Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 14:47   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Externally! Internal space is in SX4 category!

Spare a thought, externally the vehicle looks big but internally it does not have the space. So where is the space getting used up.
Old 20th March 2009, 14:48   #32
BHPian

Well that's the nice thing.

But because of the increased price & compromised FE, the common man will definitely prefer 1.3 MJD only.
Old 20th March 2009, 15:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Externally! Internal space is in SX4 category!
@aseem, I was just referring to how it is categorised for sales figures by SIAM or whoever it is that does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker
Go ahead and do it dude, while you still can. It will be gone in a few months.
Been thinking for sometime. But for that my Dad needs to sell of his Swift, but don't think he will agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter
Does it mean this 1.6 engine is better than that or they are getting and older technology engine just because it is more powerful?
This is also MJD just a higher displacement engine with more power, torque etc. They also have a 1.9MJD and maybe other configurations also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap
But because of the increased price & compromised FE, the common man will definitely prefer 1.3 MJD only.
And the sales figures depend on the common man, not on us tbhp-ians. We will spare no effort in bashing manufacturers asking for more cc, turbo this, supercharge that, ABS, airbags etc, but finally what 90% or more buyers want is FE, VFM, low price etc.
Old 20th March 2009, 15:03   #34
BHPian

More than a new engine Linea needs better plastics if it has to stay in the race a bigger engine is not necessarily a better car .
Old 20th March 2009, 15:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

This indeed is good news, even if they bring the FGT 105 bhp version. The torque, if I remember right, is about 29 kgm even for that. So, it definitely will be good.

In my opinion, Fiat will bring the FGT version so that they can price it about 50k more than the present Linea versions.
Old 20th March 2009, 21:22   #36
Senior - BHPian

I had written to FIAT CEO corner last month asking about Grande Punto, but for some reason those guys interpreted my question as Linea specific, and this was the response on March 16th.

my question:
Quote:
Hello Rajeev,
First of all congratulations for bringing out Linea. I am interested in knowing when Grande Punto will be launched, and what kind of engines will it have during the launch. I hope you have plans for launching a Sport variant with 1.4 t-jet or 1.6 multijet.
Thanks
SilentEngine
response:
Quote:
Dear SilentEngine,

We do have plans to launch the Sports Version in Linea and that would be obviously with a high powered engine, another technical prowess of FIAT. But these are plans and we have not put a definitive date to this plan.

Regards,
Rajeev Kapoor
Old 20th March 2009, 21:26   #37
BHPian

I'm guessing that FIAT will load another 1~1.5 lacs on the pricing of the top end MJD Linea when they launch the 1.6 VGT. At that price it would land into a very competitive zone along with Optra/Skoda and the like. People in the D segment are more brand conscious and would be little difficult to pitch sales unless FIAT completely surprises customers with its after sales service and increases it brand value. Fiat 500 and Bravo are one step towards creating this brand value, probably think tanks at FIAT have a long term brand building strategy in mind.
Old 21st March 2009, 07:09   #38
BHPian

1.3MJD is old tech compared to the recetly released 1.6MJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
I have read in multiple posts in this forum and in other places as well, that the MJD was the breakthrough technology and is being praised world over. Does it mean this 1.6 engine is better than that or they are getting and older technology engine just because it is more powerful?
The 1.3MJD and the 1.6MJD come from the same family of engines but the 1.6MJD is the newer version with improved tech and reliability. Its the engine to die for inthe Grande Punto. Read through this link.

Fiat Bravo: All the strengths of the new 1.6 Multijet 16v engine - Auto news
Old 22nd March 2009, 13:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

Interestingly, Suzuki has license rights to 1.6 too, apart from 1.9 and 1.3. It's meant to be produced at Manesar.

More here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post369651

Last edited by directinjection : 22nd March 2009 at 13:13.
Old 23rd March 2009, 10:34   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If the Linea's competitive pricing is anything to go by, Fiat will apply a reasonable premium to the 1.6 multi-jet, and not go overboard. Dead sure of that. Fantastic move and a step in the right direction. The Linea finally gets the power that its brilliant chassis deserves.

They sure are pressing all the right buttons. Apparently, strong after-sales support is the new focus. Also saw an ad attesting to superior service standards this morning in the TOI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghavv View Post
The new 1.6 Litre, 4 Cylinder 16 valve engine is a very high tech unit and comes in two varities, a turbocharged 105 bhp unit and a 120 bhp with VGT and more than 300 nm of torque!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
bah what 1.6 .... launch the 1.9
Spoken like a true dieselhead
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

Wish this had taken palce little earlier or may be, I should have waited for little longer before going ahead with ANHC. When I was about buy a car in this segment, Linea did not even come under consideration after I read about the engine options. Very good move by Fiat anyway.
Old 23rd March 2009, 18:36   #42
Senior - BHPian

Pricing was never an issue with Fiat cars, IMO. The Linea 1.6 should be priced at a reasonable premium over the 1.3 MJD. Even the spares are priced quite well.

Interestingly, Linea petrol sales are quite good, as confirmed by the sales people at Rama Motors when we had our PUG meet there. They expected the diesel to outsell the Petrol by far, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe it's the sticker price of Petrol that makes it attractive.

If the 1.6 MJD gives the performance that the chassis is capable of, then I need to look at an upgrade!.
Old 23rd March 2009, 18:58   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
bah what 1.6 .... launch the 1.9
Quote:
Compared to the well-known and very popular 1.9 Multijet 120 bhp, the 1.6 Multijet series represents an important step forward. There are improvements in terms of performance, comfort, emissions and running costs, and there are also considerable advantages: with the same power, torque is improved by almost 25% (1500 rpm) and consumption is reduced by 8% (measured on the NEDC cycle). The car is also noticeably more pleasurable to drive, mainly thanks to the torque available at low revs. These objectives have been achieved mainly thanks to the optimised combustion which exploits the potential of the new injectors to the full.

Another factor in the improved performance is the multi-injection system, with 1600 bar in the 1.6 Multijet (in both power versions). The injection adapts to the engine speed, thus optimising performance in terms of perceived power and driveability.

Power and torque at the top of its class

The 1.6 Multijet has outstanding torque output in absolute terms, all the more surprising if we consider the cylinder capacity: the torque of 290 Nm in the 1.6 105 bhp (no less than 300 Nm in the 1.6 120 bhp) makes this engine the top performer among engines with a cylinder capacity of 1.8 litres or less. If we consider the specific torque (divided by cylinder capacity), the 1.6 is the highest-performing engine in the category up to 200 bhp, with the sole exception of “super-sports” engines.
i don't think we need the 1.9 like the link says the 1.6 is set to replace the 1.9 across all models in the fiat lineup.its better than the 1.9 in almost all aspects!

Old 23rd March 2009, 19:44   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amulu10 View Post
i don't think we need the 1.9 like the link says the 1.6 is set to replace the 1.9 across all models in the fiat lineup.its better than the 1.9 in almost all aspects!

yes the info is right, Fiat is all set to aim for the least polluting cars in Europe(It already is) and will be replacing all its 1.9 versions with 1.6.
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:24   #45
BHPian

^^ nope!!! not all. 1.6 VGT will replace only the lower tune or 120 bhp 1.9L. The higher tune (150 bhp) 1.9 will be updated with particulate filter ethyadi to meet EURO-5.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed