Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2010, 20:48   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
@airbender, This quote has answered your question very well!
Don't think so. Let me explain. I will take example of US/H1B visa first. We indians are allowed to be hired only if the hiring company can't find a american. In other words, they are allowed to hire foreigners only if they cannot fill it with americans. This is to ensure only skilled persons get into the country and they don't take away a job from a local person. These type of safegaurds exist in every developed country. Lot of indians migrate to other countries and some of them end up working for indian companies. Intercompany transfers are also for people with a specific skill set. THe HCL and HMIL cases are like apples to oranges.

In HMIL case, it looks like these people are ordinary factory floor workers. Not a skill set that cannot be found in india. So they are infact taking away jobs from indians.

Chennai may be a detriot of India but will it be of any significance for us if it's koreans not indians who are benefiting from it.
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:26   #62
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Another thing I liked about them is, when they were getting rental car in London, they were insisting on getting Korean brand. One person got Honda and he was really unhappy about it.
So true! Koreans are very patriotic and have a lot of pride for homegrown products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
I read somewhere that work visas are not given by Indian Embassy to people whose annual package is less than 25L INR.
I did too. However, the news article also mentioned several inconsistencies in implementing that rule. Either ways, Hyundai has invested thousands of crores in India and has a strong lobby up in Delhi. Not saying whether its right or wrong, but Hyundai / other large manufacturers can easily get clearances.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd July 2010 at 14:28.
Old 21st August 2010, 06:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

Extract from today's Indian Express.
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai : A New Detroit Rises In India (WSJ)-chennai.jpg  

Old 21st August 2010, 09:22   #64
BHPian

I just drove from Bangalore to Chennai. The scene is literally "nuts"...

In Bangalore, IT buildings and small businesses go on for atleast 50 KM after what i thought was the outer limit of bangalore just 3 to 4 years ago.

For Chennai, I was surprised to see that nearly every foot of the distance from Ranipet to Chennai (a whole 120 KM) is packed with factories...

just image what could be possible if these cities united themselves with an industrial corridor. Move over Shenzen!!
Old 21st August 2010, 11:28   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
just image what could be possible if these cities united themselves with an industrial corridor. Move over Shenzen!!
The plan has already been submitted to the centre.
"A bullet train (high speed rail link) between Chennai and Bangalore is also part of the vision. "

Read more: Chennai-Bangalore corridor saprks E Asian strategy - Chennai - City - The Times of India Chennai-Bangalore corridor saprks E Asian strategy - Chennai - City - The Times of India
Old 18th February 2011, 10:11   #66
BHPian

Re: Chennai : A New Detroit Rises In India (WSJ)

So Chennai gets one more star, in fact the `three pointed star' in a different avatar- BharatBenz
Old 18th February 2011, 12:00   #67
BHPian

OT: I think it a great strategy on part of Daimler to name it "BharatBenz" because

1.Benz is easy to pronounce than Daimler and has very less possibility of being mis-pronounced. No need to spend a full page ad in leading daily on how to pronounce their company.
2. Benz as a brand has a great recall value. We had a driver who was also driver of an MTC (a depot driver who drives between the terminus and workshops during nights). When MTC, Chennai bought Tata (in the 90s after a long gap and only in specific depots like TNagar/Mandaveli) he still used to refer to it as "benz vandi" (Benz vehicle) long after Tata broke its tie-up with Mercedez-Benz.
Old 18th February 2011, 13:03   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
I will take example of US/H1B visa first. We indians are allowed to be hired only if the hiring company can't find a american.
In other words, they are allowed to hire foreigners only if they cannot fill it with americans. This is to ensure only skilled persons get into the country and they don't take away a job from a local person. These type of safegaurds exist in every developed country.

[/b]
Its true, U.S tries to protects job. The consequence is, entire factory, manufacturing got shenzhened/Beijinged...
So better to get people from Korea/China (or whatever country) to work in India. It creates competition and standard for us to raise upto. It doesn't matter low skill or high skill.
Investment will flow to any place in the world where it offers lower cost to produce. Increasingly Govt would have no or little control to prevent such movement.
Old 18th February 2011, 18:19   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumaravelS View Post
Its true, U.S tries to protects job. The consequence is, entire factory, manufacturing got shenzhened/Beijinged...
So better to get people from Korea/China (or whatever country) to work in India. It creates competition and standard for us to raise upto. It doesn't matter low skill or high skill.
Investment will flow to any place in the world where it offers lower cost to produce. Increasingly Govt would have no or little control to prevent such movement.
It has to be two way street , I recently learned that Indian Governments action was retaliatory action. I appriciate it and wish if India could have shown more resistance to POSCO as well.

South Korea is creating a lot of hurdles for past 2-3 years in issuing work visas to Indians this is disadvantageous to indian IT industry in particular.
Many people travel from my company to Korea even for business visa they insist on original invitation letter being couriered , 3 Years IT returns in original etc. As my employer is Indian arm of biggest Korean company getting business visa is easy for us but for Indian partner companies there are lots of hurdles.

As a retaliatory measure GOI upped the bar for Korean workers.
Old 30th June 2011, 11:31   #70
BHPian

One more Car maker to setup a plant in Chennai.
This time it's the french car maker Peugeot.
Peugeot to set up Rs 4,000-cr plant in Tamil Nadu - The Economic Times
Old 31st August 2011, 23:18   #71
Senior - BHPian

M&M too is moving in - planning a small 1800 Cr investment over 7 years

M&M to set up automobile plant in Tamil Nadu - NDTV Profit
Old 1st September 2011, 07:45   #72
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
I also read some other article in news paper recently stating that Gujarat is the automobile manufacturing hub of India. Two Detroits for a country that lacks basic road infrastructure?

I am confused to feel proud or sad??
Old 1st September 2011, 08:13   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
LOL: Looks like they dont have any entertainment like "Deal a No Deal a" or "Kaun Banega Crorepathi" to spoil them. Hence they love to work
That is also true. When our company had an industrial unit in Jordan, workers who went on deputation from here voluntarily worked long hours. To be fair they got overtime but another main reason was they had nothing else to do after work hours. Their families remained in India.

In totalitarian China, I would not wonder if workers were whipped to put in 15 hour shifts.

Last edited by Gansan : 1st September 2011 at 08:15.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 10:18   #74
BHPian

I think this was not mentioned before: Borg Warner also has a Chennai unit. They are into Cooling Systems.
Old 1st September 2011, 12:09   #75
BHPian

OD's fb page says PSA is to set up manufacturing facility at Sanand. They even signed an MOU with the TN Govt.Something's seriously going wrong with TN. It was Ford first, now PSA. Maybe its the bad power situation.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks