Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which transmission would you like?
Paddle Shift 69 44.23%
Stick Shift 56 35.90%
Automatic Shift 31 19.87%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2021, 17:00   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Paddle shifts on Indian cars - will it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
...the right foot you are talking about can only do so much when you leave it in the auto version. The shift ups with the accelerator pedal will happen when the engine decides to shift up with the revs. This is particularly dangerous if you are attempting a quick overtake on a two lane road with no divider. If the transmission shifts to a higher cog in the middle you will lose momentum/speed and put yourself in a very dangerously awkward position.
Right from the BMW's ZF8 to the Aisin sourced slush box in the XUV5OO or Thar, I've always gotten my cars to kick down and maintain a lower gear wherever I need, and as long as I need it to. Easing on the A pedal after my surge-urge is over will then let me shift up.

Forget the ZF8, even the Thar will drop 2 gears if you stomp on your right - and as long as the rev in the resulting gear is within rev limits (which is true for paddles too)!

I guess it also got to do with the car and how it's tuned to react...

Last edited by ph03n!x : 13th March 2021 at 17:02.
Old 13th March 2021, 18:27   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I guess it also got to do with the car and how it's tuned to react
Sure Phoenix, I love cheese, you may not or maybe not the same variety.

Mainly, in my opinion paddle shifters have not and will not become redundant as manual control of the gearbox just cannot be replicated by the flexing of the accelerator pedal, whichever car or gearbox you use.

Of course not the same yardstick, but I don’t think Formula One will have cars without paddle shifters as they offer a manual balance and control of the car with having to use the clutch.

On another note, if paddle shifters (or triptronic gearboxes) were deemed unnecessary or something that could be done away with I am sure car manufacturers would be the first to remove them and save costs.

Don’t think anymore could be added to this discussion from my side. Happy foot flexing

Cheers
Old 13th March 2021, 20:26   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Sure Phoenix, I love cheese, you may not or maybe not the same variety.

It ain't binary like that - and I like cheese, all of them!

And never am I sayin' cheese is an unnecessary evil, or an extravagance that Bottas would've shaved off 16 secs to beat Verstappen in Abu Dhabi without it!

I'd infact enjoy a lot more cheese in a T-Roc or Octavia. But then, if there's no cheese? I won't starve, I'll be just fine with Kite Hill Ricotta too?!

All I'm saying is, a modern TC slush is not bad at all that you'll not miss paddles. But then when you're on the expressway in a RS245, you'll love to paddle all the way!

I don't have a preference, and I don't want to kill 'em paddles - quite the contrary. I don't sweat by them, is all!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks