Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which magazine will you subscribe to this year?
Autocar India 432 65.55%
BS Motoring 79 11.99%
BIKE India 16 2.43%
CAR India 29 4.40%
Top Gear 156 23.67%
Overdrive 140 21.24%
Indian Auto 11 1.67%
Any other (Please name) 41 6.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 659. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2010, 02:24   #196
Senior - BHPian

Me too voted to the winner with the huge margins. I am reading the magazine for many years and I read almost all the reviews before I got my first car. Among auto magazine first priority is Auto Car India.
Old 4th February 2010, 07:44   #197
BANNED

I think its unfair to continue this poll as this started in 2005. At least close this thread and start a new one with the updated list to find out the trend of 2010.
Old 4th February 2010, 08:02   #198
Senior - BHPian

THe best magazine by far is Autocar india. Their coverage and reports are truly amazing and even the quality of paper is much better in comparisons to the other magazines.
My vote is for Autocar india.
Old 4th February 2010, 18:20   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
THe best magazine by far is Autocar india. Their coverage and reports are truly amazing and even the quality of paper is much better in comparisons to the other magazines.
My vote is for Autocar india.
I like Autocar too but it needs to pull up its socks. For example, in its buyer's guide it continues to list the Passat 2.0 as a pumpe duse (PD) engine when this engine has been replaced by the CRDi. The eye for detail is missing. Many readers may end up not buying the Passat because of the PD.

Then take TopGear. It often leaves me confused with its conflicting remarks/ratings. Talking about the Cruze in its buyer's guide, it says:

"The car can leave wet spot marks on the trousers of the Civic and the Corolla" but then rates its only 12/20!

Last edited by ivar1951 : 4th February 2010 at 18:22.
Old 5th February 2010, 11:02   #200
Senior - BHPian

Auto india.

Have subscribed to it.
Good Honest reviews and the quality has improved greatly over the years.

Priced well too.
Old 7th March 2010, 11:24   #201
BHPian

Overdrive's march issue carries a photo of Beat stopped on the wrong side! Page - 12. Wonder what kind of review We can expect from someone who stops a car facing the oncoming traffic.
Old 7th March 2010, 12:03   #202
BHPian

The mag war.

For me, Autocar India is no. 1.
I would also vouch for the speed of giving the latest news / information,
of a lesser known mag called 'AutoBild India'.Since AutoBild India is a forthnightly publication, it helps in giving the latest news at a faster pace.
However,IMO, its TD reports are too short ( which they are meant to be)and hence can't be of not much help to the layman.
Another mag viz.'What Car' too has better information / tips on various topics.
Old 7th March 2010, 13:55   #203
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 8th March 2010 at 11:29.
sandygordon is online now   Received Infraction
Old 27th April 2011, 20:29   #204
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: The great Indian Car Magazine War

News just in! ACI's readership is MORE than all other car magazines combined.

I've said it before and will say it again : if there's one car mag you need to read in India, it's this:

The great Indian Car Magazine War-aci.jpg
Old 27th April 2011, 20:41   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Ofcourse it's Autocarindia, except their slight negligible bias towards Honda and Bajaj,they offer the best info on cars,but have limitations on detailed reports that only team-bhp can offer (team-bhp have limitations in giving technical details.) and also half of the pages are adverts.
Hate Overdrive as it's heavily biased and thinks VW is the best of all,also their reports speak more about the writers than about the cars.
Top Gear as usual goes with "nothing above 'great Britain' " philosophy,which can be seen in Land Rover vs Land Cruiser debates, ACi also affected slightly by the 'great Brit' attitude.
Old 27th April 2011, 21:38   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
News just in! ACI's readership is MORE than all other car magazines combined.

I've said it before and will say it again : if there's one car mag you need to read in India, it's this:
That's great to hear. After all, since Sep 1999 when the first issue of Autocar India came out, I have read every single issue of this great magazine. And I also respect the editor of the mag, who seems to be doing a brilliant job at the helm of the affairs. Once I started following Team-BHP, I stopped buying all other magazines like Overdrive, BSM, TopGear, etc. but not Autocar India. Way to go Autocar Team!
Old 28th April 2011, 08:47   #207
BHPian

I ,like all of you guys, prefer autocar india. I feel overdrive concentrates more on the luxury segment. they carry scoops and first drives of cars that just don't vibe with me because i know i am never going to buy them. Autocar india, on the other hand examines the segment below 20 lakhs more closely.ACI also carries a romour coloumn. Sometimes they do fun articles like testing a HAL helicopter, a battle tank and , if i remember right, a bullock cart once
Old 28th April 2011, 10:38   #208
Senior - BHPian

For some godforsaken reason that i am now unable to recall, i subscribed to Overdrive a couple of years ago. Now in its third year, it will finally end after 3 months time (like really, what on earth was i thinking). Sigh of relief. I then plan to take up 1 from either ACI, TopGear or BS whichever seems most appealing.
Would be good riddance from Overdrive whose editor IMHO is in serious need of help and him along with his team try doing stunts and the so called straight faced humour hoping to come close to the Clarkson-Hammond-May trio. If nothing else i admire the poor fellows confidence. Have had thoroughly enough of them , especially Mr. editor. Wish i could give him a huge piece of my mind. He pisses me off
ACI/BS/TG here i come.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 28th April 2011 at 10:41.
Old 28th April 2011, 10:49   #209
Senior - BHPian

My OD subscription has ended and boy am i glad ! They love anything with the VW and Honda badge. Of all the publications, i'd agree with the poll, Autocar India is the best.

I'm still wondering if i should go ahead and subscribe to ACI, as all the auto info is here on the forum
Old 28th April 2011, 11:40   #210
Senior - BHPian

Auto India was the best .All that I know about cars is because of this super magazine .
OD without AJD was bad ,but Yogendra Pratap was tolerable.But now ,its pathetic .I dont bother to read it at all .

ACI is no way comparable to the old Auto India ,but still thats what I like reading these days . Now that bus travel is getting faster and sophisticated ,am sure many of us would love to read something on this once in a while

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks