Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Most logical and Practical Hatch for the price.
Chevrolet Aveo U-VA 6 2.39%
Fiat Punto 77 30.68%
Ford Fusion 60 23.90%
Honda Jazz 7 2.79%
Hyundai I20 57 22.71%
Maruti Ritz 39 15.54%
Skoda Fabia 5 1.99%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2009, 11:57   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
Looks does matter .

More than 4 persons told me that it looked l weird, somebody told me looks like a frog etc etc.

Heard similar reactions(but in lesser extent) for swift when it was launched

But it was maruti launched at great price and this is Ford with insane price.

So the result.

What to say. A very good product failed because of failed strategy.
yeah hrishi, what made ford failed with their superb product in indian market was their poor strategy and pricing which could on other hands might have seen the other way around like swift.
Old 16th July 2009, 12:06   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
well...since we're at it, here's some pics of my fusion:
Nice interiors. But I suggest you get the padding on the doors also done with the same materials.
Old 16th July 2009, 13:35   #78
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Just went thru your thread Glifford. Great car and very well kept !! Here's wishing you many years of happy motoring with the FF 1.6 ! One of the reasons I like the car so much is because ase friend has a FF1.6 for many years now (6?) and he just cant think of changing cars yet.

Also, I'm not a member on yahoo groups...will look into that...

EDIT: Yes I am actually a member here...my pics are there too ! Not asctive there however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Nice interiors. But I suggest you get the padding on the doors also done with the same materials.
Guna...yea it was a long term plan, and I think the time has come I need to upgrade the door panels and the ICE a lil bit..

Last edited by NIP : 16th July 2009 at 13:41.
Old 16th July 2009, 16:26   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
After reading up on some of this thread's responses, I'd say YES. The Fusion was probably ahead of its time. Maybe it wouldn't have ended up as the best selling 6 lakh car of 2009, but the Fusion would surely have enjoyed wider acceptability today. It is only in the recent past that 6 lakh rupee hatches have gained a comfort level in the minds of the Indian car buyer. Nothing is really wrong with the Fusion (save for the stiff ride), and it does better other 6 lakh cars in some ways. Personally, I think she's a heck of a drive too (typically Ford).

Unfortunately, once a product has suffered market failure for 3 - 4 years at a stretch, it's very difficult to stimulate demand again. The Fusion's case is closed in India.
@GTO

I differ.

When was the last time we saw an ad for Fusion in the paper or on the TV? Why does the Fusion always stay at the back in the showroom display, while the Fiesta, Ikon and Endeavour scream for attention parked almost touching the glass panes? Why are potential customers looking for something just like the Fusion unaware such a car even exists? Why does the Ford India website not even list the diesel+ specs, or even all the colours of the Fusion - why does clicking one colour show a Fusion in a different colour?!

In essence the 200 odd Fusions that used to get sold per month before or the 57 that get sold now, are in spite of Ford's marketing than because of it. Visit any showroom and ask if you should buy a Fusion and you will definitely be talked into considering the Fiesta instead - without any logical reason they have on offer. So you will need to fight off even the sales guys to reach to a stage of buying a Fusion, forget the hearsay folk around you. It is only the guys who have the facts on hand and know their stuff that finally manage to reach a stage of buying it, weathering through all the opposition! And yet, 57 guys fought through all this, this month!!!?

But then, why would Ford want to invest the extra metal to build a Fusion and sell it for less, when it can plonk less kilos and the same components into a Fiesta and get a better margin? In Europe/UK, Ford is more expensive than the Fiesta (hatchback), the reverse here.

Ford has never worked on a 'market development' for Fusion. But now we have Honda, Fiat and Hyundai faithfully create a market free of cost, clearing up sedan-centric notions. In my opinion, this is a juicy opportunity for Ford to match up the bling (add a climate control, blue & me etc. - gaps against the new comers) and position Fusion head on against the Jazz, Punto, I20 as well as the sedans as SX4, Verna, City etc. with some clear comparative marketing on space, performance etc. etc., akin to the Santro/Matiz wars a few years back.

I think the Ikon story can be repeated, but Ford probably has several other considerations I am not aware of, to keep the Fusion numbers low. I don't see why a good product can't sell, if it is marketed well.

Last edited by Glass : 16th July 2009 at 16:38.
Old 16th July 2009, 22:46   #80
Senior - BHPian

those were the exact thoughts I had. Fusion can still sell well if marketed properly. Sales are low because people dont even know the car exists. Its a bigger car than the fiesta too.

But ford should not call it an suv or estate or anything else but a hatchback and target straight at Jazz and I20.

57 to 570 wont be a bad move in terms of sales.
Old 16th July 2009, 23:11   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
But ford should not call it an suv or estate or anything else but a hatchback and target straight at Jazz and I20.
Ford calls this vehicle as UAV (Urban Activity Vehicle).
Any how attaching a excel sheet with diff parameter of the vehicle that we are polling for...
Fusion_Compare.xls

Screen shot for easy compare
Ford Fusion a superhatch before its prime?-fusioncompare.jpg
Old 17th July 2009, 07:43   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Any how attaching a excel sheet with diff parameter of the vehicle that we are polling for...
Attachment 159931

Attachment 159932
can you put getz numbers here?
Old 17th July 2009, 08:12   #83
BHPian

A similar comparison

Not quite as detailed, but a similar comparison I had done sometime back, based on data from Carwale.com. The second last car included (since not visible due to the watermark) is the Maruti Swift - VXi.

Owning a car is obviously beyond just numbers, but numbers do lead to some logical reasoning to want to own a car.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fusion a superhatch before its prime?-comparo.jpg  

Last edited by sachinayak : 17th July 2009 at 08:13.
Old 18th July 2009, 09:43   #84
Senior - BHPian

I clearly think that even today 80% of the people dont look further than Maruti, Hyundai or Tata. Ford and GM are clearly some of the big losers when it comes to brand image and the recent recession hasnt helped matters at all.

The slow sales of fusion can also be attributed to these external factors.
Old 18th July 2009, 09:57   #85
BHPian

Who is to blame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I clearly think that even today 80% of the people dont look further than Maruti, Hyundai or Tata. Ford and GM are clearly some of the big losers when it comes to brand image and the recent recession hasnt helped matters at all.

The slow sales of fusion can also be attributed to these external factors.
Agree! Who is to blame for it?

Wrong products, not guaging the Indian sentiments and perfectly right products (Ikon TDCi, Spark, Optra Magnum, Fusion TDCi, Captiva) coming in when its already too late!

Maruti was the incumbent, so let's ignore it. Tata has always been a respected company, so their products will sell.

But what about Hyundai? Just 10 years in India and they created a brand for themselves. So much that they are held in high regard (unlike elsewhere in the world where they are considered second fiddle, cheap, Korean, only if you can't afford a Japanese etc.)

In India Hyundai is often regarded above Suzuki. How did they manage this?

Right products at the right time and good marketing. They won the trust of the average Indian!
Old 18th July 2009, 10:28   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Attachment 159931

Attachment 159932
So, Jazz is the big daddy of them all. To compare Fusion with Jazz today, it falls short in interior space. The width does however make the shoulder room very good. It does however have different attributes advantageous in Indian conditions (ground clearance)

In the specs, we do not have the interior width (especially the rear seat).

Last edited by srishiva : 18th July 2009 at 10:31.
Old 18th July 2009, 11:37   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
So, Jazz is the big daddy of them all. To compare Fusion with Jazz today, it falls short in interior space.
Not sure how you came to the above conclusion.

Fusion is wider, longer but marginally shorter (6mm). I do not own a Fusion, but any Fusioner can vouch for the interior space. It can easily sit 3 on the rear seat. Yes, I agree the boot is smaller.

And honestly, a large-dimensioned car does not mean much without an appropriately powered engine. Just my 2 cents

Last edited by sachinayak : 18th July 2009 at 11:39.
Old 18th July 2009, 11:48   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Not sure how you came to the above conclusion.

Fusion is wider, longer but marginally shorter (6mm).
Longer or shorter?

Fusion Petrol: 4018
Fusion Diesel: 3989
Jazz: 3900

I guess you meant the wheelbase!

Quote:
I do not own a Fusion, but any Fusioner can vouch for the interior space. It can easily sit 3 on the rear seat. Yes, I agree the boot is smaller.
Make that 4 in a squeeze. The door inside mouldings allow you to sit very close if needed and your elbow can be inside the big door and outside the seat.

Quote:
And honestly, a large-dimensioned car does not mean much without an appropriately powered engine. Just my 2 cents

But that's you and me. The Average Indian looks for economy with maximum space at lowest price and that's where the Fusion lost out. The Jazz will eventually lose on price. I can see comparisons with Xylo in the average buyer's mind!
Old 18th July 2009, 11:51   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Longer or shorter?
I guess you meant the wheelbase!
Oops, i meant shorter in height.
Old 18th July 2009, 11:56   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Oops, i meant shorter in height.
That is a good thing, unless you need excess space over your head (as in the conventional Tall Boys like the WagonR & Santro). It also means that the car will handle better because of the lower CG. Something that the Fusion excels in (despite its height). It can put several sedans to shame in that department.

Surprisingly, no matter how tall it looks, the Fusion (1529) is actually shorter than even a Swift (1530) and significantly wider too!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks