Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2008, 13:16   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Hi Buddy,
where in electronics city and at what time. The reason why I ask is so that others can also be a bit cautious..
Cheers
Shrey
He works in SIEMENS and hence it should be on the connecting road between hosur rd and Siemens entrance gate.
Old 15th December 2008, 18:11   #107
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread. As Road tax is a state matter, all states have their own rates of taxes. but by and large RTO rules are the same. Im quoting from my RC book MH registered. "IF YOU CHANGE YOUR ADDRESS, YOU HAVE TO INTIMATE THIS ADDRESS TO THE RTA WITHIN 30 DAYS. BUT THIS WILL NOT APPLY IF THIS CHANGE IS OF A TEMPORARY NATURE NOT EXCEEDING SIX MONTHS"
Imagine the plight of Defence personnel and others in such transferable jobs who get transfered every 2-3 years.
ssjr0498 - the RTO chaps are always at OMR BDA complex junction. ESP during non rush hours.
Can someone tell me If one changes your state of residence, say with a 8 year old car. what amount of tax does one have to pay? for 15-8=7 years. or for the full period of 15 years?
Old 15th December 2008, 18:14   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
He works in SIEMENS and hence it should be on the connecting road between hosur rd and Siemens entrance gate.
there are 2 Siemens offices in Electronics city

route:
1) Hosur Road - Electronics City Main Gate-NTTF-Infy-Siemens
2) Hosur Road - Phase 1 Connecting Road - HP -Timken - Salarpuria(Siemens)
Old 15th December 2008, 19:58   #109
Senior - BHPian

Here is the law, as I understand it.

Quote:
2) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1)
[or section 4], taxes at the rates specified in Part B of the Schedule shall be levied on motor vehicles [suitable for use on roads, which are in the State] for periods shorter than a quarter, but not exceeding thirty days.
From:- http://www.karnataka.gov.in/dpal/pdf...%20(Final).pdf

The actual text begins at page 18 of the pdf file. The above quote is from page 22 of the pdf.

Part B of the Schedule to the Act can be found here:-

KARNATAKA MOTOR VEHICLES TAXATION ACT - 1957

Now scroll down to part B, and look for item 16 (1). Strangely, I do not find item 16(2), Here is what it says:-
Quote:
[COLOR=black]16(1). Motorcars including imported cars whether owned[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] by companies or not, campers van not used for [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] hire or reward and motor vehicles other than [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] those liable to tax under the foregoing [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] provisions of this schedule, in weight unladen:-[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black] (a) For every 1000 Kgs or part thereof 75-00 200-00[/COLOR]
Means, for the pleasure of driving in Karnataka for a period of less than 7 days, a car weighting less than 1000 Kg should pay Indian Rupees 75/-, (and add another 75/- for each part of one tonne - means if the registered weight of your car is 1010 KG, you part with Rs. 150/- ; if it is 2010, you pay 225/-. For Maximum 31 days, the rate is 200/- per 1000/- KG.

Now here is the fun part. The main text of the Act says "...which are in the State] for periods shorter than a quarter, but not exceeding thirty days." I understand this to mean no tax payable for vehicles staying in Karnataka for less than 30 days. But that is not what the schedule, part B says. It prescribes separate taxes for periods up to 7 days, and for maximum for 31 days. No rates for between 31 and one quarter.

Have fun. Feed your lawyers' pockets!!!

I should explain that. You can litigate, but I am sure that the government will impose even more exorbitant taxes the moment this is litigated.
Old 16th December 2008, 09:56   #110
BHPian

I received this email few days ago, looks like there is a coordinated effort by the RTO to tax the other state vehicles plying in KA.

I have also seen an RTO jeep stationed at Electronic city just before HP main gate - just past the turn, when entering from Hosur road

Quote:
This is for people who commute to office in cars taking the Jigni-Bannerghatta route and their car registration is non-Karnataka.

An RTO officer has put up camp near the place where you take a left after Royal Hermitage. (Not the first left which takes you through the small settlement, but the other one which has an Arya Vaidyashala clinic)

They are targeting those vehicles who have a Non-Karnataka registration and have not paid the Karnataka road tax. They ask for all your documents and if they see that you have not paid your taxes, they seize it. They would also give you a receipt and ask you to collect all your original documents after paying the tax at the RTO in Electronic City.

So here are the few things which you can do to prevent your documents from getting seized –
• Go to the RTO in ECity and pay your taxes upfront. The RTO office is near the MICO-Bosch plant at Nanganathpura (Take a right at the first junction on Hosur Road towards the city)
• Avoid this road, take the first left after Royal Hermitage when you commute to office. I see this Officer only in the mornings between 8-10am.
• If you still want to take this route, make sure that you are closely behind a Karnataka registration vehicle and stay to the center of the road, do not venture to the left.

My advice would be to pay your taxes upfront.

Last edited by nemo : 16th December 2008 at 10:02.
Old 16th December 2008, 11:11   #111
BHPian

So from all this do I infer!

Even if I am visiting Karnataka and can prove that I have just been here for a month or so, I will have to pay the full tax.

Guys! Please advice! as all this is very confusing!

Cheers
Shrey
Old 16th December 2008, 11:26   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post

Guys! Please advice! as all this is very confusing!
Put in simple terms:

Welcome to the land of potholes and road tax. Please contribute to the state coffer to help us have more and more potholes on roads and even more bigger and luxurious cars for our ministers.
Old 16th December 2008, 11:35   #113
BHPian

This is really confusing me now. If i travel from Hosur to Bangalore (Electronic City) daily in my TN / AP car should i have to pay KA road tax ? How can i prove that i'm from TN other than Petrol bill. For him he would spot me daily at Electronic city!
Old 16th December 2008, 12:11   #114
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
For people who are trying to unify the country, there are rules in the U.S where you need to change the state plates when you move and some suburbs/localities charge you a extra fee for the sticker you need to put on the car once you move into that locality.
You want everyone else in this country to do their job so that you are secure and now you complain.

Agreed, but the road tax laws in the US are a little different. For all the items that you have mentioned, You pay ANNUALLY - on the 'birthday' of the car. You do not need to pay a so-called life-time tax at one go.

Its up to the lawmakers to realize that people do move within the country; they should provide clear and concise steps for car re-registration. Until the law is straight-forward enough (and affordable enough) for the common man (you, me, and probably this entire forum) to understand and follow, the RTO can keep waiting for my money.
Old 16th December 2008, 12:38   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Until the law is straight-forward enough (and affordable enough) for the common man (you, me, and probably this entire forum) to understand and follow, the RTO can keep waiting for my money.
Unfortunately, they are getting more ruthless in attempting for the kill. Check out some of the recent turn of events which people have posted.
Old 16th December 2008, 13:05   #116
Senior - BHPian

There is a regular check set up outside EGL also, on the IRR, towards Koramangala.

Funny thing is, you go a little further down the road and you will see huge traffic pile up because of people wanting to take a u turn from the left-most lane.
Old 16th December 2008, 15:38   #117
Senior - BHPian

The tax one has to pay at any given age of the vehicle is a percent of the LTT that would have been levied if it were new and the table for this is given in Page 57 of the Karnataka MV act http://www.karnataka.gov.in/dpal/pdf...%20(Final).pdf
Old 16th December 2008, 17:06   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Can someone tell me If one changes your state of residence, say with a 8 year old car. what amount of tax does one have to pay? for 15-8=7 years. or for the full period of 15 years?
There is no 15 year period, it is life time tax. You pay once, never have to pay again in Karnataka. My Jeep is 14 years old, I still paid 15.8K in taxes.
Old 16th December 2008, 17:09   #119
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
This is really confusing me now. If i travel from Hosur to Bangalore (Electronic City) daily in my TN / AP car should i have to pay KA road tax ? How can i prove that i'm from TN other than Petrol bill. For him he would spot me daily at Electronic city!
No tax required, per my understanding. If you have TN-24 registration, you are doing nothing illegal by travelling from your residence to another state everyday.
Old 16th December 2008, 17:59   #120
Senior - BHPian

In Income tax laws government of India has a rule that if you have paid income tax for the said amount in another country, you need not to pay income tax in India. All H1/work permit holders can confirm this.

Then why this double taxation standards for cars between different states. This rule has to be changed and has to go. It simple daytime robbery by Karnataka state government. They call this rule as Central Motor Vechicle Act. Nothing central about this all robbery.

PS: I am driving my car for 3.5 years in Bangalore with other state registration. Now it seems I have to pay tax here in KA.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks