Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2005, 13:57   #16
BHPian

Is it possible to have a lock installed on the tank lid cover??? Methinks it shoudl be possible. Or one can have a lockable cap instead of the one which can be just removed by twisting. Any idea where one may be available?
Old 16th June 2005, 14:23   #17
Team-BHP Support

Most central locking systems come with 6 ports. 4 go to doors and 2 go to bonnet and boot. You could probable put the bonnet one on the fuel lid so that if anybody pries open the fuel lid, alarms will ring. Other option would be to use touch sensitive central locking so then the moment anybody starts touching the car hard it beeps.
Old 22nd April 2006, 16:26   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprabhakar
One of the involved drivers demonstrated how simple it was to open the fuel lid using a thin screw-driver
MSP, were u also able to open fuel lid on your baleno in a simliar fashion?

wouldn't the 'security system alarm' go off if this is done on a baleno-vxi, which already has this nippon-alarm.
Old 22nd April 2006, 16:49   #19
BHPian

MSP, can u pls post the picture of the scratches you mentioned.
Old 28th April 2006, 11:39   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Scary. Our fiesta doesn't come with a fuel cap lock and the average has fallen a bit (as it is, our average is 14kmpl before and around 13 now while others in Mumbai are reporting 15+ and i should ideally be getting 15 as i leave home at 7.30 in the morning and return at 4.30 from Juhu)
Old 28th April 2006, 14:56   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprabhakar
Mulund (W), at the employee car park of an mnc with a prominent lawn (a landmark).
msp
Let me guess... is it a pharma giant?
Old 17th May 2006, 11:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Guys fuel can be stolen even without touching the fuelcaps..there is fuel line which passes from under the left back wheel..it has a fuel filter.u can remove the fuel line connecting the fuel filter and u will have the fuel comming out of the line and then u can collect it .
Old 17th May 2006, 17:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Most central locking systems come with 6 ports. 4 go to doors and 2 go to bonnet and boot. You could probable put the bonnet one on the fuel lid so that if anybody pries open the fuel lid, alarms will ring. Other option would be to use touch sensitive central locking so then the moment anybody starts touching the car hard it beeps.
I would prefer that you remove the one in the boot rather than the bonnet because if one opens the Bonnet and disconnects the Battery then the whole system goes for a six.

If you talk to Central locking guys they will give you an additional sensor for fuel cap. Should cost around 600 bucks.

Frankly, there are thousands of ways to remove fuel from the car. These Telgis are so smart that just a tap on the tank would tell them the quantity of fuel in your car. Its the resonating sound from the Tank that give them the idea. But this normally happen in movie theatres that have enclosed parking and that too mostly at the late night shows. I prefer to park on the streets wherever possible.

God bless.
Old 17th May 2006, 18:51   #24
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
Guys fuel can be stolen even without touching the fuelcaps..there is fuel line which passes from under the left back wheel..it has a fuel filter.u can remove the fuel line connecting the fuel filter and u will have the fuel comming out of the line and then u can collect it .
I don't thihnk so, You nee to have the fuel pump running to have any fuel in the line. Most modern cars depend on it.
Old 22nd May 2006, 16:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
I don't thihnk so, You nee to have the fuel pump running to have any fuel in the line. Most modern cars depend on it.
Only if you want to remove it from the engine compartment. ( just where it enters the Carb or Mpfi. But if you want to knock it off from the tank, then you just got to sleep under it, yank the tube out and gravity will do te rest.

S long....
Old 16th July 2009, 16:20   #26
BHPian

How easy is it to steal petrol from a parked car?

I just now read a news article in Deccan Chronicle and want to hear from Gurus on Team-BHP.

The article says that people in Hyderabad are now stealing petrol from parked cars in movie theaters and malls.

I know that the fuel line to the engine is exposed or tucked under the car, but I am not sure how is it possible to steal it from there as the article states.

Source: Parked cars, prey to fuel thefts | Deccan Chronicle.
Old 16th July 2009, 17:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Boss do you actually believe deccan cronicle, we used to buy this paper only during sundays and that too for the classifieds. This paper cannot even be used as tissue paper. Prasads i-max is one of the high securitry cinema complexes in india, forget the underground parking even the open parking has a very high security arrangement. In my two years of stay in hyderabad i have gone to imax and parked my cars there almost every weekend, never found anything like this, none of my friends told me this. Yes due to less number of pumps there are a lot of small shops (especially in the old city area) who sell petrol, which is highly adultrated. it is not unwise to think that they have stollen it form somewhere.

This entire story reminds me of a old malayalam movie where in 2 aspiring journalists get beaten up by villagers, because some newspaper printed some nicely fabricated sex scandel story about their village
Old 16th July 2009, 18:09   #28
BANNED

it's surprisingly easy. all I had to do to drain petrol from my OHC fuel tank was to loosen a strategically placed screw. once you get under the car with a big enough container, it's cakewalk.
anybody armed with a decent container, a wrench and a jack can steal petrol pretty easily as long as people don't notice him squirming under the car.
Old 16th July 2009, 21:42   #29
BANNED

afaik its very easy.. i remember a kid near my area stealing petrol from altos and swifts.
the good thing is he got caught and was taught a lesson.
Old 16th July 2009, 21:50   #30
BHPian

This is scary and looks like there is some truth in DC article. Well, I wish car manufacturers will take notice of this and come up with better solutions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks