I'll be doing alright for country trash

Johnny Cash
Turbanator is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 11:34   #392
BHPian

Re: What Car @ What Salary ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Demo car from a dealer? I hope you got a massive discount ++ checked it thoroughly as such cars tend to be badly abused.
Yea. Did due diligence and JLR is also doing a 360 inspection.
Odo is set at 3.5k km and I learnt these vehicles are fit with speed limiters and that prevents abuse (is it the case with Germans too?)

The car looks pristine and ex showroom price was preposterously close to Superb L&K
Tutenkhamen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 13:32   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Relevant here I guess

Well, there's not much new ground left to plow
And crops need fertilizing now

Johnny Cash
Feels beautiful to read my favourite country singer, the Late Johnny Cash's name appearing.

An apt lyrics is from another country song made popular by Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard, who did separate cover versions of the original hit by Lefty Frizzell (1952).

The lyrics goes...

And if you've got the money honey and I've got the time
We'll go honky tonkin' and we'll have a time
We'll have more fun baby all the way down the line
If you've got the money honey and I've got the time
There ain't no need to teary' lets start out tonight
We'll have fun oh boy, oh boy and we'll do it right
Bring along your Cadillac leave my old wreck behind
And if you've got the money honey and I've got the time
Now we'll go honky tonkin' make every spot in town
And we'll go to the park where it's dark and we won't fool around...
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 14:16   #394
BHPian

The policy which i believe in and follow:

A. Once we make progress in career and our purchasing power increases significantly, we should buy cars not costing more than our 3 months income because as we progress in our life, we gain other responsibilities/liabilities also along with the increased income.

Also IMO, total value of the vehicles should not exceed more than 5% of one's networth for a non auto enthusiast person and 10% for the automobile enthusiast as those are ultimately depreciating assets.

One more rule to be obseved: We should not buy the vehicle on loan which we cant buy without it.

B. When starting a fresh career (typically low salary/income and low networth stage) and buying the first car:

Ideally one should buy a reliable used car at a price which is less than one's 6 month's income.

If buying new, then
1. Buy something which is reliable, sturdy and has great longevity so that it can serve as a work horse for minimum 10 years.
2. Maximum car price budget should be less than your one year's in hand income.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 14:50   #395
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
The policy which i believe in and follow:

A. Once we make progress in career and our purchasing power increases significantly, we should buy cars not costing more than our 3 months income because as we progress in our life, we gain other responsibilities/liabilities also along with the increased income.

Also IMO, total value of the vehicles should not exceed more than 5% of one's networth for a non auto enthusiast person and 10% for the automobile enthusiast as those are ultimately depreciating assets.

One more rule to be obseved: We should not buy the vehicle on loan which we cant buy without it.

B. When starting a fresh career (typically low salary/income and low networth stage) and buying the first car:

Ideally one should buy a reliable used car at a price which is less than one's 6 month's income.

If buying new, then
1. Buy something which is reliable, sturdy and has great longevity so that it can serve as a work horse for minimum 10 years.
2. Maximum car price budget should be less than your one year's in hand income.
Seriously, what kind of limit is 3 month's salary? It won't pay for road tax in Karnataka. A vehicle is not an asset, it's a tool or for some, a hobby, an expensive one is good for business. People judge professional capability by what car you have, especially for doctors, lawyers, CAs and so on.

Buying a used car is terrible as a first car, especially when financing is readily available for the salaried (this whole thread is about them), a Maruti hatch will serve very well. Loan is about repayment ability, why would you not take a loan if it's offered cheap? What about opportunity cost?

Any car will last a decade or more of you're buying in 2021, my punto is a daily driver after 10 years plus. You can't skimp on maintenance though.
avira_tk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 23:20   #396
BHPian

I think no one is wrong here.

There are 3 types of automobile customers/users here
1. Car/bike just as a means of commuting. It's just an object that moves people from A to B. This type has the highest in number (at least in India).
2. Car/bike as an emotion, passion, life, and breath, etc. (the least number in India).
3. Car/bike as an investment and generating revenue out of it. Car Dealers, Entrepreneurs, Tours, and Travels, Taxis and Cabs, etc.

For Type 1, obviously, it's only head and no heart.
For Type 2, it's always heart and head.
For Type 3, it's head first followed by heart on demand.
Your type depends on what an automobile is to you - I am definitely the Type 2 where I don't mind even going for a 100% loan for the one I love.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 13:39   #397
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

My calculation is simple. One should not go beyond car worth more than his/her 8-10 months take home salary or average monthly income in business. For EMI, it should be around 1/8 or 1/10 of your monthly income so that it will be easily manageable along with other expenses. One can spend more if he/she don't have any home EMI.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 16:01   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
My calculation is simple. One should not go beyond car worth more than his/her 8-10 months take home salary or average monthly income in business. For EMI, it should be around 1/8 or 1/10 of your monthly income so that it will be easily manageable along with other expenses. One can spend more if he/she don't have any home EMI.
I agree, I believe in the same philosophy. The rest of the faff like 3 months take home or 10% of networth is just that; faff.
Old 5th August 2021, 23:15   #399
Team-BHP Support

I was discussing my past cars with other BHPians and noticed a trend.

When I was younger, more passionate/involved in cars and did not have any family I allocated a larger percentage of my income to cars (both in purchase and maintenance).

As I have gotten older, I have more pressure on my time and finances, the car I am driven in has become less important. I now allocate only enough that the car I own is comfortable, sensible and reliable.
navin is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 00:04   #400
Senior - BHPian

Interesting viewpoints.

1. 15% of CTC
2. 3 months monthly income, etc.

So let's just look at that.

A person with a 50L CTC should not buy a car for more than a 7.5L in scenario 1 or about 9L in scenario 2.

And someone with 20L CTC would be 3L or 4L. Basically new car is out of question, something used.

10L CTC, 1.5L or 2L. Hope he doesn't stay in Delhi, else he may buy the car but wont be able to use it legally.

The Reverse is even scarier.

For someone to own a Rapid he should have a CTC of around 90L and in my case about 2CR to own the Rapid and Duster.

If the 'irresponsible me' had a 2CR package today, my signature would definitely said an Endeavour and 330i at the very least

Last edited by Altocumulus : 6th August 2021 at 00:16.
Altocumulus is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 00:12   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
10L CTC, 1.5L or 2L. Hope he doesn't stay in Delhi, else he may buy the car but wont be able to use it legally.

Very very Interesting.
Let alone Delhi, for someone with 10L CTC, they can't afford the road tax of a car in most of the cities. Even a 150cc bike will be beyond reach.

I will go with what others have already said - don't hurry into making a purchase. Take your time to understand your finances, typical ownership costs of a car and most important, your 'disposable' income. Buy something that you won't regret after taking the decision.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 00:16   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Interesting viewpoints.
1. 15% of CTC
2. 3 months monthly income, etc.
My last car OTR price was 75% of my annual CTC and I used it for 10 years. If I follow this 3 months income rule, I can only buy the car from same segment now that to base variants.

Last edited by Latheesh : 6th August 2021 at 00:18.
Latheesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 07:59   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
My last car OTR price was 75% of my annual CTC and I used it for 10 years. If I follow this 3 months income rule, I can only buy the car from same segment now that to base variants.
That's actually a major problem. Prices of every commodity has mostly increased exponentially, whereas salaries have remained more or less same.
Old 6th August 2021, 08:59   #404
BHPian

My philosophy is not to take any loans or EMI to buy a car. Save up some cash, have a threshold for liquidity, and then buy in full cash. Personally speaking, this saves a lot of head + heartache.
maxratul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 15:47   #405
Senior - BHPian

Its not a matter of salary, its a matter of net-worth. Some people have zero salary and buy cars with cash .
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks