Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 16:59   #556
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

look out Toyota
Honda is out to prove a point about making small cars suited for Indian conditions
I think brio is going to affect the sales of Micra, Figo i20 and Liva
Old 6th September 2011, 17:59   #557
BHPian

If priced right the Brio could very well upset the applecart of the Maruti Swift petrol version. Honda is knocking at the Swift from both ends and considering the snob value of a Honda, with the interior space advantage, equal if not better fit and finish, Honda looks like being the outright winner.

The Honda City has established itself as the sedan to beat in the petrol segment and the Brio/Jazz twins are likely to do the same in the premium hatch segment.
Old 6th September 2011, 18:24   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by san2 View Post
look out Toyota
Honda is out to prove a point about making small cars suited for Indian conditions
I think brio is going to affect the sales of Micra, Figo i20 and Liva
San2:

Going by what I am seeing in the pics. Dont think Brio is targetted at the Swifts/ Micra/ Figo.
I only seeing the car to be too small to be even part of this segment. I am guessing it falls into segment between the Alto and WagonR. Probably the A-Star / Estilo segment.

But again that is not challenging, cos Honda will be trying to sell A-Star equalent at Micra's price. It will receive bookings for sure, but not to the extent of affecting Etios/ Micra sales.
Old 6th September 2011, 18:32   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
San2:

Going by what I am seeing in the pics. Dont think Brio is targetted at the Swifts/ Micra/ Figo.
I only seeing the car to be too small to be even part of this segment. I am guessing it falls into segment between the Alto and WagonR. Probably the A-Star / Estilo segment.

But again that is not challenging, cos Honda will be trying to sell A-Star equalent at Micra's price. It will receive bookings for sure, but not to the extent of affecting Etios/ Micra sales.
From what I've read, its much larger inside than it looks from outside. Clever package - everything is slim, the seats, the dash. As much space as the Swift, and feels roomier at the back as it doesnt have the small windows like the Swift. The dash has light colors as well. It doesnt have the cut price interiors of the Liva.

The car is bang in Swift territory. But it will take time for small car owners to jump from Maruti/Hyundai to Honda. I'm hoping it will happen - competition brings in higher quality!
Cayman360 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 21:37   #560
Distinguished - BHPian

Have a look at Honda's market share, over the months -

Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23-untitled.jpg

They are slowly but surely regaining ground, thanks to the City and a brief spurt in the New Jazz sales.

How much will the Brio contribute to this remains to be seen, but I can safely predict that Honda should be targeting at least 10% by year-end through Brio, City & Jazz sales collectively. If they achieve the same, it should be phenomenal.
Old 6th September 2011, 21:57   #561
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
There is a report in economic times yesterday that says that Honda might not equip the Brio with ABS and airbags in the base variant.There say if they do so,starting prices will be too high and in order to keep it competitive,safety features might be omitted.

I think thats ok,but what i hope they do is that they should keep it as standard in the mid and the highest variant.
I guess Honda is looking to stay competitive, and they have understood our market well. The base variant doesn't come standard with ABS and Airbags, so expect it to be priced @ around 4 lakhs. That is A-Star money right there. My guess is that there wouldn't be much difference between the variants, in terms of pricing. The big price difference would be between the base 'E' and the 'S' due to the cost of Airbags and ABS. The 'V' should be a little more than the 'S' with a few cosmetic differences and accessories. Expect it to come with alloys, leather seats and some other accessories.

The 'E' and the 'S' should sell the maximum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360 View Post
Yeah, but the 0-100kph timing is awesome - 12.47 secs!! Beats the new Swift (14.5 secs). I guess, this puts it just under the 1.6 power hatches.
That is a phenomenal time for a small, little 1.2 liter hatch! An entry-level-mid level sedan would be proud to have those figures!

Quote:
San2:

I beg to disagree.

I believe that the base Brio might temp some prospective A-Star/Wagon-R/Estillo/i10 customers into taking a look. And the mid-variant should take away some customers from Nissan and Toyota showrooms.

I'm sure someone looking to buy an A-Star might be tempted to put his money on the Brio. The Honda name adds a touch of class, I believe. Not to mention, the A-Star's wheezy 3-pot motor would be absolutely trumped by the 1.2 mill in the Brio, not just in terms of performance, but also mileage.

Okay, maybe the A-Star would be able to manage figures north of 20 km per liter, but the Brio shouldn't be far away. The Brio is more spacious than the A-Star too.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 01:03   #562
BHPian

I am so waiting for this car to be priced sensibly.
Somehow, I think I can coax my family to agree on Brio. lol.

Please please Honda, keep middle variant at 4.5L OTR :P.
Old 7th September 2011, 08:32   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
I am so waiting for this car to be priced sensibly.
Somehow, I think I can coax my family to agree on Brio. lol.

Please please Honda, keep middle variant at 4.5L OTR :P.
I was thinking you'll be happy with the pricing when I read mid variant at 4.5L then when I saw OTR
Old 7th September 2011, 09:40   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Please please Honda, keep middle variant at 4.5L OTR .
You must be an incurable optimist. The predictions are 4.2 ex-showroom Delhi for the base. So even the base version is likely to exceed 4.5 OTR in highly taxed states like KA, MH etc. I would say, 5.0 may be a more realistic target.
Old 7th September 2011, 09:53   #565
Senior - BHPian

Read the zig wheels review this morning and i think this car is going to be a gamechanger.Just like the Swift introduced performance and contemporary design in the hatchback space and the i20 introduced features that were the preserve of cars 2 segments up,the Brio is going to shake up the A+ segment.

There is no doubt that the Honda brand names sells a lot in India,and why should it not.It has build it up after years of providing us fantastic products with good reliability,comfort,after sales and also gives that small sense of zest of owning and driving a Honda.Its only in recent times they have had faced real competition,but one price correction and they are on top of the charts again.

After the americans entered into the small car market(GM and ford),it was time for the Japs.But i think the Brio is a better effort than the Etios, just feel as if there is a lot of cost cutting,as if toyota was compelled to make a hatchback so they did.(no offence meant to anyone).Everyone who has reviewed the Brio,talks about the fact that the interior quality is good,and the design,layout,space management all feel just like a smaller Honda.The engine is good,fairly powerful and a i-Vtec at that but at the same time frugal,has good driving dynamics according to test drives.Adequate amount of features,not skimping much(except maybe a rear windscreen) and safe too.

The car just ticks everything in the box and its not another expensive hatchback,but something in the lower segment,which revelation.Nothing good seems to cost below 5 lakhs these days,and base Brio on road will be just lower than that i guess.And so i think it will do extremely well,considering it bring new levels of refinement,quality,engineering,design at a price point where the i10 and the maruti small cars have been ruling roost all this while.

Last edited by avishar : 7th September 2011 at 10:11.
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 10:56   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Read the zig wheels review this morning and i think this car is going to be a gamechanger.Just like the Swift introduced performance and contemporary design in the hatchback space and the i20 introduced features that were the preserve of cars 2 segments up,the Brio is going to shake up the A+ segment.
May be they are right dont want to argue on that.
But my 2 cents to such assumptions by all Auto gurus.

One reason why Suzuki and the likes of Hyundai is able to sell so much is not just because they have good products but its mainly because
a. they have great brand recall and
b. they have lots of service center which can service the vehicles.

Dont forget one thing, Polo /Micra are very good products from a good brands too. But they have not been good enough to convince a first time Indian buyer to rely on the products. He always goes to Maruti and to an extent Hyundai.

Now it would be the same problem even for Honda. The product would be good it will sell in good number. But I do not see it selling around 6-7 K p.m. unless its really priced less similar to Figo.

Honda fans... dont kill me for saying all this
Old 7th September 2011, 11:20   #567
BHPian

Quote:
May be they are right dont want to argue on that.
But my 2 cents to such assumptions by all Auto gurus.

One reason why Suzuki and the likes of Hyundai is able to sell so much is not just because they have good products but its mainly because
a. they have great brand recall and
b. they have lots of service center which can service the vehicles.

Dont forget one thing, Polo /Micra are very good products from a good brands too. But they have not been good enough to convince a first time Indian buyer to rely on the products. He always goes to Maruti and to an extent Hyundai.

Now it would be the same problem even for Honda. The product would be good it will sell in good number. But I do not see it selling around 6-7 K p.m. unless its really priced less similar to Figo.

Honda fans... dont kill me for saying all this
Doubtful on that!
The only reason Honda cars were sold less was because of the premium charged across models. Its something like Sony i guess. Sony will always charge a premium on any of its products but undoubtedly will give the best!
I think Honda may have to look at increasing production if they are able to price the Brio right and keep the City / Jazz prices stable.
Old 7th September 2011, 11:23   #568
Senior - BHPian

I always thought Brio is going to compete with the likes of i10, WagonR and not with Swift, which is a class above and such a well rounded car (unlike Brio which has some 'built to cost' traits).
Also, there is a talk of Brio being tailor designed for India. Brio is already launched in other markets. I can't understand how a 'made for India' car have just 150 mm GC and a fragile hatch lid made of glass.
Old 7th September 2011, 11:24   #569
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I guess Honda is looking to stay competitive, and they have understood our market well. The base variant doesn't come standard with ABS and Airbags, so expect it to be priced @ around 4 lakhs.
Yes, it’s great to take on competition, but I am slightly disappointed with Honda for stripping away the safety features. Say, if they had those features available in the base version (for the said pricing), it would have forced the competitors to follow them

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I believe that the base Brio might temp some prospective A-Star/Wagon-R/Estillo/i10 customers into taking a look. And the mid-variant should take away some customers from Nissan and Toyota showrooms.

I'm sure someone looking to buy an A-Star might be tempted to put his money on the Brio. The Honda name adds a touch of class, I believe. Not to mention, the A-Star's wheezy 3-pot motor would be absolutely trumped by the 1.2 mill in the Brio, not just in terms of performance, but also mileage.

Okay, maybe the A-Star would be able to manage figures north of 20 km per liter, but the Brio shouldn't be far away. The Brio is more spacious than the A-Star too.
Completely agree. If they get the pricing right, the Brio can easily eat into the A-Star/i10 category, and even the Swift petrol buyer. IMHO, most of the call buying public in this category goes for the merits of the brand rather than the model. The tag of Honda as a desirable but expensive brand could change with the Brio.

And the Brio have a nifty green indicator light, which glows if you are driving in eco-mode.
Mdsaab – are you listening?
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 11:26   #570
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak1201 View Post
Doubtful on that!
The only reason Honda cars were sold less was because of the premium charged across models. Its something like Sony i guess. Sony will always charge a premium on any of its products but undoubtedly will give the best!
I think Honda may have to look at increasing production if they are able to price the Brio right and keep the City / Jazz prices stable.

Honda is known for its reliability. Much like Hyundai and Maruti. People buy Marutis and Hyundais because they are reliable, efficient and value for money. Hondas are reliable too and a lot more efficient than Hyundais and Marutis (not talking about FE). The only thing that went against Honda was the premium price-tag, not to mention the lack of diesel power-plants.

They've sorted one out of two issues. they are VFM now. SO I don't see why Hondas would struggle in our market. The moment you price a product correctly, even if it doesn't have a diesel, it will sell! And something as good as a Honda will always sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Yes, it’s great to take on competition, but I am slightly disappointed with Honda for stripping away the safety features. Say, if they had those features available in the base version (for the said pricing), it would have forced the competitors to follow them
I'm quite disappointed too. But I guess Honda has understood our market well, and at the end of the day, it's a business that they're running. Volumes, for them, is what would put bread on the plates of Honda employees' families. India is a highly price sensitive market, and a difference of even 10,000 is enough to change a customer's decision. Honda, is forgiven in my books. They're trying to fit in here I'd say. It may not be the best move, sensibly speaking, but practically, since prices dictate the car's success, it is.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2011 at 11:32.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks