Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2005, 00:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Specs wise Indica Petrol and Palio 1.2 look very similar, but Indica would score on A/S/S and better resale than Palio. Palio will score more on ride, build quality, finish and overall refinement but loses on brand name. Both are safe and sturdy, and equally sluggish, though Indica will have some edge in acceleration, while Palio will have edge in handling and ride

If your head rules, go for Indica. If your heart rules, go for Palio. Check with Chennai Palio owners for a/s/s, v_s_natrajan. Fiat future looks far more upbeat than it was 6 months back.
Old 11th August 2005, 00:32   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay
1. Good/Decent FE [11 or 11+]
2. Good Ride and Handling
3. A good and responsive PS
4. Decent luggage Space and comfortable seating for 5 [sadly the criteria where Wagon R loses ]
5. Good Power and pickup..[for the weekend trips and drives]
Ajay Karthick
1: Palio or Indica P
2: Indica for ride, Palio for handling I guess
3: depends...I dont like the Indica steering feel but its not bad
4: Indica everytime
5: Indica P again

Quote:
And I'm unable to decide between the Petrol and Diesel Indica... Seeesh!! Anymore who'd be able to vouch in favour of the Petrol Indica?? I truly love the vehicle for its space and everything, but FE worries me...
I own a Indica LGi so please go and read a detailed review of the same in the review section...
If you already love a vehicle why are you so much influenced by what "people" say about it? I liked the car . altho most opinions abt it were bad and thouhg I liked the Palio better I still went ahead and bought the Indica since it fit my requirements best.
Old 11th August 2005, 01:28   #18
Team-BHP Support

i have driven the indica petrol a couple of times , and the engine gives you a big car feel somehow and so do the comfort levels , go for the indica blindly , you can just never go wrong with it considering the price it is offered at.

manson.
Old 11th August 2005, 09:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
I was checking the user manual could not find it anywhere. Are you sure its not 14990kms or 15100kms. If we get the ECU software changed can we fix the "lot of noise" setting to occur after 50K kms?
It is well known that Indica Diesel make lots of noise (just like a truck). 15000 kms is what I experienced in my in-law's car.
Old 11th August 2005, 09:22   #20
BANNED

What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas

But I think you should STAY in the queue for the Swift. The car is going to enjoy great resale value for the coming years - something that niether Tata nor Fiat can command.

I am puzzled..buy a new car after waiting for six months & sell it..immediately

I feel if we sell a new car after say 5 years..resale factor is not much a criteria..it comes into effect only when you sell with in 2 to 3 years..

Then question is for what your are buying..just to extract all the juice of a new car & then sell it to a poor chap..whose gonna empty his pocket for repairing..but still you get your pocket full..with a wicked smile!
Old 11th August 2005, 10:14   #21
BANNED

Quote:
2. Tata Indica Petrol [no one enthusiastically claims that its FE is good to talk about] or
3. Tata Indica Petrol [underpowered, would get noisy and sluggish and it crunches more miles].....

And I'm unable to decide between the Petrol and Diesel Indica... Seeesh!! Anymore who'd be able to vouch in favour of the Petrol Indica?? I truly love the vehicle for its space and everything, but FE worries me....

AK
PM me if you want details about the Indica Petrol. I have a March 2003 V2 LSi touching 43K km. I have no regrets on buying it.

FE is all up to the driver. I get an overall average of 11 kmpl - this is 90% city and 10% highway, measured over 42700 km. A/C usage is 100% and when I wait in the car, many times for 20 minutes or more, the engine and A/c are always running.

I routinely upshift only at or above 2000 rpm in each gear, never go into 5th below 60.

I don't think its underpowered - maybe others with more exotic & powerful machinery do.
Old 11th August 2005, 10:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Not immediatly Hasopi, after 3 years.

While the idea of using a car for 5 years is certainly not bad, this is what I practice, I sell my cars between 36-40 months. In my experience, this is the time frame (window) where you get the maximum possible resale value, in Kerala. You should start trying to sell it once it completed 36 months and sell it in the next four months. There is an exception, our family-owned 1984 model Japan Maruti. It is not for sale.

"just to extract all the juice of a new car" - will not applicable to my vehicles, I am a careful driver and owner, I even hire a cab (to go to some places where the roads are terrible), instead of using my own vehicle. Perhaps I am extracting the juice of the cab...

Regarding a second hand sale, I never buy second-hand, and no second hand car is perfect. In Kerala people who buy used cars are often richer than the people who buy new cars. So unless I am very careful, I (the seller) will be in the receiving end of wicked smile.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 11th August 2005 at 10:27.
Old 11th August 2005, 10:45   #23
BANNED

Me too

Quote:
Not immediatly Hasopi, after 3 years.

While the idea of using a car for 5 years is certainly not bad, this is what I practice, I sell my cars between 36-40 months. In my experience, this is the time frame (window) where you get the maximum possible resale value, in Kerala. You should start trying to sell it once it completed 36 months and sell it in the next four months. There is an exception, our family-owned 1984 model Japan Maruti. It is not for sale.

"just to extract all the juice of a new car" - will not applicable to my vehicles, I am a careful driver and owner, I even hire a cab (to go to some places where the roads are terrible), instead of using my own vehicle. Perhaps I am extracting the juice of the cab...

Regarding a second hand sale, I never buy second-hand, and no second hand car is perfect. In Kerala people who buy used cars are often richer than the people who buy new cars. So unless I am very careful, I (the seller) will be in the receiving end of wicked smile.
from so called God's own country! we do share somethings in common
Old 11th August 2005, 11:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hey I thought you were from the silicon city....

Steeroid is also from Kerala, he said...
Old 11th August 2005, 11:15   #25
Team-BHP Support

@RX135, Grab an issue of Autocar India June 2002(Or was it July 2002?) you fill see a comparison test between palio 1.2 and Tata indica V2 Petrol. According to ACI Indica scores in handling and acceleration, while Palio offers better ride quality. the difference in refinement was not worth the extra money Palio was asking according to ACI. The reason there is so much negative publicity about Tata indica petrol is
1. tata is a diesel car maker, and people dont trust them with petrol
2. the FE is 14-15 highways and 10 in city while santro/Zen give 18-19 on highways and 12+ in city
3. Tata indigo Petrol did lots of experiments on design of fuel pipes, ECU stuff etc., and many things were badly designed. They have learnt now but due to low volumes sometimes spares take time to come, and also there are lots of disgrunted experimental customers, one of which i know personally very well. This guys fuel pipe got cut. Tata had already realized that the fuel pipe design was wrong as it rubbed against a metal part. So they changed the design and old style fuel pipes went out of stock. This guy had to call up the Tata Motors area sales head. the problem got solved quickly after that, but left a lot of bad taste.

As for the Fiat Palio, its a good car no doubt, but fiat is planning to get new hatches in india to kick start the market. So what if the Palio is discontinued due to extremely low volumes as other models pick up in sales. this in my opinion is the biggest factor against palio 1.2. It may not be the car to bring back fiats fortunes.
Old 11th August 2005, 11:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey I thought you were from the silicon city....

Steeroid is also from Kerala, he said...
Oh I am a Malayalee too - half to be accurrate. Dad is from Trivandrum.
Old 11th August 2005, 12:09   #27
Team-BHP Support

There are two 4 year malayalees on this forum. Amitoj and me. We studies in REC Calicut(Now NIT).
Old 11th August 2005, 12:13   #28
BANNED

me from

Quote:
There are two 4 year malayalees on this forum. Amitoj and me. We studies in REC Calicut(Now NIT).
TKMCE Quilon..then IIT Madras..now bigblue.
Old 11th August 2005, 12:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Which batch Hasopi?
CET (Trivandrum) ... then IIM A ... what is big blue? LOL
Old 11th August 2005, 12:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Make that 3, tsk. Rahulmd is also an ex CREC'ian.

Amitoj

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks