Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a hatchback for Rs. 10L (OTR)?
Yes 205 47.79%
No 224 52.21%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2012, 23:21   #151
BHPian

Re: Would you buy a hatchback for 10L?

voted NO. if i spend 10L on a car i will expect more space like a sedan or SUV. In a hatch if u need more space u have to end up folding the rear seats. a 10L car should seat at least 4 comfortably and swallow loads of luggage.
Old 7th June 2012, 18:15   #152
BHPian

i had a question which has been on my mind for quite some time..

why don't car manufacturers launch a performance version of each model/make in their lineup ? Ok lets say not all model/make but a few selected models in their lineup.

Say, they have a 1.2/1.3 ltr hatch. And it's selling a lot and is a great success. Ok, now what holds them back from launching a performance version of the same hatch ? Even if they sell only 10-50 nos. in a year of the performance version how would it matter ? I'm sure they are making profits via the regular versions.

Even if the performance version cost equal to or more than the next up sedan from the same manufacturer and they only sold very limited nos it would still do them good by increasing their image with a performance version and also help this niche market grow. People can and will only buy the performance option when it's available. Now with the economy growing their are a lot of people who will be willing to spend upto 10L on a hatch + launching such cars will help the market for such cars grow.

So if they are reaping in profits with the regular hatch/sedan, what is really holding them back from launching a performance version even if it sells only in small nos. ?

Can someone kindly explain this to me ?

Thanks,

Rana
Old 7th June 2012, 18:23   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti
i had a question which has been on my mind for quite some time..
Can someone kindly explain this to me ?
Perception is the biggest killer. If someone says their car doesn't give good efficiency figures, morons won't ask what engine or specs but what brand. Thus brand suffers.

Secondly the inventory is to be maintained for even smaller quantities.

I hope this helps.
Old 7th June 2012, 18:38   #154
BHPian

Well, according to me, if I had that amount to spend, I would only consider a hatchback if there are parking constraints. Otherwise, it is plain stupid. :-)
Old 23rd June 2012, 23:30   #155
BHPian

10L for a hatchback? If I were looking for a hatchback, I might consider it - a fully loaded Swift Di would probably be around 7.5-8L on-road, so I could add an extra 1L to the budget, along with the rumored 1L excise for diesel making it 10L.

Having said that, I wouldn't buy a hatchback because I make about half a dozen trips a year requiring the use of boot space. When I have a vehicle for 25 kms of running a month, I might as well have a sedan for the half dozen trips in a year.
Old 23rd June 2012, 23:42   #156
BANNED

Give me a rwd, good bhp motor and I am happy all day.

Anyways not gonna happen except for the bmw 1.
Old 23rd June 2012, 23:48   #157
BHPian

A Hot Hatch? Hell yeah. If they can put a 150 HP Motor in there and still get it between 10-11 L OTR, who needs a sedan?
Old 24th June 2012, 01:13   #158
BHPian

Yes definitely! A hot Hatch like the 2012 Vauxhall Astra VXR or the Focus RS would be awesome for around 12-13lacs.
Old 24th June 2012, 06:50   #159
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuarterMile
Yes definitely! A hot Hatch like the 2012 Vauxhall Astra VXR or the Focus RS would be awesome for around 12-13lacs.
I might want to consider a sexy, sassy little Alfa Romeo Giulietta at a price of about 9 to 10 lacs. Truly yummy hatch. Couldnt care less about the female friendly positioning. I would like to drive it!
If they would be realistic and bring in a Mini One at around 15000- 16000 GBP equivalent, it would translate into around 11 lacs and I would not feel too bad in considering one. The present price of 30 lacs is stupid.
Old 24th June 2012, 08:46   #160
Team-BHP Support

A Performance Hatch always has a strict love hate relationship.
One class will always want to buy it as it gives them what they need.

The other side will always weight the price against the space on offer. Having said that a performance
hatch will always find takers in some numbers (small or large) for sure. Imagine a Golf at 11L, a country man
sans 4WD at 15L ! It would be a war to claim for each selling piece.
Old 24th June 2012, 12:51   #161
BHPian

I would definitely buy a hatchback for 10 lakhs if the car has a strong engine and handles really well. It should also feel like a well built car. The jazz for example is built very well and just doesn't feel like a small car.

Considering the fact that a swift ZDI is almost 8 lakhs on road I don't think spending a lakh or two more on a hot hatch should be an issue. One car I would love to buy for around 9-10 lakhs is the swift sport 1.6 petrol. I love the way the two door version looks and with the strong engine just makes it better. I doubt it will ever come to India though.
Old 24th June 2012, 13:42   #162
Senior - BHPian

Guys, we have hatches being sold pretty much close to this figure now. i20 Asta CRDi costs ~9.2L OTR in Bangalore. And its no hot hatch either. In my eyes, its just a big gizmo. Rain sensing wipers? Auto headlamps? Huh! Am I blind or what??!!
blue_pulsar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 15:12   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted yes. Give me the sx4 hatchback, 1.6mjd, all wheel drive and whatever is the international specs. I don't mind sacrificing a boot for its capacity as a crossover. Efficient, easy to drive and park and many such advantages. Same is my choice for an enthusiasts hatch having one hell of an engine in it and that will be my recreational drive for sure. Beat around a small diesel hatch for the entire week. Forget FE, forget petrol prices, fill my second car up and roar around the town in the weekend
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 15:14   #164

The i20 asta is already >9 lacs on road. And its one hell of a car with more features than the ANHC. I wouldnt mind buying something like the i30 for about 10lacs
Old 24th June 2012, 21:28   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Guys, we have hatches being sold pretty much close to this figure now. i20 Asta CRDi costs ~9.2L OTR in Bangalore. And its no hot hatch either. In my eyes, its just a big gizmo. Rain sensing wipers? Auto headlamps? Huh! Am I blind or what??!!
Very well said mate. It's not a bad car but seriously over priced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks