Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2014, 10:28   #991
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

RTO has caught my i20 - 2009 model (MH 02) near Kadugodi, Bangalore. I was anyways looking forward to paying the tax. However, I seem to have misplaced the original invoice, which they are insisting on, to calculate the tax. Really appreciate any pointers on what I could do?

Last edited by openroad : 4th February 2014 at 10:29.
Old 4th February 2014, 12:02   #992
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

If your car is a post 2005 model, you need not produce an invoice. This information is there in the RTO website. You can talk to the head of the office. The clerks are too lazy to get this.

Regards,
Krishna.
kittigadu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 17:32   #993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by openroad View Post
RTO has caught my i20 - 2009 model (MH 02) near Kadugodi, Bangalore. I was anyways looking forward to paying the tax. However, I seem to have misplaced the original invoice, which they are insisting on, to calculate the tax. Really appreciate any pointers on what I could do?
Cross posting from another thread. Please check whether this works out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3361103
Old 4th February 2014, 17:44   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower View Post
I paid tax for my car yesterday.
Did you go through an agent or did you do this by yourself? Also, have you applied for refund from your home state?
Old 5th February 2014, 16:14   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post

Did you go through an agent or did you do this by yourself? Also, have you applied for refund from your home state?
Did it myself. No agent needed. But need lots of patience and an entire day. Will have to go from one desk to the next for signatures, etc. Make sure you have all documents with you, invoice, rc, DL. Also just as safety, carry proof of entry into KA. Saw some guys being slapped with penalty in case they couldnt produce anything. Toll receipts, PUC from home state should do.

Havent applied for refund yet. Have applied for NOC which needs to be submitted to KA. Once I get KA registration, will apply for refund.
MorePower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 18:43   #996
BHPian

hey guys, need some advice. If i purchase an out of state registration used car and register it in karnataka and pay the karnataka life tax what happens to the original life tax paid by the first owner in his state. can he claim it back or can i claim it after paying the karnataka life tax.
Old 7th February 2014, 17:43   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
Thanks for the info.

So for my 2007 ALTO it comes to about 30K of Tax

Value of Car Rs. 3Lakhs
Tax @ 13% Rs. 39000
Tax after charging Depreciation Rs. 24960
Cess Rs. 2745
Total Payable = Rs. 27705

Can anyone guide on how to apply for Tax Refund from Kolkata RTO?
My tax amount came to Rs. 27,764.00 which is more considering my original invoice price the tax amount should be Rs. 26,522.34 so they charged me Rs. 1241.66 extra. That's still fine though.

My ordeal started once I reached the RTO, Jayanagar. Big boards read "Beware of Touts" - what they actually meant "Pay the bribes directly". No play to park your car. Touts would almost convince you to take their services. Anyways I decided to go and deal directly.

Also you must know Kannada. There is no other language that is spoken inside the RTO even more surprisingly since this is the 1st time I entered a strictly Kannada only zone in Bangalore. None of the officials seem to speak or remotely comprehend any other state languages (namely English or Hindi). And to my horror I have come to pay Other State Vehicle Tax. Duh!!! The thought had crossed my mind to have one of my local colleagues accompany me but I didn't want to trouble anyone. I was cursing myself for this kindness.

The inspector and the driver were pretty kind to me. They issued a notice for tax only and told me that no penalty would be levied for any extra stay. I was really thankful to both and hence I eventually called up the driver of the interceptor vehicle who had shared his number if I needed any help while paying tax.

The driver directed me to another employee within the RTO office who helped me pay the tax (through cash and not DD - surprising) helped me get the tax challan along with my original RC book & DL after close to 2-3 hours of me arriving at the RTO office. His fees for the assistance is Rs. 1,000.00

So I paid Rs. 28,800.00 and walked out of RTO Jayanagar. I was told now I can ply my vehicle in Bangalore without any fear.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The guy at the RTO Counter told me that I will not be able to claim refund of Tax from the state where the car was originally registered unless I plan to migrate the vehicle to Karnataka. I asked how do I do that? He told me I need to get a NOC from West Bengal and then need to do get the car registered in Karnataka. Once Registered and Address change happens I can go back to West Bengal RTO for a refund.

Does anyone have experience of the refund process? Is it worth the effort? I'm actually traveling to Kolkata and now I'm not sure if I should apply for a NOC or not?
Old 7th February 2014, 18:46   #998
Senior - BHPian

One stupid question - if I change my car number to Karnataka, what will be the legal status of my old number? Will it get cancelled?

If I shift back to Kerala ever, can I use my old number, if I did not claim the tax refund? Or, if I want to sell my car in Kerala, can I sell the car with old KL number because it will give me better resale?

--Anoop
Old 7th February 2014, 18:59   #999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
One stupid question - if I change my car number to Karnataka, what will be the legal status of my old number? Will it get cancelled?

If I shift back to Kerala ever, can I use my old number, if I did not claim the tax refund? Or, if I want to sell my car in Kerala, can I sell the car with old KL number because it will give me better resale?

--Anoop
If you get your vehicle re-registered in any other state, the original registration stands cancelled whatsoever. However, you can pay the road tax (annual-in some states or lifetime here) without re-registering the vehicle.

Well, Karnataka registered vehicles command much more resale value in the southern part of India, for sure better than Kerala and that's mostly due to the higher tax here.
jeeva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 16:44   #1000
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
Also you must know Kannada. There is no other language that is spoken inside the RTO even more surprisingly since this is the 1st time I entered a strictly Kannada only zone in Bangalore. None of the officials seem to speak or remotely comprehend any other state languages (namely English or Hindi). And to my horror I have come to pay Other State Vehicle Tax. Duh!!! The thought had crossed my mind to have one of my local colleagues accompany me but I didn't want to trouble anyone. I was cursing myself for this kindness.
Reminds me of my experience when getting the hypothecation cancelled from my car following the completion of the loan. Being a government office, i was prepared for this and got fellow TeamBHPian condor to accompany me when submitting the request. It went without a hitch, if i may say so.

To collect the RC book a week later, i had gone alone, and collected the same without much fuss. This was at the Indranagar RTO where my car was registered.
Old 9th February 2014, 17:26   #1001
Senior - BHPian

What happens exactly the *first* time you are caught with out of state vehicle without road tax receipt? Do they impound the vehicle/RC ? Or is there any challan amount ?
Old 9th February 2014, 17:34   #1002
BHPian

sorry if this question was asked earlier. Does Chennai RTO allows to pay road tax alone without producing NOC from home state.
Old 9th February 2014, 17:59   #1003
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijujj View Post
sorry if this question was asked earlier. Does Chennai RTO allows to pay road tax alone without producing NOC from home state.
I believe no RTO allows to pay road tax without furnishing a NOC from the home state. This is a requirement, atleast on paper.
Old 9th February 2014, 18:38   #1004
BHPian

I have just shifted to Bangalore and brought my DL registered car here. With all the research I did, what I conclude is, if you are staying in Bangalore for more than 12 months, you need to re-register your car or pay the tax. I found the following link that lists the penalties you need to pay for various offenses. The Section 47 and 177 of the Motor Vehicle Act 1988 lists the fine for "Playing a Vehicle with a registration mark of other state for more than 12 months" as 100 for first 300 for subsequent fine. The fines might have gone up but the rule remains the same that is you can use your vehicle for less then 12 month without paying KR tax and if you stay for more than that period, you need to pay the tax. To prove the period of stay, you need to show Toll receipts or Pollution Certificate done in your home state.

http://rto.kar.nic.in/section%20200.pdf

This technically means, no authority can fine you if you prove you are not staying here for more than 12 months.

My 2 cents..

Last edited by vinayrathore : 9th February 2014 at 18:39.
Old 9th February 2014, 20:24   #1005
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
I have just shifted to Bangalore and brought my DL registered car here. With all the research I did, what I conclude is, if you are staying in Bangalore for more than 12 months, you need to re-register your car or pay the tax. I found the following link that lists the penalties you need to pay for various offenses. The Section 47 and 177 of the Motor Vehicle Act 1988 lists the fine for "Playing a Vehicle with a registration mark of other state for more than 12 months" as 100 for first 300 for subsequent fine. The fines might have gone up but the rule remains the same that is you can use your vehicle for less then 12 month without paying KR tax and if you stay for more than that period, you need to pay the tax. To prove the period of stay, you need to show Toll receipts or Pollution Certificate done in your home state. http://rto.kar.nic.in/section%20200.pdf This technically means, no authority can fine you if you prove you are not staying here for more than 12 months. My 2 cents..
Law and it's implementation in KA are very different my friend. Wish you all the best.
abhjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks