Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2009, 16:32   #76
Senior - BHPian

They were known for being poor quality and having rust issues in the UK.

There was a sporty MG version with a 2.0 Turbo engine (I think) and a digital speedo.
Old 14th March 2009, 19:19   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
must definitely count the standard gazel here...indias first attempt at an indigenous car...made from 71 to around 78 i guess...

It was deisgned by nazir hoosein, and based heavily on the standard herald mk3, essentially a 4 door version of the triumph herald. any more intersting storeis and photos on standards? love to hear bout them...

cheers
karl
In early to mid 1980s, a coupe style car using the Gazel chassis was developed and IIRC it was made by the same Nazir Hoosein. You have some info about it? There was a story about it in Business India around that time. It had four round lights in the front. Wipers and tail light were borrowed from Tata truck. That tail light was also used on the Padmini-derived SABs.
Old 14th March 2009, 19:50   #78
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhokritesh View Post
Is there a link to the existing thread?
Have you seen this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1131681
Old 23rd April 2010, 09:37   #79
Senior - BHPian

Sipani Dolphin Sportz

Mods , please relocate the post if needed.

Found this running condition dolphin at Thrissur.
Attached Thumbnails
Dolphin, Montana, Rover Montego...-dolphin-1.jpg  

Dolphin, Montana, Rover Montego...-dolphin-2.jpg  

Dolphin, Montana, Rover Montego...-dolphin-3.jpg  

Dolphin, Montana, Rover Montego...-dolphin-4.jpg  

foby.sebastian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2010, 15:47   #80
BHPian

Oh yeah. I used to love dolphin, probably because that was the first car i was introduced to as a kid. I started my driving lessons on that.

It had an insanely small turning radius at the time. The seating position was almost like in race car that your body is almost completely stretched and since i was small, i could either see out of the windshield and not reach the pedals with my feet or vice versa. It was priced on the higher side than maruti like somone has mentioned above. If im not mistaken it cost us around 60k at the time, although im not sure of which year we got it.(I wasnt born then ) We've had it for nearly a decade before we sold it off reluctantly.
Old 24th April 2010, 15:07   #81
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Foby, that Dolphin seems to be in fantastic shape! Remove the stickers, dual paint job and SUV-style spare wheel (seriously now ), and its probably the best maintained Dolphin on our roads today.

Your pictures sure brought back memories. A neighbour had one, and I a crush on his daughter. He wouldn't let me near either of them
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2010, 15:45   #82
BHPian

Spotted First running Dolphin in Bangalore

As I came out of my office after a hectic days work, there was a surprise for me waiting in the basement. Indeed, it was also an shock to see this tiny-little Dolphin parked in the basement. The car was really maintained very well. Body Line and all the parts looked Original. In fact, heard some of my colleagues saying that the car is running with a M800's engine[it was just a rumor] because nobody knew what's inside the bonnet.

This car reminded me of the 3 wheeler vehicle which was showcased in Mr.BEAN. The car also had loads of female admirer's as well, who were posing next to the tiny oldie.

Here are few pics of the Blue Dolphin [the pics were taken from a Mobile Camera]
Attached Thumbnails
Dolphin, Montana, Rover Montego...-19102010001.jpg  

Dolphin, Montana, Rover Montego...-19102010002.jpg  

GreenDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2010, 09:36   #83
Senior - BHPian

From where did this car appeared. Feels good to know few still survive. It seems like somebody is learning to drive on this oldie.(atleast the "L" sticker seems new) By the 3 wheeled vehicle you must be referring to the Reliant Robin on which our very own desi Sipani Baadal (pic attached) was based.
Attached Thumbnails
Dolphin, Montana, Rover Montego...-badal.jpg  

Last edited by samsag12 : 21st October 2010 at 09:39.
Old 26th October 2010, 10:21   #84
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ GreenDay : Dolphin & Badal pictures moved to the right thread.
Old 26th October 2010, 10:27   #85
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Standard Heralds and Gazels were a pretty common sight in and around the hilly plantation districts of South India in the late 1960's and through the 70's right up to the early 80's.

In the 60's and 70's they were considered to be amongst the finest bases for Rallying/ Racing/ MotorSport in India until they were replaced by the Fiat 1100 / Premiers in that space.

Nice cars - I always liked them. Wish I could own a decent herald at a decent price to keep and have fun with on weekends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
must definitely count the standard gazel here...indias first attempt at an indigenous car...made from 71 to around 78 i guess...

It was deisgned by nazir hoosein, and based heavily on the standard herald mk3, essentially a 4 door version of the triumph herald. The large front one piece bonnet appeared to be a direct lift from the triumph herald 13/60. the rear end was down right butt-ugly...with michelottis gorgeous understated fins shown the door...

the dash was a comparatively more pleasant and stylish affair...again an indigenous effort. It carried over the steeing wheel and meters from the herald, and the long cranked gear lever from the 10...

the standard herald always had a problem with the rear axle cracking (i suspect that only happened with the post 64 cars, with indian axles...lousy quality) plus it had relatively low ground clearence, both proved to be a big problem with indian roads...so the gazel carried over the rear suspension set up from the standard 10, (which ceased production in 62).

the gazel too had two versions...one with the herald type bonnet (complete front end opens), and the other with the conventionally opening bonnet in 76...this model also had fiat 1100 or padmini door handles...

all other mechanicals were a direct carry over from the herald, i e the bomb proof 948cc engine OHV, producing around 40hp...my 10 has the same engine, has been through 135k MILES, and only now does it require major work since the last 47 years...!

also check out these that i wrote...

Indian Standards

any more intersting storeis and photos on standards? love to hear bout them...

cheers
karl
Old 10th September 2013, 22:19   #86
BHPian

re: Dolphin, Montana, Rover Montego...

This Aug 1992 India Today article has details of prototypes that never saw the light of day - Mikki, 3-wheeler Miracle, Eddy electric car and most famously, Jaya auto's Mayura.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/a.../1/307558.html
Old 11th September 2013, 08:51   #87
BHPian

Look what I found this morning !

http://jalna.olx.in/i-sell-my-rover-...-iid-511480544
Old 11th September 2013, 10:43   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
Wow, never knew that the estate version of Montego came to India. Could very well be the only one left.
Old 11th September 2013, 13:29   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Yes. In 1983, the Maruti non-AC model was priced at INR 35,000, Dolphin at INR 80,000 and the Yamaha RD350 at INR 32,000. Correct me if its wrong.
Maruthi at launch was 52,500 in Delhi. I am not sure of the Dolphin price.
I do remember the cost of Premier Padmini in 1986-87. It was around 80,000 in Delhi and 70,000 if you bought it in Gujarat. And cost of Maruthi 800 was in the 60,000 region in those days.

The Dolphin was sabotaged by the ruling part back in those days. Fearing that Dolphin would be a bigger hit than Maruthi 800, they were not allowed to release their car with 4 doors. No points for guessing why it was sabotaged.
Old 30th October 2020, 11:13   #90
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dolphin, Montana, Rover Montego...

A cute Dolphin spotted along with classic two wheelers.

Dolphin, Montana, Rover Montego...-20201030_110159.jpg
arun1100 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks