Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2014, 11:25   #1081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Why sir. Do they fine KA vehicles in Delhi/NCR/UP ?

We must let go of this "outsider" mentality.
I myself is an outsider here , from West Bengal, been in NCR for 8 years, now in Bangalore for 7 years, the point they don't fine other state vehicles in NCR mostly because the road tax in those states are on lower side. But in KA the tax collection is enforced properly due to high tax component, and when its backed by Karnataka High court order, you or me are no one to judge them, till some one gets a stay from a higher court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
The total number of motorcars registered in Kerala is around 14 lakhs.Do you mean to say more than 14 lakh cars come to kerala for long term stay(more than 1year)? No one is against uniform rate of road tax.I was mentioning about a single Registration number for the whole of India ,to which I had posted my view point.
the reason why no party has taken it up or likely to take it up because it is not an ''aam admi'' issue.Majority of those who get transferred across states are Central govt officers(who have an exemption in case of this) and the well paid professional employees.
I did not mention Kerala in my post neither did I say the more than 14 lakh cars goes to Kerala, this is a national issue and I was talking about vehicle movement across the country. And I still stand by my point that is an aam aadmi issue and disagree with you that majority of the moving population are Govt employees, if you can provide a stat on this I will withdraw my statement. And what do you mean by well paid professionals??? If someone earns due to his/her merit, does that gives Govt a chance to tax him/her out of the way? Why can't govt fix a mechanism in place so that in case of Vehicle transfer RTOs should connect within to transfer the tax prorate basis, and if there is a balance, charge it to the owner, why the poor well paid guy has to run around different RTOs to collect NOC and refund?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th February 2014 at 12:21. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post. Thanks.
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 12:05   #1082
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Why can't govt fix a mechanism in place so that in case of Vehicle transfer RTOs should connect within to transfer the tax prorate basis, and if there is a balance, charge it to the owner, why the poor well paid guy has to run around different RTOs to collect NOC and refund?
+100 to that. If Govt cannot come up with a Single Road Tax regime, the least they can do is to have a seamless movement of Vehicle from one state to another through connectivity of RTO's
soumobakshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 17:10   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
I did not mention Kerala in my post neither did I say the more than 14 lakh cars goes to Kerala, this is a national issue and I was talking about vehicle movement across the country. And I still stand by my point that is an aam aadmi issue and disagree with you that majority of the moving population are Govt employees, if you can provide a stat on this I will withdraw my statement. And what do you mean by well paid professionals??? If someone earns due to his/her merit, does that gives Govt a chance to tax him/her out of the way? Why can't govt fix a mechanism in place so that in case of Vehicle transfer RTOs should connect within to transfer the tax prorate basis, and if there is a balance, charge it to the owner, why the poor well paid guy has to run around different RTOs to collect NOC and refund?
I never ever said that mentioned you said about Kerala.I just quoted Kerala as an example.Most of the RTOS'' are understaffed and the workload is very heavy you cannot ask them to do the NOC part for each and every car coming to their juridisction from some other state.
Old 28th February 2014, 18:11   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Most of the RTOS'' are understaffed and the workload is very heavy you cannot ask them to do the NOC part for each and every car coming to their juridisction from some other state.
Sir that's why we need a systematic change, and it is affecting a huge number of vehicle owners like employees of Pvt companies, IT Guys, Marketing professionals, employees of Pvt banks, Pvt Doctors to list a few. In my short work+student life of 16 years I have relocated through 4 states and have seen people moving states. I only contradict your statement when you say majority of the owners moving into different states are Govt employees.
Old 28th February 2014, 20:20   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir that's why we need a systematic change, and it is affecting a huge number of vehicle owners like employees of Pvt companies, IT Guys, Marketing professionals, employees of Pvt banks, Pvt Doctors to list a few. In my short work+student life of 16 years I have relocated through 4 states and have seen people moving states. I only contradict your statement when you say majority of the owners moving into different states are Govt employees.
Sirji,
I just meant to say that minority or majority Central Government employees (including PSU's,Defence forces)have exemption/relaxations.That can be extended to organised private sector employees also. But the NOC and reregistration part is a must in the present scenario for security, identification,reasons.
Old 5th March 2014, 11:15   #1086
BHPian

Every month the Bangalore RTOs are losing crores of rupees because some people find it cheaper to register their cars 30kms away at Hosur and then drive freely in Bangalore. For a fee, there are agents who could arrange a temporary address in Hosur. The RTO authorities are complicit in the crime and they too can take a fee to illegally register these cars in their RTO.

In fact, the Bangalore RTO authorities are fighting a losing battle against this mafia.

Last edited by blacksport : 5th March 2014 at 11:16.
Old 5th March 2014, 12:18   #1087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Every month the Bangalore RTOs are losing crores of rupees because some people find it cheaper to register their cars 30kms away at Hosur and then drive freely in Bangalore. For a fee, there are agents who could arrange a temporary address in Hosur. The RTO authorities are complicit in the crime and they too can take a fee to illegally register these cars in their RTO.

In fact, the Bangalore RTO authorities are fighting a losing battle against this mafia.
To get the vehicle registered in Pondicherry, the dealer himself plays the role of a mediator. What else is required??
Old 7th March 2014, 16:15   #1088
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry to contradict you but the reverse is true. Infact TN is losing money as most cars registered in hosur are of KA registration. You can see lot of KA vehicles plying in hosur area (some with number plate written only in kannada...I dont know why they do this even if they drive only inside KA??? will kannada grow by having number plates in kannada alone???not sure...) without any issues. But each time I drive my TN registered car inside bangalore the cops at electronic city want to catch me.
Old 7th March 2014, 20:53   #1089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasr79 View Post

Sorry to contradict you but the reverse is true. Infact TN is losing money as most cars registered in hosur are of KA registration. You can see lot of KA vehicles plying in hosur area (some with number plate written only in kannada...I dont know why they do this even if they drive only inside KA??? will kannada grow by having number plates in kannada alone???not sure...) without any issues. But each time I drive my TN registered car inside bangalore the cops at electronic city want to catch me.
Really? They must be real nuts to pay twice as much road tax and then drive in Hosur. Sorry, but that sounds like a sloppy attempt at fiction.
blacksport is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 12:08   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Really? They must be real nuts to pay twice as much road tax and then drive in Hosur. Sorry, but that sounds like a sloppy attempt at fiction.
Many people who buy vehicles in hosur register in KA for two reasons

1. To get away from the ever lasting police/RTO problem
2. Better resale value and easy selling as bangalore is a bigger market

Infact I see the trend changing now but still I can say that atleast 60% of cars running in hosur area has KA registration.
Old 8th March 2014, 12:25   #1091
BHPian

Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 ...

Quote:

Your logic is weird, why would someone pay more tax and drive in TN? Other than taxi drivers, owners wouldn't do what you say.

Spreading Kannada seriously!! let's not make this topic about language. I doubt one can spread Kannada by having their number plates written in a native language. Those number plates are illegal and you can report them to the Bangalore traffic page in FB if you want to.

And the resentment that Bangalore cops have towards your vehicle is largely due to inter state politics, we as bangaloreans are sorry for the inconvenience caused.
D'Artagnan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 17:52   #1092
BHPian

Quote:

Infact I see the trend changing now but still I can say that atleast 60% of cars running in hosur area has KA registration.
If you have to use the car in Karnataka regularly, you have to pay Karnataka tax. State governments cannot print money, hence their revenue sources are limited to tax collections. So it is in their best interest to plug any leaks.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 18:18   #1093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Not so unfair when they are paying higher amount of road tax for the same vehicle to get a KA registration. They are paying a considerably higher amount just to avoid the hassles mentioned in your own post. If TN and KA had the same amounts of road tax, then I agree with your points. If KA loses some share of tax due to people registering in Hosur or PY, TN will also lose some tax due to people registering in Karnataka. As simple as that. I dont think next step is to count the number of cars registered in a different state.

Not in specific to KA-TN, but the KA RTO will lose hell a lot of money when a premium car is registered in PY, compared to what it gains when a TN car is registered in KA.
Old 8th March 2014, 19:14   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
If you have to use the car in Karnataka regularly, you have to pay Karnataka tax. State governments cannot print money, hence their revenue sources are limited to tax collections. So it is in their best interest to plug any leaks.
So you please correct your observation that people register in hosur and drive that in bangalore. Can you justify why KA has so high road taxes when the roads are so bad. I know you'll come back and say that since I haven't paid road taxes in KA, I have no right to comment. But the argument is not that. I'm from chennai and I currently stay in hosur for 2 months and will be back to chennai in another 2 months. So, even by law I need not pay KA taxes. FYI do you know how many cars/bikes in TN are registered in PY. It is much higher than in KA. India is a democratic country and government should provide some basic rights. Leave hosur, just check at krishnagiri toll plaza and count the number of KA cars vs TN cars. The number of KA cars that pass are much higher and they pass without any problem anywhere in TN. Even during the peak of cauvery problem, KA reg cars can freely pass through even in cauvery delta regions while the reverse was not possible. KA police/RTO should be more liberal. Better they regulate traffic instead of fining people, which they prefer to do the least.
Old 8th March 2014, 19:16   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Not so unfair when they are paying higher amount of road tax for the same vehicle to get a KA registration. They are paying a considerably higher amount just to avoid the hassles mentioned in your own post. If TN and KA had the same amounts of road tax, then I agree with your points. If KA loses some share of tax due to people registering in Hosur or PY, TN will also lose some tax due to people registering in Karnataka. As simple as that. I dont think next step is to count the number of cars registered in a different state.

Not in specific to KA-TN, but the KA RTO will lose hell a lot of money when a premium car is registered in PY, compared to what it gains when a TN car is registered in KA.
But I think they prefer to catch the non-premium TN/other state registered cars instead of catching the premium PY registered cars. That's the irony.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks