Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2010, 14:20   #46
BHPian

CARAZZIES Award For Cars Of The Noughties Decade

Hello ppl,

It is the awards season. You have the Start Screen Awards, The Oscars, and closer to our turf, the iCOTY and Autocar Car of the year, etc, etc.

So, I decided to have an award ceremony of our own right here on the most beloved, Team-BHP forum. This one, I hope will not just include the usual suspects but also the awards that usually elude the tuxedo wearing public at usual ceremonies. And to top it all off, I have included the entire noughties decade.

I know its not over and there is one whole year of auto enthusiasm left but I will reserve my right of artistic and writer's freedom and carry on anyway.

And before we begin, I know there will be countless debates on the winners but that is the point of a forum, isn't it ? In any case, It is not like I am actually handing out awards to winners (Yeah, I wish!), so don't hold yourself back and trash my views, present your own winners, nominees, whatever...

Let the drums roll and our first award for the period is

(da-da-da-dang, da-da-da-dang)

Biggest Launch Of The Decade

What better way to launch an award ceremony... with the biggest launch in auto industry in the past decade. This surely has been a tough one considering almost every vehicle on roads today was launched in the past decade. Some launched and then kept re-launching every passing year and there were also some which launched with a bang but then somehow fizzled out.

This was one vehicle that changed how we looked at cars from a company which has consistently been breaking norms of segments. Small can be big, big can be efficient, and biggest can still be cheap. Every time the company came with a concept, whole nation stood up and watched and then flocked to showrooms. There has been a quintessential element to every vehicle manufactured here. It is made for India, by Indians, and for Indians. No wonder, the company grew in stature and took the fight to bigwigs of this trade and then this vehicle was launched... For the first time, not just India but entire world's eyes were glued to one event in South Mumbai which revolutionized how Indian automobiles were perceived by the developed world. CEOs, Top management and reporters from all over the world flocked to have a glimpse of a car which not only changed auto Industry and auto manufacturing bust challenged the traditionalist approach. India was no more a mere dump ground for outdated models from Europe and Japan but a self-sustained auto manufacturer.

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Award For Biggest Launch Of The Decade Goes To...

TATA NANO

The entire nation was bitten by nano-mania and just about everything from news paper columns to road side peanuts started coming in nano sizes. Nano technology did not make this word as famous as the vehicle from Tata Motors. The launch itself did not disappoint. The nano-mania swept the nation as bookings opened for the most awaited vehicle and people flocked to nearest Tata dealers to make their dream of car a close reality. Even with problems in Singur, Nano continues to be phenomenon that made Indian manufacturing a part of world operation. People world over still yearn to have their hands on this little magic. The whole concept seemed unreal to most and bringing it to reality hadn't been easy either. Infact it could make for a great bollywood masala movie but in the end (and win some more awards), In Ratan Tata's own words :

"A Promise is a Promise."

This is a Small Car of nano dimensions but harboring a billion hopes.

Runners-Up:
  1. Tata Indica
  2. Fiat Uno

(Agree / Disagree - Comment. That is what our forum means. And don't forget to hang for a new award and winner. Tomorrow.)

(PS: Sorry for lack of picture of the proud winner. Apparently upload was taking way too much time. I will try again later. )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks