Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2022, 01:07   #106
Hbh

Re: Scrapping of Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
(1) How do you know that your car has been scrapped, and not being driven in the hills somewhere? They gave you a “receipt”? Who was the receipt from? AFAIK, in NCR there are some authorised scrappers and only they can issue the certificate acceptable to RTO.

(2) What RTO process did you follow to remove the vehicle from their records?
Hi
For the first point, you are correct that it possibly could be used that way and I have no way of knowing. I did not think of asking for a video of a part of the process like taking the engine out or something. The receipt was from the scrap dealer's own receipt book. They had written "scrap" on the receipt along with other information. I was also given the original chassis plate and RC.

For the second point, I did not do anything personally. We have an agent at RTO who we pay to take care of our DL, RC, etc. I just asked him to do it for a few hundred rupees. He only asked for copies of basic ID proofs and scrap proof(receipt, chassis plate). I never verified that it was actually done or not. When I search for the registration number, it still comes registered to us. Upon enquiring, the agent said that (at that time) scrapping is relatively new and process is unclear. Maybe now things have changed since Haryana introduced a scrapping policy but I'm not sure if it has been implemented at RTO level yet.

If you are planning to scrap a vehicle, I would recommend asking for video of the process or asking for the date on which they will be working on your car and verifying yourself, especially if your vehicle is in good running condition.

Last edited by aah78 : 17th August 2022 at 01:09. Reason: Quote edited.
Hbh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 20:42   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

In the Delhi and NCR areas, most vehicle owners apply for NOC for the machine to be sold outside the disputed metropolis. This happens just before the mandatory period /deadline for non issuance of NOC approaches.

Most inputs say that very less private cars are being scrapped.

The monstrous scrapping facilities by bigwigs of our auto industry may thus go hungry wanting more metal on its appetite. The menu card of these monstrous scrapping facilities reads like:-

-Smaller A and B segment hatches for breakfast

-Mid size C and the bigger D segment sedans/SUV's for lunch

Now if these scrapping facilities go hungry, the big wigs who have invested millions will again lobby for more stringencies and for killing more older cars so that the monster's appetite is fulfilled.

They have also listed 'end of life' imported cars from other countries to be shipped into India for scrapping to recycle the metal, plastics and so on. The scrapping policy has listed this as a face saving measure for the monster's appetite.

Let us hope the 'imported' option works better and the possible malnutrition plus vitamin deficiencies of the monsters are taken care of.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th August 2022 at 20:57.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 21:05   #108
BHPian

Are the EVs and strong hybrids out of scope of the scrapping policy?
Old 8th September 2022, 12:07   #109
BHPian

Scrapping an old unused car

Folks, an elderly relative has an old ambassador from the 1970s. Was used by her dad who had transferred it to her name, which was then neglected and parked in the car shed ever since. The RC has been renewed till 2012 (the car was very sparingly used since they were abroad mostly). Now trying to get it scrapped. Enquiring in TN, the RTO process seems very daunting. Not sure if this is the right process, I'm looking for confirmation/suggestions here on the process. As per the RTO people, the following has to be done:

1. Get road tax and Green tax paid with the penalty for the whole period since 2012.
2. RC non-renewal penalty of 500/- per month since 2012
3. Get a valid insurance

All the above 3 steps are required as per them as the system requires the car to be "current" for any updates. The car is in a completely neglected state and would be impossible to make it run again, considering that it's almost 50 years old. So puzzled on how is one to get insurance for a car that doesn't run. According to them, that's our problem to deal with.

After the above steps are fulfilled, we are supposed to give a letter to the RTO seeking permission for scraping. Upon receipt of this, the RTO will assign an MVI to come to our premises to inspect the vehicle and issue a recommendation letter, that it is not road worthy. Based on the report, a scrappage fee will be assessed and has to be paid to the RTO. Post this we can proceed with the scrapping.

I'm just surprised that scrapping a vehicle requires an inspection for an "unfit" certificate. Wondering if this is just a veiled way of getting us to approach an agent.

Need suggestions. If any of you know of an authorized scrap dealer in the Puddukkottai, TN area please do let me know.
blitz_nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 15:15   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz_nomad View Post

As per the RTO people, the following has to be done:

1. Get road tax and Green tax paid with the penalty for the whole period since 2012.
2. RC non-renewal penalty of 500/- per month since 2012
3. Get a valid insurance

All the above 3 steps are required as per them as the system requires the car to be "current" for any updates. The car is in a completely neglected state and would be impossible to make it run again, considering that it's almost 50 years old. So puzzled on how is one to get insurance for a car that doesn't run. According to them, that's our problem to deal with.
-------
I'm just surprised that scrapping a vehicle requires an inspection for an "unfit" certificate. Wondering if this is just a veiled way of getting us to approach an agent.
Thank the RTO that they didn't ask for the PUC else you would have had to rebuild the entire engine to take the car to PUC center

When new systems are put into place without proper thinking & implementation, strange things happen. That is what precisely happens when following a process is more important than the result. I guess these stuff are asked for because there's a forward clause attached to scrapping of cars which incentivizes the owner in terms of lower taxes when buying a new car.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 17:40   #111
BHPian

Alright. Not related to cars, but I got my dad's old Bajaj Super Scooter Scrapped using Mahindra CERO. However, most of the procedure will remain the same, except you won't get a discount on your next purchase, unlike what the four-wheeler scrapping policy rewards the customers with.

Nostalgia:
My dad is an ex-Bajaj employee who stuck with the company for 35+ years and proudly works with their vendors after retiring. As a kid just starting school, I remember sitting on his bicycle to commute. My mum says he always came home with a sad face saying my classmates' parents had a scooter, but he couldn't afford one. However, once you are part of Bajaj or Tata, life doesn't remain the same forever. The gradual progression kicked in, and he could own a Bajaj Super Scooter within a year. He was so attached to this scooter that even in 2015, when I bought him a 4-wheeler, he still preferred the good old Bajaj. However, considering his age, it took a lot of effort to convince him to drive the 4-wheeler. So our Bajaj Super was eating dust in the parking since 2016. Recently all of us made up our minds to sell it!

Restore Vs. Sell vs. Scrap.
On listing the scooter on OLX, I received many inquiries from customers, but I later realized that the cost of acquiring the green/fitness certificate and renewal formalities itself would not justify the price of selling. So, if I got a customer willing to purchase the scooter at INR 5000, I had to pay almost another 4000+ to the RTO, including insurance and all those years that we missed informing the RTO. I planned to restore the scooter as the engine still had life; started with a kick or two. However, again the legal formalities seemed to be a headache. Cost to benefit didn't make sense already having two cars and two motorbikes. Finally, I started searching for scrap dealers. Strangely none of them who I came across felt genuine. They were people who demanded that I pay them for scrapping instead of offering me the price. The scene from ‘The Family Man’ of an old scooter being used for terrorist activities suddenly flashed before us. Quite frustrated, I then started watching Mr. Gadkari's videos and somehow stumbled upon Mahindra CERO.

The Experience.
Simple hassle-free. Minor delays did happen due to transit delays. But the representative was in constant touch at every stage. He explained all the documentation (all costs including Courier, Stamp Papers, Agreement printing, and Pick-up were incurred by Mahindra CERO) to me. I shared the soft copies of the RC along with my bank account details where I wished to receive the scrapping amount. The scooter was picked up and sent to their scrapping unit in Talegaon, Pune, on a specified date. Surprisingly the scrapping amount was credited to my account immediately. In three weeks, I received the Metal piece cut from the scooter that bears the Chassis number and a Certificate of destruction along with before-after images of the scooter. The only feedback I have is that CERO should provide an option where the owners can view their vehicles being scrapped personally or virtually.

Images of the scooter being picked up.
Attached Thumbnails
Scrapping of Cars-sup1.jpg  

Scrapping of Cars-sup2.jpg  

Last edited by virajvroom : 30th June 2023 at 18:00. Reason: Typo and Image update
virajvroom is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 14:32   #112
BHPian

Hi Fellow BHPians,

My uncle's 1998 Mitsubishi Lancer seems to have finally come to the end of its life cycle, as the work that needs to be done on it will set us back more than the car's value. I wanted to know what the procedure for scrapping this vehicle would be in Bangalore and if there are any benefits I can avail of from the new scrappage policy.
Old 4th September 2023, 11:57   #113
BHPian

How can I find the 'Magic Seats' from Honda Jazz from an older model that is being Scrapped? Any leads, clues about Delhi NCR scrap market will be appreciated
Old 4th September 2023, 20:37   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince707 View Post
How can I find the 'Magic Seats' from Honda Jazz from an older model that is being Scrapped? Any leads, clues about Delhi NCR scrap market will be appreciated
Mayapuri car market would be your best bet
Old 4th October 2023, 18:23   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virajvroom View Post
...As a kid just starting school, I remember sitting on his bicycle to commute. My mum says he always came home with a sad face saying my classmates' parents had a scooter, but he couldn't afford one.
Slightly OT, but we could not see a part of our parents memory wither away to be broken down into parts...

For similar reasons as the post above, but on my wife's side story, we just could not let the scooter go away. So we decided to keep the LML part of our homes, literally. She is parked in the living room because we are not able to find time or have the patience to get her re-registered in Hyderabad. The scooter is currently in TN. The scooter runs fine, just needs a few kicks and she roars into life. 2-stroke power and smell of unburnt petrol + 2T oil is something kids today wont understand.

Scrapping of Cars-befunkycollage.jpg
svsantosh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 20:56   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virajvroom View Post
Alright. Not related to cars, but I got my dad's old Bajaj Super Scooter Scrapped using Mahindra CERO. .
Hello, can you please share the contact number, i have a Activa in Thane, need to scrap it.

Thanks,
Naveen
Old 2nd November 2023, 11:30   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Hello, can you please share the contact number, i have a Activa in Thane, need to scrap it.

Thanks,
Naveen
Call their toll-free number, and they should get back with the details of their nearest facility.

https://cerorecycling.com/
virajvroom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 11:10   #118
Senior - BHPian

Happened to come across this site related to Vehicle scrapping.

https://vscrap.parivahan.gov.in/vehi.../welcome.xhtml

Scrapping of Cars-rvsf-parivahan.png.
This website gives a one stop solution for vehicle scrapping through official register vehicle scrapping facilities in the states of India. One catch however, only those vehicle which are in VAHAN database & exceeded their end of life can be scrapped using the website. There is a user manual which one can refer to when applying for the scrapping, attached here for ready reference. The RVSF details tab shows the list of registered scrapping facilities state wise

user_manual_RVSF_V1.pdf
ghodlur is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 22:20   #119
BHPian

Anyone know how to cancel insurance of car before scrapping it? My car has 6 months of insurance left and it has already reached EOL. Do i have to cancel insurance before or after scrapping the car? What documents are needed for car scrapping?
ramotra3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 23:23   #120

By reading this, it looks like adding hassle to the process is by design, like all things RTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz_nomad View Post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks