Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 13:29   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
@khoj: What you have mentioned is the engine options in overseas market. Even here in Singapore Jetta is sold with 3 variants - the entry level 1.6, and the two 1.4 options you mentioned above, mated with 7-speed DSG. But this does not mean that they'll bring the 1.4 TSI to india. Its good if it happens, but the fuel quality in India could be an issue then.
Hi vb-san,

I based my choice of engine on the fact that if they are launching the Passat with the 1.8 then the Jetta cannot have that. I was not aware of the 1.6 being there.

The 1.6 does seem to be the better choice even though the 1.4 will be cheaper. But then again VW cannot sell a smaller engine compared to what was being sold till now. Further the 1.4 is a bit too small than the 1.8 that the competition offers and the average customer is not going to appreciate Tsi etc but is simply going to go with the larger engine. The impending launch of the Polo 1.6 in some months also points in the direction of the bigger engine.

As for the fuel quality the engines will be detuned accordingly. The Tsi is here to stay with the Passat and it is available in some of the Audi models being sold currently.

Last edited by khoj : 18th March 2010 at 13:36.
Old 18th March 2010, 19:50   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi vb-san,

I based my choice of engine on the fact that if they are launching the Passat with the 1.8 then the Jetta cannot have that. I was not aware of the 1.6 being there.

The 1.6 does seem to be the better choice even though the 1.4 will be cheaper. But then again VW cannot sell a smaller engine compared to what was being sold till now. Further the 1.4 is a bit too small than the 1.8 that the competition offers and the average customer is not going to appreciate Tsi etc but is simply going to go with the larger engine. The impending launch of the Polo 1.6 in some months also points in the direction of the bigger engine.

As for the fuel quality the engines will be detuned accordingly. The Tsi is here to stay with the Passat and it is available in some of the Audi models being sold currently.
Hi Khoj,
It will be fantastic if VW can market well the TSI engines in India... Almost whole of VW range is switching into this technology. In SEA market, even the Skoda Octavia (Laura in India) is running on the famed 1.4 TSI...
Old 18th March 2010, 23:29   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hi again vb-san,

How could I forget, the Laura petrol sold here is indeed a 1.8 Ltr Tsi engine putting out 160 Bhp.
Old 19th March 2010, 02:26   #49
BHPian

Do any one know about the specifications of the VW jetta with a CRDi motor? I am waiting for it to arrive. I am thoroughly impressed by the jetta but disappointed with the 100 BHP PD motor currently. I would love to see a 150+ BHP diesel mill in the Jetta.
Old 19th March 2010, 04:15   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv007 View Post
Hi I got a call from VW Coimbatore today. The 1.9pd engine has been replaced with a 2.0l crdi engine producing 140 bhp. The passat diesel has been discontinued and it has been replaced with the 1.8tsi petrol. The DSG gearbox has been discontinued on all it's models. Only manual transmission is available.

The on road pricing is given below

Jetta trendline(2.0 diesel)- 1610000
Jetta comfortline(2.0 diesel)- 1790000
Passat (1.8 tsi)- 2120000
What? Looks like the Pune dealer is either sleeping or pulling a fast one on me. He is still selling the 1.9PD Comfortline DSG at LIST PRICE! And now why did they have to can the DSG? I think that was the Jetta's USP.
Please read my post : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...legance-4.html

Not to mention they have hiked the price.
Old 19th March 2010, 10:25   #51
Team-BHP Support

like mentioned earlier, i think they are upgrading the engines now and will launch the newer technology DSG boxes in a few months i.e the dry clutch ones. cars in this segment will not sell if no auto if offered.
Old 19th March 2010, 10:39   #52
Senior - BHPian

I actually feel sad for the people, who have already bought the normal diesel engine option Jetta. This is for sure going to hit the resale of the same.
Old 19th March 2010, 10:51   #53
BHPian

^^ True.

Which might be a good thing for used car buyers.
Who would mind a 2 yr old Jetta at like 50% or lesser price ?
Old 19th March 2010, 14:17   #54
BHPian

Can't wait for a Jetta with ----> 1.8 Tsi + DSG + Paddle Shifters...!!!
Old 21st March 2010, 09:48   #55
BHPian

2011 Volkswagen Passat and Volkswagen Jetta Car India: Engine, Price & Specs | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog

This link give details of the engine changes in the Passat and the Jetta with photos.
Old 21st March 2010, 11:38   #56
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
I actually feel sad for the people, who have already bought the normal diesel engine option Jetta. This is for sure going to hit the resale of the same.
Don't be.... PD engines as just as good as VW CR engines, if not better. VW CR engines suffer from turbolag which PD has very little of, and PD offers efficiency figures matching CRs. The downside of PD tech is being noisey and more vibration, where as CR engines are supposed to be high on refinement. But VW CRs are yet reach that level of refinement - they are noisy, and are nowhere close to TDCi or CDI in the level of refinement.
Old 21st March 2010, 12:15   #57
BHPian

The PD engines are being replaced as they do not meet the latest pollution standards. VW had to stop production of the Jetta and Passat in the USA for nearly a year in order to replace the PD with the CRDi.

Last edited by ivar1951 : 21st March 2010 at 12:16.
Old 21st March 2010, 18:30   #58
BHPian

I asked a Skoda salesman in Pune and he had the info that VW is changing the engines from Apr 1.
He also mentioned that Octavia will also get a CRDI engine but was not mentioning anything on Laura as I was TDing the 1.9 PD. He asked me to check with his senior tomorrow.
Old 21st March 2010, 19:51   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
I asked a Skoda salesman in Pune and he had the info that VW is changing the engines from Apr 1.
He also mentioned that Octavia will also get a CRDI engine but was not mentioning anything on Laura as I was TDing the 1.9 PD. He asked me to check with his senior tomorrow.
You can be sure that PD engines in all cars, inlcuding Skoda, will be history very soon as they do not meet the latest pollution standards even in India.
Old 21st March 2010, 22:17   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
You can be sure that PD engines in all cars, inlcuding Skoda, will be history very soon as they do not meet the latest pollution standards even in India.
I checked Skoda UK website and the 1.9 PD engine is available in UK and the website also mentions that it meets EU4 norms which is BS4. Attached is the snapshot. The CR engines meet EU5 norms.
So is the change motivated by emission norms or is it something else?
Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks