Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2010, 13:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

What I can't understand is why VW doesn't have the 1.8 in the Jetta? Nobody buys the Jetta petrol because of the ancient engine. Heck, the petrol Jetta doesn't even come in Comfortline trim. That's almost like admitting defeat. Its about time VW threw in the new engine upped the trim levels and sold it around a lakh or two cheaper than the diesel.
Old 8th January 2010, 16:41   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Viddy
The Passat has issues. The Jetta case is only one off and it is so badly written that one cannot understand whether it is a manufacturing fault or misuse
mmm. But if a costlier VW has issues, its quite likely for Jetta too to have them. I guess one possible difference VW could make against Skoda is, taking necessary precautions like better quality control, better testing, indianizing the engines. "German engineering" alone cant help them survive. In other words, its time they understand what build quality actually means.
Old 8th January 2010, 17:26   #18
BHPian

what they are expected to do is this.

-introduce the 1.6 Jetta petrol engine in Polo and Fabia as a variant
- and put the 1.8 TSI in the Jetta, along with the 2.0 TDI CR as standard in Diesel

this would give them economies of scale for the diesel 2 TDI CR as well as the 1.6 petrol engine yet to be seen on roads :-)
Old 8th January 2010, 19:30   #19
Team-BHP Support

The mk V Jetta does not come with the 1.8 Tsi globally. considering volumes in India, it is not worth the effort of engineerng. Maybe we get the mk VI version with it
Old 9th January 2010, 12:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Well, facelifted laura looks like a fusion of last gen octy and the new superb (from front) while jetta looks like a mini-passat. Yes, it does looks bland from some angles but the car looks larger and costlier than it is. And I for one shall have mini-passat over the laura. Anyways looks are subjective.
Regards.
Agree - to me, the old Laura looks better than the new one - better stance, better wheels, better headlamps, better grill!
The Jetta manages to look solidly classy, better than the current Laura!
Old 9th January 2010, 23:35   #21
BHPian

Agree that the new Laura looks worse than the old Laura. The flared headlamps make the car look slightly Japanese/Korean, which does not gel with the bulk of the car.

Its really enough nonsense from VW and Skoda. The Jetta and the Laura should both have the 1.8TSI with DSG. And instead of plonking a tweaked version of the hugely unpopular 1.6 petrol from the Jetta into the Polo, that too should get a TSI engine.
Old 10th January 2010, 16:34   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
What I can't understand is why VW doesn't have the 1.8 in the Jetta? Nobody buys the Jetta petrol because of the ancient engine. Heck, the petrol Jetta doesn't even come in Comfortline trim. That's almost like admitting defeat. Its about time VW threw in the new engine upped the trim levels and sold it around a lakh or two cheaper than the diesel.
you stole the exact words from my mouth!

and why are they putting the 1.6 petrol in the polo. TSI technology works in india. its not the fuel issue. i think its the issue of who will buy it! (105hp powered hatch.) economies of scales plays spoil sport always!

Last edited by Caramelo : 10th January 2010 at 16:39.
Old 10th January 2010, 20:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Economies of scale doesn't seem to be hurting Skoda. Besides, if VW buys those engines, its actually more economy of scale since more 1.8 TSIs are being produced. Similarly, the Superb should be getting the diesel from the Passat. There's something here that isn't public knowledge which is why we can't figure out why VW and Skoda are doing this.
Old 10th January 2010, 20:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Economies of scale doesn't seem to be hurting Skoda. Besides, if VW buys those engines, its actually more economy of scale since more 1.8 TSIs are being produced. Similarly, the Superb should be getting the diesel from the Passat. There's something here that isn't public knowledge which is why we can't figure out why VW and Skoda are doing this.

yeah thats what i thought. the more the merrier principle is applied here but apparently, its not!.okay so you make different cars. but share the same platform. then you go on to share the same engines in some models and then give completely different engines to other cars! and its not as if pricing is making any difference! skoda laura TSI (12-13) lacs. vw jetta petrol ( 12-13+ish) lacs. only difference here is that jetta offers 6 airbags and laura does not. but laura has ASR+TCS and jetta does not! and yeah the engine dull 1.6 petrol in jetta ( blahh)

i guess they think petrol heads or "enthusiast" would prefer to drive a laura than a jetta! and jetta is for understated not so flashy car prefering customers. this is the only thing i can think of! otherwise something is fishy!

Last edited by Caramelo : 10th January 2010 at 20:56.
Old 10th January 2010, 20:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
The mk V Jetta does not come with the 1.8 Tsi globally. considering volumes in India, it is not worth the effort of engineerng. Maybe we get the mk VI version with it
But it does come with the 2.5 NA (150 bhp) and the 2.0 TSI (200 bhp). If VW is charging 16 lakhs for the Jetta in India, then the least that they can do is provide same engines which power the $17,000 - $20,000 Jettas in North America.

This selection of underpowerd engines demonstrates that the clinicking that VW would have done would have been with so called "experts" who would have told them that in Indian conditions even 100 bhp is good enough. Show how much disconnected from reality these folks are. These experts in NDTV and CNBC are still ones who would benchmark a Maruti Zen as a sports car.

These foreign automakers should quickly come down to the real world and realize that an Indian buyer of these atrociously highly priced cars more often than not has an idea of what is sold around the world and he should be treated with respect. Any Jetta at 16L is absurd but a stripped down 1.6L manual jetta at 16L is a crime. VW should have priced the GLI with DSG for 16L and worked down from there. The queue in front of their showroom would have streched for miles.

Similarly, the Beetle is a joke. VW has brought the lowest specced version - with 2.0 NA 115 bhp engine and no frills for 20 lakhs. And if they expect this to sell in any quantities then I want what they are smoking. Must be some really good stuff.

Quote:
One more thing. While I dont have an idea of VW engine architecture, I am sure that the 1.8 turbo (used in Jetta IV) and 2.0 turbo (used in Jetta V) share the same arcitecture and mounting points etc. Might have been worth the homologation.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th January 2010 at 21:19. Reason: Back to back posts. Wait for approval so that you can edit original post during New member status, Thanks
Old 11th January 2010, 12:25   #26
BHPian

beetle is the victim of the import duties.

and yeah they put 2.0 ltr TSI and 2.0 ltr diesel (clean diesel tech) units in jetta outside india! jetta is famous and hot selling car in the US. known for its fuel economy, safety and solid long lasting nature.
Old 12th January 2010, 11:37   #27
BHPian

Why a new engine if we can get a new car??

While it might be possible that VW puts the 1.8 TSI into the current Jetta they sell here, I think it is more likely we get the new Jetta sometime towards end of this year/ early next year, with a 1.4 TSi and maybe a 1.8 TSI.

We have seen scooped versions of the NCS (New Compact sedan, aka, Jetta replacement) running around in the USA (source: VW Jetta (2010) the new spy photos | Secret New Cars | Car Magazine Online).

Now, the Detroit show has a new "concept" coupe (NCC!- source: VW New Compact Coupe Concept Unveiled for Detroit Debut) that looks like the Golf coupe speculated about earlier (source: AutoScoops - View topic - VW Golf CC)

If you look at the metal and the taillights of the spy pics, I think we are looking at next year's Jetta. Looks more grown-up, definitely.
A poor man's Audi, and looks it this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Please put 1.8 TSI in VW Jetta!!-11.jpg_770.jpg  

Please put 1.8 TSI in VW Jetta!!-13.jpg_770.jpg  

Last edited by crackingride : 12th January 2010 at 11:43.
Old 12th January 2010, 12:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

Certainly a more cohesive design than the "Golf with a boot" look. Nice one VW!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks