2177771

Glad to meet a fellow croc petrol head aficionado. I was just at the last page on this thread going into type that I wear Crocs and they're so comfortable for everything and I couldn't believe that was the last post 👍
4Runner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 12:11   #141
BHPian

I prefer driving with shoes that grip my feet nicely.

I wear any and everything while driving but speaking of preference, any loose-fitting footwear like sandals, Crocs, flip-flops, slip-on shoes, etc are out.

My go-to has mostly been the simple and age-old Converse classic chucks.

You can tighten them to fit very well and wearing those shoes, you can go everywhere - high-end shops, footpaths, bad stretches of terrains, etc.

However, I would love to get tight-fitting leather sneakers for the sole purpose of driving.
Old 11th July 2021, 12:25   #142
HKP
BHPian

Crocs. Specifically, the crocs Unisex-Adult Offroad Sport Clog
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07SSS4XDP/...3MERFBGJPFT9HX

Comfortable, all-weather, waterproof, good grip and non-slippery. I used to use canvas and running shoes earlier but considering how dirty and slushy some parking, petrol bunk, restrooms on the way are, I moved to Crocs.

(Didn't vote as Crocs doesn't fit in the options given)

\\hkp

Last edited by HKP : 11th July 2021 at 12:26. Reason: format issues
HKP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 12:32   #143
BHPian

I use converse or Nike sneakers, find it much better than walking or running shoes for driving as soles are not that thick
Old 11th July 2021, 12:41   #144
BHPian

I always prefer a footwear with a relatively stiff sole. And a blackstrap is a absolute must. So it’s either a pair of shoes or sandals with straps put on properly.

Driving Bare foot or in flip flops is an absolute no! Not only is that uncomfortable but also quite dangerous!
Old 11th July 2021, 13:08   #145
BHPian

Before this thread - I didn’t even know this was something to be considered. I just wear the shoes (usually sports shoes or sneakers) that make me feel comfortable. Seems to have worked out well till date.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 13:37   #146
BHPian

Whoa!! A topic on driving shoes !!!
Man, I have never even thought about it till now. I used to wear anything that first caught my eye from the shoe rack except for slippers!
Have even driven barefoot, especially when one's shoes get totally wet in the rain. The vibrations (even if less) tend to warm up my feet after they had got wet.
Yes, I do agree that a sports shoe is more comfortable to drive with.
It is interesting that such topics are thrown up and we get to see so many different perspectives that one would never have even thought off.
Am glad for this forum!!
Kudos BHPians!!
Old 11th July 2021, 13:38   #147
BHPian

To office, then it is the shoes that I wear, black or brown leather oxfords. Long distance, I prefer driving shoes.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideal footwear for driving-img_20201002_125128.jpg  

Seeler_Rebeiro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 13:50   #148
Senior - BHPian

Voted for regular shoes but any footwear will do. It doesn't matter as long as you have a comfortable footwear.

Not surprised to see people voting for barefoot. This is an Indian phenomenon I guess - people pick up this habit from some of those incompetent driving school instructors.

I was asked to remove my footwear by my driving instructor, but I insisted on wearing it. He did not agree and I had to learn my driving lessons barefoot. Started driving with footwear the moment I got my driving license.

Advise to anyone driving barefoot - please start getting comfortable driving with your footwear. That is how the world drives. It can even give you embarrassing moments while you take off the footwear and wear it back again before and after a driving session.

EDIT: Was reading the posts that talk about the precision you get while driving barefoot - It is just an acquired thing. You can be as precise while wearing footwear too. It is just a matter of getting used to.

Last edited by clevermax : 11th July 2021 at 14:04.
Old 11th July 2021, 14:22   #149
BHPian

Omg. I never knew we get driving shoes for regular drivers. I thought it’s only for track purpose and race car drivers.
But I am fine with any kind of footwear except barefoot. I had driven barefoot only for 2 minutes till date ; when I drove for the first time in a ground. And then my feet started aching because of patterns on the pedals.
I use slippers only for short drives and parking the car around the house.
Long distances , I need Sandals or shoes.
Old 11th July 2021, 14:50   #150
BHPian

Interesting topic. I’m currently on my third pair of Birkenstock sandals which I find perfect for driving my classics. The open structure keeps my foot cool in Mumbai heat and the slightly raised heel is perfect for pivoting between the brakes and accelerator. Plus they are super comfy was walking and give your foot fantastic support. Try these out. You won’t regret it.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideal footwear for driving-caf89d1eafeb4bef9125fa718950a822.jpeg  

manishk123 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks