Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2014, 21:36   #1051
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
I have another question here. The tax slabs 12 years ago would have been very different from now. Do they they calculate tax on the current slabs or the prevalent slabs based on the car purchase date?..
Quote:
...Additionally, the Ex-showroom price of the car also changes with time. How do they counter that factor while calculating the tax?...
Based on the ex showroom price of the car at the time of purchase.

Quote:
...What if the car model is currently not under production, e.g Esteem, Zen, how would the tax be calculated in such cases?
You need to either produce the original invoice of the car or get a declaration from the dealer on the price at which you bought the car. This has been discussed in the very same thread, in the last couple of pages.
Old 24th February 2014, 21:37   #1052
Team-BHP Support

So what's the deal? Any other state car coming out of an apartment complex is fined? Or do they still check if the car has papers proving it's not a long term stay in Karnataka? A valid other state PUC, for instance.
Old 25th February 2014, 02:33   #1053

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Welcome to the world of ridiculous rules & taxes!

If you are a central government employee, you can pay taxes for 1 year in Bangalore. Otherwise, you will need to pay taxes for 15 years; in your case there will be depreciation. The actual rates and formula by which the taxes are calculated for transfers are provided in one of the previous (recent) pages.
Thanks a lot this clears the confusion regarding the 1yr vs 15yr tax. The rule about central govt vs pvt is ridiculous :(

Quote:
I also suggest that you try to buy a small pre-owned car for that price (89K - you might some decent Zen / Esteem / 800s) for a 2 year usage (if that's OK with you). When you go back, you can sell this car or even take the car to WB.
That is a good advice abbout buying another car, but I am 6ft and find it extremely uncomfortable to sit in small cars :'(

Quote:
11 months? I thought it's 3 or 6 months. Again paying taxes for just one year is possible ONLY if you are a central government employee. Other wise no one has an option of anything less than 15 years tax.
So is this 11 months or 3 or 6 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Hope this helps
Thanks Suresh for the calculation page. This helped a lot. :mrgreen:

Quote:
Based on the attached sheet, I guess taxes should be to the tune of ~40K. Am I missing something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0and1 View Post
The amount looks correct by calculation to me.

17% of 11.5 L = 195500

Since it is 12 years old, 41% of the same would be 80155 plus 11% Cess would take it to 89000.

Can someone point to a official ruling where we can use outstation vehicles for 11 months without paying Road Tax?

Also what are the criteria to determine if the stay of the vehicle has been more than 11 months or not, one can genuinely visit their home state and come back, technically resetting the counter of 11 months to start from 0.

This tax scheme is so flawed!! Is there any clarity as to when the uniform road tax is coming?
Yes the calculation is leading to 89k sadly.

Can anyone tell me whether the tax is on the ex showroom price or the on road price? The ex showroom is around 9.6L, in that case I think the tax comes to -
960000 * 0.14 * 0.41 * 1.11 = 61k
If I pay after June then the age of the car will cross 12yrs and the tax will be
960000 * 0.14 * 0.37 * 1.11 = 55k --> Much more manageable!
Old 25th February 2014, 09:50   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounava View Post
Can anyone tell me whether the tax is on the ex showroom price or the on road price?
Tax is calculated on the ex-showroom price of the car. If they calculate it on the on-road price, it'll lead to double taxation, which is not the case.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 10:09   #1055
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...That is a good advice abbout buying another car, but I am 6ft and find it extremely uncomfortable to sit in small cars :'( ...
Esteem would NOT be that small for you I guess? Else used Palio (1.6) would be a great car, but you will need to find a really good piece.

Quote:
... So is this 11 months or 3 or 6 months? ...
Even if 11 months, they are NOT going to let you go if they catch you. If they get to know that you work in Bangy, they will seize your car. It's NOT a risk worth your time. Since you are going to be in Bangy for 2 years, I suggest you do the right things to save time and have peace.

Off-Topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Aiel, I live in Purva Panorama...
I was staying very close to you guys then, 2 years back! Missed a chance to catch up I guess.
Old 25th February 2014, 10:16   #1056

Quote:
Esteem would NOT be that small for you I guess? Else used Palio (1.6) would be a great car, but you will need to find a really good piece.

Even if 11 months, they are NOT going to let you go if they catch you. If they get to know that you work in Bangy, they will seize your car. It's NOT a risk worth your time. Since you are going to be in Bangy for 2 years, I suggest you do the right things to save time and have peace.
Lets see, will go to RTO again.. If it is 55k I will pay the tax. If not I will re think.
Old 25th February 2014, 10:24   #1057
BHPian

Quote:

Yes the calculation is leading to 89k sadly.

Can anyone tell me whether the tax is on the ex showroom price or the on road price? The ex showroom is around 9.6L, in that case I think the tax comes to -
960000 * 0.14 * 0.41 * 1.11 = 61k
If I pay after June then the age of the car will cross 12yrs and the tax will be
960000 * 0.14 * 0.37 * 1.11 = 55k --> Much more manageable!
Nope, you are a bit offcourse here. We should take LTT percentages of the year of sale and not from the current year. It is grossly wrong to take today's LTT percentage for such an old car since the LTT rates were very different then from today's exorbitant ones.

Pls refer to Page 60 of the document located at URL - http://dpal.kar.nic.in/35%20of%201957%20(E).pdf

I am assuming this document to be dated somewhere in 2004 (based on the last amendment date mentioned somewhere in the same document).

As per this document, The LTT for your car in 2004 was 10% of the Ex-showroom value ~ 96000

Before June, your tax liability would be 41% of the above ~ 39360.

After June, your tax liability would be 37% of the above ~ 35520

Add some more extra charges to the above amount.

Additionally, pls also add charges incurred to bring your car to Bangalore and taking it back after 2 years. Pls add all direct and indirect expenses, arrive on a final figure and then decide whether it really makes any sense to bring your car along to bangalore.

If there is anyone in WB to take care of your car, I would suggest to keep it there, buy a second hand car in Bangalore, use it for 2 years and then sell it before leaving. This way, you save your City and probably will save on some good amount.

My 2 cents of advice based on various inputs gathered from sources. Off course, leaving this open to experts for their inputs.
shantanumishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 11:15   #1058

Wow thanks a lot for this info. If it is 10% then it is good
Will have to take a printout of this document to RTO if they try to levy 14%
Old 25th February 2014, 11:44   #1059
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
H
I am planning to shift my 2002 OHC VTEC from WB to Bangalore.

I also went to the Koramangla RTO and spoke with an auditor, I told him the situation and said the invoice value is 11.5L (in 2002), he calculated and said I need to pay around 89k tax

I don't want to drive without paying road tax but 89k, seriously?

Also, is it true I can drive 11 months without paying road tax?

Thanks in advance
I had a 2002 Vtec from new, I paid around Rs 9.5 L for it. Tax is based on ex showroom value.

You would need to pay 20% (may be less since your car is less than 10 L) X (deprciated value of car, the minimum of which is 30%) so maximum you need to pay is 6%.

When I brought my MH Skoda into Karnataka, they tried to make me pay the equivalent of a new car in tax. You need to dig your heels in. Chances are they are looking for a backhander to reduce the assessed rate
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 16:23   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Well do we have a link to the judgement which talks about this 11 months rule?

Atleast for folks who are not deciding to pay up immediately, or waiting for a car to launch in the market and using an outstation vehicle in the interim can have a legitimate document in their hand when questioned, Along with all toll reciepts, PUC, Insurance or Courier Document if it is shipped.
Old 26th February 2014, 10:06   #1061
BHPian

Heard there is a massive traffic jam on Bannerghatta road due to the RTO checks happening in front of Fortis Hospital at 8AM onwards, blocking non KA vehicles on both sides of the road.
Old 26th February 2014, 22:44   #1062
Senior - BHPian

Saw a white pajero sport on Hosur road flashing some MLA/MLC of VidhanSoudha embossed on a shiny steel plate.
Running on PY plates! Now who are supposed to catch them!
Old 26th February 2014, 23:29   #1063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Saw a white pajero sport on Hosur road flashing some MLA/MLC of VidhanSoudha embossed on a shiny steel plate.
Running on PY plates! Now who are supposed to catch them!
If I was caught by the RTO and made to cough up the tax, I would show them the picture of such a car and openly told them that they never had the b**** to touch such bigshots. When I am paying a huge sum of money, I bet I can give put them at the receiving end for sometime. Actually the Traffic Police seem to show more guts since I have seen govt. cars being pulled over in multiple instances. Really feel sad for those of you who are staying here for a limited period of time. For those who have permanently relocated, I fully stand by the action taken by RTO. But I have seen many individuals who mived here for a few months being targeted. Thats simply not acceptable. I guess one proper round of bashing these people in kanmada may help avoid some harassment since it has worked for me in some instances
Old 26th February 2014, 23:48   #1064

The rules need to change. 1year tax rule for other state vehicle should be allowed for everyone, not for only central government employees
Old 27th February 2014, 09:30   #1065
BHPian

Yes, the rule should change, but we have to change our mindset too, I have many friends with HR26 or UP16 cars in Bangalore and they are staying here for long time, I feel those must be fined properly..
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed