Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 18:01   #76
BHPian

Good idea to phase out the Cockroach Vehicle / "Auto". Also need to remind all that in Mumbai, "Autos" are not permitted within the CBD (South Mumbai) years back & they run on Premier Padmini taxi's (old Fiats). But BMTC will have to consider many obvious factors, before they introduce the change:-
1) Driving Skills, Etiquette & License : Every (or most) "auto" guy converting to a 4-wheeled Nano will have to obtain a 4W License (assuming that most of them dont even know how to drive a 4 wheeler). More important from the Transport ministry to spend some time & effort to impart driving etiquettes to these guys.They are more illiterate than arrogant.
2) Speed-limiter: Very important to have a speed limiter installed (say, 40kmph), feasible esp. considering that BMTC is doing the procurement, not the "Auto" wallas.
3) Billing Meter: Ensure fair charges at all time. More feasible than "auto" since procurement is done by BMTC.
4) GPS Device: Will ensure tracking & safety of passengers.
5) Add-on's: In line with the call-taxis, facilitate something like a 24x7 hotlines service, again ensuring tracking & safety of passengers.
6) Phasing-in: For a start, introduce the service primarily based in the Bangalore CBD. No Entry for 'Autos' inside the CBD, once the Metro is operational (similar to Mumbai).

On an optimistic note, lets hope the change from 3 to 4 wheels would change the attitude of the "Auto" wallas aswell;hoping that they now feel 'elevated'/'dignified' than before, there by bringing out a more responsible attitude out of them.

Last edited by JJames : 26th July 2010 at 18:03.
Old 26th July 2010, 18:48   #77
Senior - BHPian

I was sure that it was the Iris and not the Nano that was made to replace the 'Autos'. That would have been a better choice, I think.

I think it's a great idea. Running costs should be similar, which means more or less the same rates. IMO, the benefit of not having to argue with badly behaved rick drivers is worth the extra cost. This is of course, assuming that the new cabs will be equipped with proper meters and stuff.

Ricks cause a lot of accidents due to their tendency to take sudden u-turns and launch into traffic from side-roads. Substituting proper steering should quiet them a bit. I've trained myself not to look a waiting rick-driver in the eye, as it is an invitation for them to jump into your path.

I'm optimistic about the whole thing.
Old 26th July 2010, 22:15   #78
Senior - BHPian

No car can match the turning circle of an auto rickshaw, which is a very important in cities.
Old 26th July 2010, 22:33   #79
BHPian

This idea if implemented would be surely list in "Crazies ideas ever implemented"

If I were the minister I wouldn't do this unles there would be some serious kickbags being involved.I sometimes wonder how the bureaucrats (who supposedly have the best brains of the country)approve these ideas.

Imagine the financial side to this:
1.At 1.2 lakh per NANO this project would cost about 12000 lakhs or 120 crores.This amount if spent on betterment of our roads would be what we would be more than happ for
2.Cost of maintainence viz an auto would be too high.5 tires instead of 3(including spares),engine oils,spark plugs,brake pads.Most autowallas do self-service to their autos including stuff likechanging brake wires,clutches etc.Tata A** would soon turn like some of the most dangerous places to go on earth and would feature on Discovery channel with so many maniacs at one place!!
3.The emi's on these would only be more than handfull for the govt to pay.

The enviornemental side:
1.Far more metal usage than autos means lot more iron ore mining.
2.Rubber,plastics,fabrics,etc .
3.Significant carbon emission addition.

And then would happen to people like us:
Havent we had enough of those indicabs which sometimes make us feel as if we are in some sort of russian circus!
I was always thinking if the govt would someday ban these guys but instead their population would soon explode!!

Imagine the high-tech-sophisticated-hifi-hi definition music systems presently fitted into these autos finding their way into NANO.These crazy audio speakers would then create sunroof for the NANO with the top blowing off when the music is put on and tremors through passenger hearts!!
Old 27th July 2010, 07:36   #80
Senior - BHPian

why is no talk being made about safety? its time we move onwards and cared about passenger safety. I've got a brother who met with an accident. the auto he was travelling in suddenly swerved coz he could not brake in time and guess what, it toppled leaving him with broken bones. Now I for one am cheering for 4 wheeled taxi's to replace these auto's for the cause of safety.
I may be up for opposition but it really does not matter. my point is clear . you can go on and on and argue a lot for the cause of auto's but it is just leading us backwards.
Old 27th July 2010, 09:41   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
why is no talk being made about safety? its time we move onwards and cared about passenger safety. I've got a brother who met with an accident. the auto he was travelling in suddenly swerved coz he could not brake in time and guess what, it toppled leaving him with broken bones. Now I for one am cheering for 4 wheeled taxi's to replace these auto's for the cause of safety.
I may be up for opposition but it really does not matter. my point is clear . you can go on and on and argue a lot for the cause of auto's but it is just leading us backwards.
Why should anyone oppose you? My sympathies for your brother. But nobody really prevents us from taking a taxi instead of an auto. Autos are a low cost option and many people depend on them either for commute or for livelihood.

I always take a call taxi for most places instead of an auto as the rates are only slightly more expensive if the distance is long enough. But for really short commutes of about 3 KM or less, the taxis will not come, and autos are the only option.

Really, for people like us who own cars to rant about autos and tell the have nots to take a taxi instead, is like telling them to eat the proverbial cake instead of bread!
Old 27th July 2010, 09:54   #82
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore: Auto Fare to go up from Aug 1

Bangalore, Jul 24 (DHNS): Autorickshaw commuters in the city, who already pay the highest fare among major metros in the country, will have to pay even more from August 1.

The government on Friday announced revised fare structure, according to which the minimum fare for the first two kms of travel will be Rs 17 and Rs 8.5 for every subsequent km. At present the minimum fare is Rs 14 and Rs 7 for every additional km.

The revised city auto fares are well above the revised fares announced last month in Mumbai and Delhi. In both these cities, the revised fare is Rs 6.5 per km—Rs 2 less than the revised fare announced for Bangalore.

However, the announcement, made by Bangalore Urban Deputy Commissioner (DC) M K Aiyappa, did not satisfy auto unions. They refused to accept the revised fare and threatened to go on indefinite strike from August 1 to press their demand for still higher rates. There are an estimated 80,000 autos plying on the City roads.

“Our demand was Rs 20 as minimum fare and Rs 10 as per km fare. We are willing to finally settle for Rs 18 as minimum fare and Rs 9 as per km fare. The public are willing to pay extra. "Their only complaint is about meter tampering and excess fare demand by auto drivers,” said H G Srinivasa Murthy, vice-president of Auto rickshaw Drivers’ Union.A transport department official said the auto unions’ demand for fare revision violated a resolution adopted on January 30, 2008 to which they were parties.

The resolution was adopted at the time of the last revision of the auto fare. “The resolution (circular) clearly states that the next revision of auto fares may be considered only if the price of auto-LPG is increased beyond Rs. 45 per litre or after a period of three years from February 1, 2008,” the official said. The fuel price has not crossed the Rs. 45 a kilolitre mark. The three-year lock in period for the present fare expires only early next year.

No consent from drivers

When asked about the revised fare, Murthy said: “This was drafted that did not have the consent of auto unions. We do not accept the circular. It has not taken into account the cost of living and prices of essential commodities.”

According to Aiyappa, “All auto rickshaws will have to get their meters re-calibrated within a period of 60 days from then. Till then, a fare conversion chart should be used by the auto drivers. We would have it distributed at all regional transport offices (RTO) from Monday onwards.”

As soon as the announcement, about 200 auto drivers, who were present at the venue, termed the new fare as “a meagre increase.”

Quarrel ensues
But they were divided among themselves. A quarrel ensued between the representatives of various auto unions that forced policemen to resort to lathi-charge.

Two automen injured in the scuffle were admitted to Victoria Hospital and later to Mahaveer Jain Hospital for treatment. The auto unions that did not accept the revised fares have decided to hold a dharna on Saturday at Mahatma Gandhi Park on M G Road.

Read the complete story here..

Bangalore: Auto Fare to go up from Aug 1
Old 27th July 2010, 17:39   #83
BHPian

Firstly the BMTC being a governmental body shouldn't waste public money on something which would only aggravate the existing conditions. Rather than thinking of purchasing 10000 nanos, it could put that money to good use in developing basic amenities such as drinking water for all within its jurisdiction. The markets will decide what they want. If Auto and Nano cost the same then the shift will happen sometime. The case in point is the rise of metered taxis in Hyd and many other cities.

The most important point that comes to my mind is people have to depend on Auto's or Taxis only because of lack of a proper Public transport system. A transport system such as Metro rail project if implemented fast and connected properly to interiors through bus transport, would drastically reduce the congestion on the roads.

Few advantages of robust public transport system.

1. Reduction in congestion on roads. With better and faster travelling options at lesser cost available many people, wherever possible, would opt for public transport. (I know many people in Hyd going from Dilsukhnagar and nearby areas park their vehicles at Malakpet MMTS station and go to Madhapur by MMTS. The reduction in travelling time is said to be almost 40 mnts to 1 hr in peak hrs).

2. Reduction in the amount of money people spend on transport thereby increasing their standard of living (A hundred bucks saved would be very high for some families)

3. Reduction in time consumed for travelling, thereby reducing fatigue of employees going to work and increasing their efficiency and productivity. (This does have a huge impact as I have experienced first hand). Also the quality time that one gets to spend with their family may increase even if half-an-hour per day of their travelling time is reduced. This is something that cannot be measured in terms of money but far outweighs many others and is essential for a healthy society.

4. Reduction in fuel consumption. With congestion on the roads reducing, the average speeds would increase and so would be the fuel economy. If every vehicle plying on the road gets 1 km more per every ltr it would greatly reduce the burden on our foreign exchange and reduce our current account deficit to some extent as oil forms a major chunk of our imports.

5. Reduction in pollution. The point above addresses this issue also. And another outcome of this is lesser health hazards arising from air pollution. That means a healthier nation. (At least as far as some health problems are concerned)

6. All the above factors create a favourable business environment, encouraging investments and fuelling economic activity.

These are some points that I thought of immediately when I chanced upon this thread. If studies deeply there would be more such advantages.
Old 27th July 2010, 22:35   #84
BANNED

IMO we are hate auto's due to their exorbitant charges and the way they drive.I hate them only for the way they drive.

I want tata nano/other low cost four wheeler to replace auto's for the only fact that they come with steering and four wheels which translates more stability.Vehicles with steering are safer when compare to handle bars(drivers cannot just like that cut into lanes)

But the charges part,if only every one buy their own autos this problem can be solved.

The current trend in chennai is that Driver hire the auto's from the owner(mostly police/MLA etc ) for daily rent of 200-250 .so they need to recover 250+petrol cost for the daily running and see profit too.Which forces them to charge higher.

OT-I heard that some china made VW badged small car is gonna be launched for 30k+ in india
Old 27th July 2010, 22:54   #85
BANNED

Not any legislation but market forces will determine which gets preferred over which. Isn't it unbelievable to know that a 30-35 year old design based on a scooter with no doors/glasses/roof costs nearly same as a full-fledged modern car ( in comparison to Auto ) designed just 2 years back? Hasn't Bajaj been looting us all these years?
Old 28th July 2010, 14:08   #86
aby
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Not any legislation but market forces will determine which gets preferred over which. Isn't it unbelievable to know that a 30-35 year old design based on a scooter with no doors/glasses/roof costs nearly same as a full-fledged modern car ( in comparison to Auto ) designed just 2 years back? Hasn't Bajaj been looting us all these years?
This is what lack of competition does to the market. Monopoly profits. No wonder Bajaj Auto had the deepest worry lines when Nano was launched. More than any car brand it was the Auto-Rickshaw which was at risk.

I am sure they rake in huge moolah per "cockroach vehicle" sold and would be the hardest hit if the proposal sees the light of the day.

Anyway though the proposal is good, I think the Govt. (or Govt. Owned entity BMTC) should rather keep its precious resources out and let Market work its magic. If any intervention is needed it is in form of regulation wherein these cockroach vehicles are not allowed inside city limits like in Mumbai.
Old 28th July 2010, 17:59   #87
Senior - BHPian

Even when the Minimum fare was 14Rs, I do not know of Any auto driver who would accept less than 20Rs even for distances that are actually walkable if one has the time. Now that they've revised the fare, the auto drivers will now begin charging 24-25Rs as the minimum fare.

It is in any case Highly unlikely that the mechanical meters are accurate anyway. I've been charged 65-80Rs from my home to work (exact same distance) when going by meter. The same distance in an auto with an electronic meter came to 55Rs.

The auto fare in Bangalore is nearly double the rate charged in Delhi. The cost of CNG is lower, agreed, but then in Bangalore the auto drivers insist on using the Noisy, Polluting, Inefficient and Uncomfortable two-stroke autos. I challenge anyone to hold a telephone conversation when in any of these Bangalore 2-stroke autos. They have the money to put in massive speakers and ridiculous amounts of chrome, but not upgrade to a four-stroke to save running costs. Speaks of their attitude. They really don't give a damn for the people, yet they expect everybody to loosen their purses to plump theirs. Ridiculous.

There have been multiple cases where the auto driver will initially agree to a fare, then decide some distance down that they're being ripped off, and start cribbing, complaining and finally shouting. The only option then is to either get off or pay the fare demanded.

Basically, the union itself is ridiculous. If you disagree with an auto, ten others will land up and try and intimidate you. And I'm quite sure that the "powers that be" are hand in glove, else there is absolutely no need for them to "bow under the pressure".

Autos will go on strike and stay off the road. Please do! I would love to drive around in an auto-free Bangalore. I use buses as far as possible. I only use autos when I have no other option. Even if they don't go on strike - People it is time to take a stand. DO NOT USE AUTOS. Plan ahead, and one can get a Minicab at the same rate to go anywhere in Bangalore.

I'm sure I can use my scooter if there was less crazy traffic (read - autos) on the road. Time to tell em to P-Off.

Last edited by VeluM : 28th July 2010 at 18:03. Reason: Temper, temper.
Old 29th July 2010, 06:39   #88
gvr
BHPian

Nanos replacing Autorickshaws would be a good move. However, there is something with Autos on our roads, that give us an 'it' factor that other countries dont have. Its like the 'it' factor that tuk-tuk's have in Thailand.
Old 29th July 2010, 15:14   #89
BHPian

Hope I dont hurt any one's sentiments.

This idea should not be implemented. It would only add to the chaos.

1. Auto drivers should have a valid driving license for a LMV.
2. Will the meter rate stay the same as autos?
3. Nanos are cars, then it will be called a Taxi. A taxi cannot replace an auto.
4. It will only lead to lesser road space

BMTC should introduce more buses and persuade the public to use the buses rather than autos and taxis.

A bus can accomodate more than 15 nano loads.

Only person to get an advantage will be the dealer who ever is selling 10000 nanos.

cheers,
ajay
Old 30th July 2010, 13:29   #90
BHPian

I think this is just one of the brain waves some govt official had and press decided to publish it.
I am saying so cause AFAIK,
1. Tata had made it very clear that they wouldn't sell Nano's as cabs.
2. There are about 1 lakh autos in Bangalore. Just 10k Nano wouldn't help.
3. We are seriously underestimating the Auto union here, these guys recently beat up their own associate president coz he couldn't get the fares revised as per their expectation!!!

Auto drivers are goons in uniform. I know alot of female colleagues who bought two-wheelers just to avoid daily haggling with these goons. These guys will burn all the Nano's on the first day as they want to continue their Goonda Raj in Bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks