Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2005, 14:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

The Elantra-Accent and Octavia-Superb story have proven something in our country. In the above 5 lakh segment, leave alone the Mercs and other high end brands, if you launch the less expensive variant first (Accent launched before Elantra, Octavia before Superb), the chances are that the higher end car won't set the sales charts afire. The reasons could be psychological at best

The Superb is a great car, suffers from what most people believe isn't the price to pay for it. Neither has Skoda attempted to spend much time or money in pushing it. As Rtech says, it is to showcase to the Indians that Skoda can very well build High-end luxury cars as well. Sales should remain a fraction till such time.

Revv
Old 15th June 2005, 16:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

I've seen only a handful of SUperbs even here in Europe. It doesn't sell here exactly for the same reason as why Marutis don't sell fro more than 6L. People don't want to buy a cheap VW at that price, they'd rather have something more prestigious.
Old 15th June 2005, 17:01   #18
Team-BHP Support

The superb was created for the same reason that the ambassador survives over here = Ministers (Czech) and Taxis - it is simply a rebadged long wheel bas VW Passat that is made for the chinese market
Old 15th June 2005, 17:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Actually speaking, there are lot of people who would have bought Superb had a diesel version been launched in India...

Let's not forget, it is the TDI engine which made Skoda a success in India and not the Petrol engine. Even with the new 1.8Turbo engine, the TDI engine sells more than all petrol variants combined. Very unfortunate that the Skoda didn;t understand this and missed the opportunity.

With launch of New Octavia, which resembles the Superb even more, the sales of Octavia will get hit even further...
Old 17th June 2005, 11:46   #20
BHPian

Yep all valid reasons above why we dont see that many Superbs....
Funnily I saw 2 cars today at the same time which I have hardly ever seen on the road...
I was behind a black Superb and an Elantra was coming from the other side......:-)
Old 17th June 2005, 12:15   #21
Team-BHP Support

If the Superd had be launche with a Diesel Engine (the 1.9TDi would not have ben able to pull it) it might have stood a chance against the Accord V6. In short the V6 ate it!
Old 17th June 2005, 12:28   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Agreed with ST7677 - A diesel variant would have helped matters for the Superb.

I remember a conversation with a sales manager of a Mumbai dealership. Apparently no one really walks in to a Skoda showroom asking for a Superb. But if they see a high profile customer for an Octavia, they just push him into paying a million more and going for the bigger brother.

GTO
Old 17th June 2005, 15:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Because they both look so similar that no one really knows that it is a Different car.i think in India the market for skoda ends at 15-18Lacs,same for Honda,Toyota.......Above 20Lacs it is Merc,Audi,BMW territory,i:e if u leave aside the Landcruisers and Prados.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 17th June 2005 at 15:58.
Old 17th June 2005, 18:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

Mindset of Indians:

one can always buy a poor quality , high prestige car :"MERCEDES BENZ".

but not a high quality, lower prestige car: "SKODA"!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks