Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which magazine will you subscribe to this year?
Autocar India 432 65.55%
BS Motoring 79 11.99%
BIKE India 16 2.43%
CAR India 29 4.40%
Top Gear 156 23.67%
Overdrive 140 21.24%
Indian Auto 11 1.67%
Any other (Please name) 41 6.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 659. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2012, 13:15   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: The great Indian Car Magazine War

I buy top gear off the shelves every month. TG is great, but when it comes to numbers they do a very shoddy job. If you refer their new car buyer's guide, you will find many incorrect numbers and typo errors. On the contrary Auto car is very precise in this aspect, but their writing is somewhat dull and boring.
TG's test drive reports too are becoming very predictable with many indian folks trying to ape JC, RH & JM in their attitude. But its good fun reading the magazine.
H/ever, after joining team bhp, I dont think I have ever looked at any magazine for any decisive information. When I made the decision to buy the Rapid 3 months ago, it was purely based on information from T-BHP.
Old 22nd June 2012, 13:28   #242
BHPian

For me overdrive it is. I find the quality of tests and the methods to be quite professional. Ofcourse there are odd times when the guys say, this car does everything well, but that car is the ultimate winner. In any case, I have team-bhp which gives unbiased views. Also in most of the magazines, last 10-15% pages are reserved for ads, some 5-6% pages for motosport news (which I personally dont even look at), and some 10 odd pages containing list of all the indian cars and bikes, which most of the times is a CtrlC CtrlV job from the previous issue.
Old 22nd June 2012, 13:30   #243
BHPian

I have subscribed to Auto India for a long time. The magazine is never delivered on time . I get the magazine only after I call them or email them.
I buy top gear occasionally.
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:04   #244
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Autocar continues to dominate!

In the latest Indian Readership Survey (IRS 2012 Q1) Autocar India has achieved a readership figure of 296,000 readers per month...which is the highest ever in the 12 year history of the magazine. The readership is twice more than the next auto magazine, and also exceeds the readership of the next two auto magazines combined!

Congrats to Hormazd Sorabjee & Team.

Curiously, BSMotoring is no longer in the top 3 (a position it held for long), and has even been overtaken for spot 4

The great Indian Car Magazine War-autocar-readership.jpeg
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:37   #245
Senior - BHPian

I was an avid reader of these magazines but not anymore as I find the articles in most of them quite similar, be it the reviews or the segment wars. If one magazine comes up with a segment war the next months issue of the others will surely contains the same. I think reading on team-bhp is much better, besides its free
Old 23rd July 2012, 22:34   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

I think we need another option - 'None' And that's what I would select. With TBHP I don't need an auto mag subscription.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 22:36   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I think we need another option - 'None' And that's what I would select. With TBHP I don't need an auto mag subscription.
+1.

Honestly, I don't consider any magazine to be genuine and unbiased at least in India. I prefer to do my own research instead of reading these magazines.
Old 24th July 2012, 08:14   #248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Autocar continues to dominate!

In the latest Indian Readership Survey (IRS 2012 Q1) Autocar India has achieved a readership figure of 296,000 readers per month...which is the highest ever in the 12 year history of the magazine. The readership is twice more than the next auto magazine, and also exceeds the readership of the next two auto magazines combined!
Not suprising. Without going much into the brand affinities, I must say that the overall quality is pretty good – whether it is on the overall packaging, or the articles they carry. I believe it helps them that Autocar is an international name (and hence adhering to the processes and quality standards). And their key crew –Hormazd, Renuka etc. are probably the most seasoned and updated in the Indian mag world.

Interested to see if TopGear can get into the second slot next year.
Old 24th July 2012, 08:54   #249
Senior - BHPian

I have subscribed to the AutoCar and TopGear iPad editions.
I like both these magazines in particular though I keep buying the others too from the news stand.
Old 24th July 2012, 09:44   #250
BHPian

I have never bought an auto magazine after i joined TeamBhp. So yes, there should be a "None" option for folks like us
Old 24th July 2012, 10:34   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...Curiously, BSMotoring is no longer in the top 3 (a position it held for long), and has even been overtaken for spot 4...
The article from BSM are also available in the Business Standard's Weekend edition. I noticed that the articles are practically the same though printed in the newspaper after a delay. The point I am making is, that BSM readers need not buy the magazine.

In recent times What Car? and Auto Bild are decent reads.
aditya101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 10:41   #252
Senior - BHPian

The same goes for that silly ZigWheels from TOI - what a waste of a bunch of journos. Simply copy paste rehashes of articles written by others.

I also like What Car and AutoBild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
The article from BSM are also available in the Business Standard's Weekend edition. I noticed that the articles are practically the same though printed in the newspaper after a delay. The point I am making is, that BSM readers need not buy the magazine.

In recent times What Car? and Auto Bild are decent reads.
Old 4th September 2012, 23:25   #253
BANNED

Re: AutoCar - True Lies

Had to pull this thread out of freezer. Not exactly any lies here but suppression of facts, sure is. Of late, Autocar India has been perceived as being overly generous to Hyundai. And it shows at page 39 of their latest issue at "Top 10 models July 2012".They made a mention of i20 making it to the list as a noteworthy performance. Ok, good. But what about i10 and Eon? Where are they? Why no mention about that? Eon, a car built to take on Alto and i10, a hot-selling hatch until recently did not make it to the list yet no word about that from Autocar. What do we call this?
Old 5th September 2012, 08:54   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Had to pull this thread out of freezer. Not exactly any lies here but suppression of facts, sure is. Of late, Autocar India has been perceived as being overly generous to Hyundai. And it shows at page 39 of their latest issue at "Top 10 models July 2012".They made a mention of i20 making it to the list as a noteworthy performance. Ok, good. But what about i10 and Eon? Where are they? Why no mention about that? Eon, a car built to take on Alto and i10, a hot-selling hatch until recently did not make it to the list yet no word about that from Autocar. What do we call this?
Did they list the i20 1.4 CRDI or the 1.2 VTVT?
Old 5th September 2012, 12:16   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
True. I remember i had got an edition maybe a year ago when they did a comparo of all the diesel hatchbacks, around the time the Liva diesel was launched. That edition listed that the i20 had the worst quality interiors compared to the other hatchbacks! Now that is hilarious. Since then i haven't bought a new issue of ACI, even though they tried tempting me with this years Anniversary Edition about the Ecosport(that too with a different engine lineup). I think the only reason i will ever get a new issue is when i need an update on car prices
BTW u do mean that ACI are perceived as being UNDER GENEROUS to hyundai isnt it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks