Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2009, 13:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
X-Trail,Teana and then Micra.And nothing in between for now..such a huge void in Nissan's line-up.

If you want something bigger than Micra, consider the A-Star. Ugh. oh. A-Star is MSIL, no? Actually, no. See Nissan nearly doubles order from Maruti- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 8th August 2009, 14:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

i saw a Nissan-Renault staff bus yesterday, is that means production has already started ??
Old 28th August 2009, 11:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nissan to shift production of small car from UK to India

Nissan to shift production of small car from UK to India - India Business - Business - NEWS - The Times of India
NEW DELHI: Forget China, it’s focus India for global automakers, courtesy small cars. In a move that reflects the growing stature of the Indian

car industry globally, Japanese major Nissan has decided to shift the entire production of its small car, Micra, from the UK to India. After production of the Micra begins here, Nissan plans to manufacture four more models in India, involving a total investment of over Rs 2,000 crore.

The move underlines the rush among automakers to rationalize production costs and move to locations that offer the best value and quality. “We have decided to manufacture the Micra at our upcoming factory at Oragadam, near Chennai,” Nissan India MD and CEO Kiminobu Tokuyama told TOI.

The company’s Chennai plant will start production from May next year, and export markets would be catered to from autumn, Tokuyama said. Nissan, he said, plans to meet Micra’s requirements for the entire European region as well as some other markets like West Asia from the Chennai plant. “We plan to start with export volumes of 1.1 lakh units, which would be gradually scaled up to 1.8 lakh units as demand goes up,” Tokuyama said.

But what prompted the step? “There are many benefits in India, including a high-quality vendor base that is also cost-effective, leading to globally-competitive pricing,” Tokuyama said. Nissan will thus emulate companies like Hyundai and Maruti Suzuki, which make small cars in India to export to Europe.
Old 28th August 2009, 12:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
i saw a Nissan-Renault staff bus yesterday, is that means production has already started ??
My colleague's brother works with the SW division of Renault-Nissan and according to him the designs of both X02A and X02B is a closely guarded secret inside a "lab" with restricted access and a private network inside.

The design briefs for the people on the projects are to target best in class rear seating comfort and FE.

So it is safe to assume that production has not started, plus we are yet to see any kind of a prototype testing in India.

OTOH,I see almost daily a beat up Nissan sedan - guess it is a Sunny , the design is from the eighties. But it runs a red plate with white numbers. Anybody knows what that kind of a plate means ? The plate reads like TN01 TC XXXX
Old 28th August 2009, 16:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Micra could compete with i10 etc. but the reall competitor to the Jazz is the Tidia which is a great HB/Sedan and can give some serious competiton to Jazz/City here.
Old 28th August 2009, 18:34   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

There's a lot of great hatchbacks out there, including the Micra, that are pretty darn competent. The only challenge is our exceedingly price sensitive market. Maruti, Hyundai & Tata have got the value game covered. It will be very difficult for anyone to match these three players in cost of production per hatch (and thus, ex-showroom price). It's not impossible, but the 3.5 - 5 lakh hatchback segment requires a phenomenal amount of commitment. Early players obviously enjoy & exploit their advantage. Nissan & Renault have been affected by the global recesssion, would they be willing to commit? Not to mention, their initial innings (Logan, Teana & X-Trail) have been pathetic.

Another challenge : Distribution. Dealers that cover the length & breadth of our vast country are mandatory to a mass market small car's success. Right now, few entrepreneurs are willing to invest money in a dealership. And the number of potentials have been steadily dwindling over the past 5 years.
Old 28th August 2009, 18:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Talking of Micra I fondly remember my four day stint with the car. I do not however agree with @speedmiester that it is a bad handling car.

I did the complete Greek Peloponnese island from Athens and back. The car was extremely frugal as compared to VW Eos that was driven earlier. The car is at no stretch an eye candy but has extremely user friendly cabin, lot of cubby holes and lot of space for two traveling. the best part was that on a single day I covered more than 900 kms from sun-rise to sunset and did not feel fatigued.

On Indian roads it will be interesting what Nissan/Renault does. The market is already saturated but yeh dil mange more Indians will have good time in this French/Japanese car.

Cheers!
Old 28th August 2009, 20:58   #23
BHPian

Guys! Update, I saw the Micra in the first picture parked on the roadside in Kirti Nagar Market yesterday (was driving with dad , so no pics. It had A MH-43 regn. Had a Pinkish/ pale orange kinda color.

Road worthiness tests?
Old 1st October 2009, 18:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

first official sketches released by Nissan, pics from worldcarfans.
Attached Thumbnails
Official:Nissan to make India global production and export hub for new Micra in 2010-313315.jpg  

Official:Nissan to make India global production and export hub for new Micra in 2010-5147447.jpg  

Old 1st October 2009, 18:31   #25
BANNED

personally the looks of the car donot impress me but one thing is for sure,the small car market in india is spicing up
Old 1st October 2009, 19:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

looks nice! cheeky bubbly look, like the spark.
Old 2nd October 2009, 08:24   #27
BHPian

If Nissan come up with a globally competent product like Micra, they have huge potential to establish in Indian market. I don't think the distribution, sales and service will be a major area of concern as they can tie up (at least initially) with players like Suzuki, Mahindra or any other existing players, than setting up their own network.

Globally Nissan and Suzuki have lots of tie ups. I don't know whether it works in an Indian scenario, especially with Maruti. But a more possible partner is Mahindra, as in the case of Renault.

More than these logistic issues, the most important success factor is the 'positioning' which determines the target market and the pricing. In UK I had seen micra is well positioned at the entry level with good value (not cheapest), people who used this car got a very good opinion. In India if they position the car in the 'heart' of the mass market its going to be a success. Otherwise we will have one more white elephant, like 'Honda Jazz'.

Last edited by sunil8089 : 2nd October 2009 at 08:35.
Old 3rd October 2009, 17:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

The car is coming in May 2010 if the following news article is to be believed. I think renault has good diesels with them, so plonking one will not be an issue. Next I hoop they have learned lessons from Logan.

Source : Nissan reveals sketch of global compact car

Article :
Quote:
Japanese car maker Nissan today revealed the sketch of its global compact car that would be produced in five countries, including India from next year.

The production of the new model would commence at the company's upcoming Chennai plant from May 2010, Nissan Motor Co said in a statement.

"We are confident that the car, which will be manufactured locally in Chennai will delight the discerning Indian customers. We are serious and committed in our plans for India and are all excited as we gear up for the start of production in May 2010," Nissan Motor India Managing Director and CEO Kiminobu Tokuyama said.

The car would be sold in over 150 countries across the globe and would be manufactured in four other countries including, China and Thailand, besides India.

"The car is being built on our global platform at our plant in Chennai. We are not in a position to disclose the final name of the car and also other details related to product specifications and pricing, which will be announced at some time in future," a Nissan Motor India spokesperson said.

The Rs 4,500 crore Chennai plant being built jointly by Nissan and its French parent Renault will have an installed capacity of four lakh units annually.
Old 3rd October 2009, 17:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The car is coming in May 2010 if the following news article is to be believed. I think renault has good diesels with them, so plonking one will not be an issue. Next I hoop they have learned lessons from Logan.
the current micra is ugly and i hope they don't think of dumping it on us here. the concept sketch is only a designers sketch and impractical for manufacture.

I hope renault wakes up and gets the twingo and the megane in the i10 and the 120 segments.
Old 5th October 2009, 09:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Seems to be Nissan is planning for a bigger foot print in Indian market,How abt the A.S.S?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks