Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2014, 21:37   #1096
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasr79 View Post
, just check at krishnagiri toll plaza and count the number of KA cars vs TN cars. The number of KA cars that pass are much higher and they pass without any problem anywhere in TN. Even during the peak of cauvery problem, KA reg cars can freely pass through even in cauvery delta regions while the reverse was not possible. KA police/RTO should be more liberal. Better they regulate traffic instead of fining people, which they prefer to do the least.
Sir please don't bring in language or regional matters which are sensitive. There is no relation between road tax and why TN vehicles werent allowed to roam free in Karnataka during such sensitive times.

RTO don't control traffic, neither do the traffic police collect road tax. They do their respective jobs to what extent is possible. Yes the road tax in KA is absurdly high and neither do we like it. But that is again a matter in debate from a long time.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 23:29   #1097
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Sorry to contradict you but the reverse is true. Infact TN is losing money as most cars registered in hosur are of KA registration. You can see lot of KA vehicles plying in hosur area (some with number plate written only in kannada...I dont know why they do this even if they drive only inside KA??? will kannada grow by having number plates in kannada alone???not sure...) without any issues. But each time I drive my TN registered car inside bangalore the cops at electronic city want to catch me.
My dear friend, I have traveled on the same stretch even before the present hosur road was being built! The biggest benefactor of the hosur road are people from hosur! Honestly I do not want to get into a tangent of another discussion.

However if every state has got rules and regulations then one ought to follow it. if the rules are unreasonable then there are various channels and forums to address that. I really do not understand when any one decides to relocate and make their home a new state then what is the problem in adhering to the rules.

Be a roman in rome...
Old 8th March 2014, 23:49   #1098
BHPian

Quote:

So you please correct your observation that people register in hosur and drive that in bangalore. Can you justify why KA has so high road taxes when the roads are so bad. I know you'll come back and say that since I haven't paid road taxes in KA, I have no right to comment. But the argument is not that. I'm from chennai and I currently stay in hosur for 2 months and will be back to chennai in another 2 months. So, even by law I need not pay KA taxes. FYI do you know how many cars/bikes in TN are registered in PY. It is much higher than in KA. India is a democratic country and government should provide some basic rights. Leave hosur, just check at krishnagiri toll plaza and count the number of KA cars vs TN cars. The number of KA cars that pass are much higher and they pass without any problem anywhere in TN. Even during the peak of cauvery problem, KA reg cars can freely pass through even in cauvery delta regions while the reverse was not possible. KA police/RTO should be more liberal. Better they regulate traffic instead of fining people, which they prefer to do the least.
There is nothing to correct in my observation. Bangalore had a huge migrant population from across the border. They enjoy the same civic amenities that the rest of the population enjoys, however mediocre it may be. But when it comes to paying road tax they try to save some money by travelling across the border and registering their cars with bogus addresses. This whole affair is illegal, unethical and grossly unfair to the rest of the law abiding population. It must be stopped.
blacksport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 00:42   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
But when it comes to paying road tax they try to save some money by travelling across the border and registering their cars with bogus addresses. This whole affair is illegal, unethical and grossly unfair to the rest of the law abiding population. It must be stopped.
You are contradicting yourself here.

Firstly, you know Bangalore has a huge percentage of floating population, with transferable jobs, both inland and overseas. Given this scenario, it is not right to fine all non KA cars left right and center without any concrete proof.

The law says a white board vehicle can ply in another state for 11 months without any issues. Thing you got to understand here is people do not hop on to the neighboring state, get a fake address, buy cars and drive around KA. It is due to the nature of the job. Yes, there are exceptions, like those PY registered exotics, but the way KA RTO has been working, they are not following any procedure.

Walk into apartment complexes, offices, malls and stick notices on all non KA cars around. This is totally unfair. Say, I work in TN and drive to Bangalore for a month long short term assignment, why the heck should I pay KA road tax? The current scenario is such.

How would you guys feel when you drive to TN/KL/AP for a vacation and the cops/RTO flag you down and give you a notice?

The system should be such that, only cars which do not have any sort of proof to validate that they entered KA before 11 months should be fined.

While at this, let's face it, KA, and specifically Bangalore roads are the worst roads to ply in for a fact.
DRIV3R is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 07:04   #1100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post

Firstly, you know Bangalore has a huge percentage of floating population, with transferable jobs, both inland and overseas. Given this scenario, it is not right to fine all non KA cars left right and center without any concrete proof.

The law says a white board vehicle can ply in another state for 11 months without any issues. Thing you got to understand here is people do not hop on to the neighboring state, get a fake address, buy cars and drive around KA. It is due to the nature of the job. Yes, there are exceptions, like those PY registered exotics, but the way KA RTO has been working, they are not following any procedure.

Walk into apartment complexes, offices, malls and stick notices on all non KA cars around. This is totally unfair. Say, I work in TN and drive to Bangalore for a month long short term assignment, why the heck should I pay KA road tax? The current scenario is such.

How would you guys feel when you drive to TN/KL/AP for a vacation and the cops/RTO flag you down and give you a notice?

The system should be such that, only cars which do not have any sort of proof to validate that they entered KA before 11 months should be fined.

While at this, let's face it, KA, and specifically Bangalore roads are the worst roads to ply in for a fact.
Sir, don't try to buttress your opinion by trying to bring in AP/KL. Just stick to your TN argument.

KL doesn't have a huge floating population. The only time lots of non-KL vehicles enter the state is during the Sabarimalai season. As far as AP is concerned, when I was in Hyderabad with my KA registered Santro, I couldn't drive for more than 3 months without getting flagged down numerous times by the RTO folks. And unlike Bangalore, even the traffic cops in Hyderabad have a free run in asking if AP tax has been paid. I was given a final warning near the HiTech signal saying my car has appeared in the database 3 times and next I would have to pay AP tax or have the car seized. This was certainly less than 11 months. I ended up selling my Santro in Bangalore and buying a new car in Hyderabad. So if you think Bangalore RTO are efficient, you should stay in Hyderabad for a year. They have numerous RTO jeeps posted near crucial signals of the IT corridor. They have a database of out-state vehicles. They don't take the 11 months argument at all.

And yes, follow rules, however illogical they seem.
Old 9th March 2014, 07:47   #1101
BHPian

Think the thread is going the wrong way. I drive a TN car for the last 3 months....it is my Dads. He is using my car in Coimbatore not HOSUR. Within a family don't you have an option of doing this to suit your immediate needs? He needed a diesel car for sometime and I was OK driving a petrol for a few months.

This is not about KA or TN or AP. None of us are holier or bigger crooks than anyone else. In a country like ours we feel we should be able to go freely to all places without paying tax zillion times. Now we know the law and stick by it.....but there is no rule that says we should NOT express displeasure over it!!! Right to protest is ours and writing about it is one such way ☺ peace.
rohing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 08:24   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post

Actually you are mixing up issues here. I agree there are a cases where people move in from other states due to the nature of their jobs. Those are genuine cases and I have only sympathies for them. When I first came to bangalore I came with an outstation bike, and I was many times stopped and asked about the registration.

So lets keep the genuine floating population aside for a moment. There is a huge fake registration scam going on across the border and if we are able to prevent it, then who knows, the RTO would stop being less aggressive in pursuing out station vehicles.
Old 9th March 2014, 11:15   #1103
BHPian

Just broadly categorised the vehicle usage by travellers into 3

1) Vehicle used by a person from a different State & working permanently in another State [3-5 years or more]

2) Vehicle used by a person working for a short term in a state [0-6 months or upto 11 months] and keep moving between states.

3)Vehicle used by a person who occassionally travel to a state as part of a vaccation/business visit or so
[1 day - 1 week - 1 month]

Don't we think it's pretty much unfair for any state RTO to consider all the aforementioned category of vehicles equally and tax all of them alike since no state is self sufficient & people keep travelling across places for various reasons.

Furthermore, think about the situation if all the states in India starts fining non-residing vehicles like how Karnataka does currently.Everyone would feel the pinch of it.

Giving due respect to everyone's views, my humble suggestion to the authotities would be to have a proper taxing/claiming process in place & fine someone if they have a valid proof of existence in state for more than 11 months [as per the law] rather than the RTO's troubling everyone, be it in any state.

Last edited by BIBIN004 : 9th March 2014 at 11:35.
Old 9th March 2014, 11:49   #1104
BHPian

On a side note, wont it be difficult to obtain PUC certificates for non-KA vehicles, every six months? Or, does the KA RTO issue PUC certificates for vehicles belonging to any Indian state?
Old 9th March 2014, 12:10   #1105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
On a side note, wont it be difficult to obtain PUC certificates for non-KA vehicles, every six months? Or, does the KA RTO issue PUC certificates for vehicles belonging to any Indian state?
Any vehicle can obtain a PUC from any state. The RTO does not issue the PUC, it is done by independent private pollution check agencies.
Old 9th March 2014, 16:56   #1106
BHPian

Quote:
Actually you are mixing up issues here. I agree there are a cases where people move in from other states due to the nature of their jobs. Those are genuine cases and I have only sympathies for them. When I first came to bangalore I came with an outstation bike, and I was many times stopped and asked about the registration.

So lets keep the genuine floating population aside for a moment. There is a huge fake registration scam going on across the border and if we are able to prevent it, then who knows, the RTO would stop being less aggressive in pursuing out station vehicles.
Blacksport

The whole issue is that fake registration in PY by the elite is true and nobody questions RTO rights to penalize them.(They are not doing that is another question...). But what I'm saying is that not many cars that drive in bangalore register in hosur to waive off KA taxes. You can see more TN-01 to 21 (chennai cars), TN-37/38(coimbatore cars) in bangalore than TN-70 (hosur cars). That is my point. However in hosur the local register mostly in KA-51 and sometimes even KA-03 and KA-53 (????).

Srini
Old 9th March 2014, 19:22   #1107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a huge fake registration scam going on across the border and if we are able to prevent it, then who knows, the RTO would stop being less aggressive in pursuing out station vehicles.

It is 10% in TN(Hosur) when compared to 13% in KA(Bangalore). So i doubt anyone would go for Hosur registration, when the savings are not that significant.
Old 9th March 2014, 20:25   #1108

If they allow everyone from other states to pay yearly Road tax instead of only allowing for Central Government employees, then I think the true floating population will be happy.
Sounava is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 21:13   #1109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
I own a TN registered santro. PUC test was carried out recently. PUC is issued to any vehicle irrespective of it's registration
Old 9th March 2014, 21:43   #1110
BHPian

Some interesting points about Non KA vehicles plying in BLR.

1> Non KA boards written in Kannada . It's really funny to see a JK / GJ board displayed in Kannada.

2> Many cars with boards half broken in the front, thus only displaying the number.

3> ARMY stickers in bright red on the front and rear windshields of many many Non KA cars. Pray when has Cisco, IBM and the lot started hiring Army folks and forcing them to drive non KA cars in KA?? Now i understand the high demand for DRDO/ADE stickers.

4> Huge metallic emblem (which very closely resembles a regimental logo) on the front registration board.

90% of the Non KA vehicles are here on long stay of 1+ years. Roads are horrible in BLR, no doubt about it. But then, with so many cars evading tax here, what better to expect?
xotiq is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks