Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2009, 15:03   #16
BHPian

Shall we expect a all new 800cc KB series engine (downsize of present 998cc version used in A star and Estilo)?

Its exceptional car, I owned one for 5 years. Lots of manufacturer annual sales picture don't match Alto monthly sales figure in India, that's the testimony.

A star will difinitely take the reign from alto, but not now. Alto also took time to do that from Maruti 800. Also success of Nano will be critical in the outcome.
Old 25th September 2009, 16:11   #17
BHPian

In July'09, there was another Limited Edition Model Alto FLASH

And most of the features of eXite were available 3 months back and without any increase in the Price!!!!!!!!!
Old 25th September 2009, 16:19   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
If the price difference for a K-series engine can be a mere 5-7K, why they need to continue with the old model in tire-2 cities?

The Royalty for the Engines is reduced over a period of time. Sometimes, the Cost of manufacturing a new engine and old one may be same, but the Cost of developing a new engine will be spread over a period of time. It is just like depreciation.

But, the advantage to Maruti or any other manufacturer to continue with older models is that their profit margin will be huge compared to the new models.

And No Manufacturer will be faithful to the Customer or End User by charging a fixed Profit Margin. As the Model grows old, first it'll hit the Break even Point and then the Profit Margin keeps on increasing,
Old 26th October 2009, 15:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Alto & WagonR to have next-gen BS-IV compliant engines.

Source : Maruti Alto & WagonR to have next-gen BS-IV compliant engines*-*WheelsUnplugged Automobile Industry News
Old 26th October 2009, 15:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

I guess they will reduce the prices of A-star and replace alto with it ..... anyways metros are not the real market for alto, its mostly sold in smaller cities, same as m800
Old 26th October 2009, 17:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

I think Maruti is upgrading the powerplant in Alto to either K series or updating the existing F series. However, the recent news suggest that they are planning to put in K series motor. Apart from being good motor, Maruti will have advantage in economies of scale as the A-star unit will be under Alto, A-star and new Estilo.

A post : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1547933-post67.html has a news article that has slight indication about K10B going into Alto. It will be a very nice hatch then.
Old 26th October 2009, 17:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Now this explains it all why the excite was launched. The Alto is a hot seller for Maruti as of now and they are sure to come up with something pretty soon.
Old 26th October 2009, 21:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Now this explains it all why the excite was launched. The Alto is a hot seller for Maruti as of now and they are sure to come up with something pretty soon.
I read/heard from somewhere that only 1000 Xcite's are made. So, not that many and they aren't available at all places. In Bangalore, Xcite has a 1 month waiting period
Old 27th October 2009, 08:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) I think for Major cities, Maruti will offer K series motors and for other cities, Maruti will give two engine options for alto, one that F8 and other K10.

2) Maruti will have a very big advantage in economies of scale. They may not increase the cost of Alto and even if they do, it wont be more than Rs. 5-7K. The economies of scales at maruti is very high.
I don't think Maruti will provide different F8 & K10 engines simultaneously for the customer. That would be difficult for them in production line. This can happen at the beginning till the F8 inventory exist.

They may increase the price of new K-series eng. for 10-15K the max. else alto is at stake.
Maruti will never go wrong when pricing is concern. And Alto still rules the sales figures.
Old 23rd November 2009, 10:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

One point everyone seems to be missing here is that the F8D can very well be tuned to meet BS IV norms. Yes I'm not kidding. It can be done. The only question is whether Maruti is willing to do it or not. I don't think Maruti will be able to upgrade the Alto to the K series engine with a minor price hike like 5-7k. If they could, the would have brought the Swift with the M13A motor from day one insteead of the old G13 motor from the Esteem. Your are looking at a hike of around 15-20k for the K series unit. IMO it would be better if the could offer the AStar with two engine optons, the F8D BS IV and the current K series unit. The AStar needs to shave of at least 50k from its current price to get that thing moving on the sales chart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
I don't think Maruti will provide different F8 & K10 engines simultaneously for the customer. That would be difficult for them in production line. This can happen at the beginning till the F8 inventory exist.
I don't thnk they need to exhaust the stock of the F8D is a hurry. The BS III models can very well be sold in the rest of India barring those 10 cities.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Dippy : 23rd November 2009 at 12:00. Reason: See note in post.
Old 23rd November 2009, 10:42   #26
MCR
BHPian

Plonking the 3 pot K series unit in Alto would mean end of the road to A*. Also the cost of Alto would go up and too close to Santro territory. The option for Maruti would be to upgrade the current engine to meet BS4 norms or discontinue Alto in 10 cities where BS4 would come into effect.

However alto would be a great performer with K series engine.
Old 23rd November 2009, 10:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

I don't think they will pull the plug on the F8D soon. IMO that would be a dumb move by Maruti. Especially with the H800 coming up from Hyundai! It think it be there till the Euro 5 norms kick in atleast.
Old 31st March 2010, 19:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Any updates on Alto getting the new K-Series engine ? And can we expect it anytime soon ? Don't care much for bells & whistles in the Excite/Flash models, but would like to have the latest engine.
Old 31st March 2010, 21:09   #29
cLJ
BHPian

The autocar website has listed the cars to be discontinued due to BSIV and Alto is not included, which means Alto will be getting an engine upgrade.

CLJ
Old 1st April 2010, 00:32   #30
BHPian

Once Nano full production starts and Tata releases Diesel version of nano, Alto will be impacted. It has to be seen how big or small the impact will be. Depending on that Maruti will either launch a new version of Alto or bring down the price. Eagerly waiting for the outcome.

Can any one point me to the TestDrive to do list thread?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks