Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2013, 23:20   #856
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

So how do they differentiate between cars running in KA without paying tax and cars just passing through? I mean if I am driving from Delhi to someplace south and have to pass KA, do I have to pay that much RT?
Old 18th July 2013, 09:34   #857
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar View Post
So how do they differentiate between cars running in KA without paying tax and cars just passing through? I mean if I am driving from Delhi to someplace south and have to pass KA, do I have to pay that much RT?
If you are a passer by you will have your toll slips to support your case, and if you are driving from Delhi, you get a lot of them on the way, so I don't think you need to worry.
Old 18th July 2013, 11:54   #858

I have a different problem. I brought my old Matiz from Kerala as I had shifted to Karnataka. Got the NOC from Kerala,first applied for change of address in RTO Bangalore. I paid the life time tax again in Karnataka as assessed by them. My life time tax in Kerala was not refunded. That is another story.
Now when I went for change in registration to KA number after 6 months,RTO quoted some audit objections and new rules and stated that ,I had to pay 30000 for registration to Karnataka number.(Registration based on 1999 car value in 2008). Imagine registering a car 12 year old in another state for Rs 30000 registration fee.

The kind hearted RTO official told me they are helpless.He informally advised me to keep running the car with other state registration and show the life tax paid receipt,if stopped by Police. This is happening thrice a month.

Now comes the crunch. The car would need reregistration after 15 years. Which cannot be done as it is not changed to state registration. I cannot take it to Kerala either as I do not have a base there.
In effect the fine running Matiz with just 50k kilometers has to be scrapped to yard.
Can anyone think of a solution?
Old 18th July 2013, 19:05   #859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrin View Post
Imagine registering a car 12 year old in another state for Rs 30000 registration fee.
Are you sure that the registration charge is 30,000? You may need to check this again, may be from a different RTO. Couple of years back I checked for my WagonR @ EC RTO and the registration fees came in the range of 5K rupees. I don't remember the exact amount.
Old 18th July 2013, 19:59   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post

Are you sure that the registration charge is 30,000? You may need to check this again, may be from a different RTO. Couple of years back I checked for my WagonR @ EC RTO and the registration fees came in the range of 5K rupees. I don't remember the exact amount.
The road tax on re-registration is calculated on the depreciated value of the original Invoice value, I doubt it can be as high as 30k!
Old 18th July 2013, 20:12   #861
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post

The road tax on re-registration is calculated on the depreciated value of the original Invoice value, I doubt it can be as high as 30k!
If the car cost Rs 4L when new, you will need to pay Rs 400000 x 0.15 ( assumed LTT as a % of car value) x 0.4 ( depreciated proportion) , am not sure of actual rate but they will load with penalty etc.
Old 18th July 2013, 21:38   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrin View Post
I My life time tax in Kerala was not refunded. That is another story.
Shocked! I had checked with my RTO in Kerala, they had told me they would refund once I provide tax paid documents from Bangalore. What issue are you facing?
Old 18th July 2013, 22:21   #863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a different problem. I brought my old Matiz from Kerala as I had shifted to Karnataka. Got the NOC from Kerala,first applied for change of address in RTO Bangalore. I paid the life time tax again in Karnataka as assessed by them. My life time tax in Kerala was not refunded. That is another story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
If the car cost Rs 4L when new, you will need to pay Rs 400000 x 0.15 ( assumed LTT as a % of car value) x 0.4 ( depreciated proportion) , am not sure of actual rate but they will load with penalty etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
He has already paid the life time road tax in Karnataka. I think now it is only about the registration charge for changing the number from KL to KA. It should be some where in the range of 5K or less only. I don't think this is related to the invoice amount.
Old 25th July 2013, 10:47   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

RTO officials are there opposite to Meenakshi Temple, Bannerghatta road now catching other state vehicles. I saw around 6 Other states cars(TN,KL,MH, GJ, DL) and around 5 two wheelers stopped for checking the documents.
Old 25th July 2013, 11:28   #865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
RTO officials are there opposite to Meenakshi Temple, Bannerghatta
This seems like their favorite place, previously also have read in forum about them checking there. Has anyone noticed checking going on at any other locations ?
Usual location used to be Outer ring road - Sarjapur road junction, Kundanahalli Junction, in front of GTRE on DRDO layout road.
Old 25th July 2013, 13:28   #866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Usual location used to be Outer ring road - Sarjapur road junction, Kundanahalli Junction, in front of GTRE on DRDO layout road.
Kundanahalli Junction I wonder how they can afford to pull vehicles to the side in the heavy traffic!

I believe after the "crack down" was announced, this is the first reporting of a check.
Old 25th July 2013, 18:32   #867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Kundanahalli Junction I wonder how they can afford to pull vehicles to the side in the heavy traffic!

I believe after the "crack down" was announced, this is the first reporting of a check.
Road from Kundanahalli Junction till Marathahalli flyover is comparatively less congested, last year they were having a field day (had seen around 7/8 cars) on couple of occasions.
This year apart from the check mentioned by arun_josie happening near Meenakshi mall have not come across any checks.
Old 25th July 2013, 18:36   #868
Distinguished - BHPian

They were at electronic city phase 1, just before HP, few days ago. It's a regular spot every few months for them.
Old 25th July 2013, 21:13   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Usual location used to be Outer ring road - Sarjapur road junction
I am surprised! Exact location please and what time of day? I have been passing this junction daily and never noticed them.
Old 26th July 2013, 10:23   #870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Exact location please and what time of day? I have been passing this junction daily and never noticed them.
Last year I had seen them here, it was around 10- 10.30 AM
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks