Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2010, 12:53   #31
BHPian

I agree with GTO, honda and toyota don't take india seriously, india is heaven for small car manufacturers but i wonder what took them so long in launching small cars. Both are international giants, have huge port folio, are present in many other developing countries, they just had to pick a suitable model to launch it here. But the are not so optimistic about indian market. And their other products are doing really well, so why to bother???

When honda came out with bikes, i was shocked to see their target sales number for first year which merely a few thousand (15-20K may be) that too when company was well set with activa and deo. This clearly shows their lack of seriousness in indian market.

I hope they change their maind sets for india now.
Old 6th January 2010, 13:36   #32
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post
I agree with GTO, honda and toyota don't take india seriously, india is heaven for small car manufacturers but i wonder what took them so long in launching small cars. Both are international giants, have huge port folio, are present in many other developing countries, they just had to pick a suitable model to launch it here. But the are not so optimistic about indian market. And their other products are doing really well, so why to bother???

When honda came out with bikes, i was shocked to see their target sales number for first year which merely a few thousand (15-20K may be) that too when company was well set with activa and deo. This clearly shows their lack of seriousness in indian market.

I don't think they are not taking india seriously- else why would EVERY toyota launched so far be a hit? Same for Honda- except for a couple of models...i think they are focussed on the premium sedan and above segments and not interested in entering the small car.
Even though the hatchback and small car segment is more in sales, the margins and profits maybe better in MUV, premium sedans
Going by the number of Innovas , Corollas and now Fortuners Toyota has sold no wonder they can be laid back..
Honda too is milking its City cow big time so why worry/focus on anything else maybe...
Old 6th January 2010, 13:39   #33
BHPian

Just found this information
Toyota reveals Etios Hatchback and Sedan details - Global premier at 2010 Auto Expo - Motoroids.com

"
oyota has also announced that the Etios Hatchback will retail for around Rs.4.5-5 lakh and will be powered by a 1200cc petrol engine. The Etios will mark Toyota's foray into the B+ car segment and will compete against the likes of Hyundai's i20, VW polo's and Maruti-Suzuki's Swift. The Etios sedan will be priced around the Rs.10 lakh mark and will be powered by 1500cc petrol engine. It will compete against the current C segment offerings like Ford's Fiesta and Honda's City top name a few.
Toyota officials did not release any more information as the scheduled launch of the Etios concept is in December 2010. Toyota is expecting tthe Etios to register sales of around 7,000 units in the first year of its launch.
"
Old 6th January 2010, 14:14   #34
BHPian

Is that the Yaris renamed as Etios?
Old 6th January 2010, 15:26   #35
BHPian

I think they want to compete with the Manza & the Indigo. If so, they have to price it accordingly.

AT 7+ lakhs the options are far better equipment levels as compared to what the Etios offers. (The i20, Swift etc)

It's just that the dash design has really gone haywire and too radical for average Indian tastes. Along with that the cost cutting plastic.

OT: What is with so much plastic ? All the recycled American credit cards ?
Old 6th January 2010, 18:32   #36
BHPian

I fail to understand how can the world's largest company not come up with a single model which leaves you awestruck.

It looks like recession has caught up with Toyota and they have thrown out all the well paid car designers and hired the cheap ones. Hence the results.

Etios looks like big brother of logan and is downright ugly. My 4 year old nephew can draw a better car than this. Hope it never gets launched.
Old 6th January 2010, 19:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

That Etios sedan looks ugly from the back. Quite a disappointment I'd say. And nothing spectacular on the stand either. I still think dumping the Lexus launch for a small car project is a bad idea.
Old 6th January 2010, 20:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

I am disgusted with what Toyota thinks of Indians.
Look what you have done toyota, A-star looks cool now. Ritz will sell in droves.

Never did I dream that we will get this treatment. Sorry a stern disapproval from my side.
Old 6th January 2010, 23:39   #39
BHPian

The car simply looks like a combination of a lot of cars, the overall look is a "better logan", the interior door pads and arm rests on doors look like from honda city, the side mirrors are directly from corolla altis. The dashboard atleast the center part of it looks from Indica Vista. Don't know why but I had a lot of hopes from this car. I just hope engine and technology wise it won't disappoint.
Old 7th January 2010, 10:56   #40
BHPian

the Prius seems to be the combination of Linea's front and ANHC's back.
Old 7th January 2010, 14:03   #41
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the excellent coverages. Boggles my mind to think-quality revoluation apart why are the models so ugly.

Is this India (read developing country) specific? I think Toyota's design team needs serious retraining.
Old 7th January 2010, 20:02   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
Thanks GTO for the excellent coverages. Boggles my mind to think-quality revoluation apart why are the models so ugly.

Is this India (read developing country) specific? I think Toyota's design team needs serious retraining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post
I agree with GTO, honda and toyota don't take india seriously ....
As per this article (you have to scroll down a bit) Toyota had India and Indian drivers and conditions firmly in mind when designing the Etios.

I guess they went by our response to cars like Indigo and DZire when designing the Etios and figured that external style did not really affect sales
Old 8th January 2010, 09:48   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post
Is that the Yaris renamed as Etios?
Toyota has been juggling with names, shapes and capacities for their smallest and cheapest car since the 90's. They first called it TERCEL. Then came YARIS and ECHO. And now its ETIOS.
ECHO was the previous version in the middle east, a kind of use-and-throw car from Toyota, with no mark of Toyota whatsoever, in terms of quality / finesse / reliability. It was like those Optras and Caprices from GM manufactured in Korea.
This one looks very similar. I havn't seen the insides of this car. But, I can guess this definitely might not do any justice to the tagline 'Toyota - Quality Revolution'. Just have to wait and watch.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 8th January 2010 at 09:51.
Old 8th January 2010, 11:22   #44
BHPian

I feel Etios hatch is a copy of Yaris and Etios sedan is a copy of Vios. With some cosmetic changes and some cost cutting, they will be launching these in India.

And if take a case of developing countries, then in Indonesia they have lot of models of Toyota.
In Indonesia, Toyota product range includes Prius, Camry, Corolla Altis, Fortuner, Vios, Yaris, Rush, Innova Kijang, Avanza, Alphard, Landcruiser.

So it is a specific case with India where Toyota is not coming up with more models.
Old 8th January 2010, 13:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

Post no. 2 of this thread is updated with more info on the Etios Concept

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks