Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2013, 14:53   #826
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
As far as I know both are different things and if a vehicle is in a state other than registered one for more than one year, then only road tax needs to be paid and change of registration is not required. Correct me if I am wrong.
Below is the extract from the RTO website on registration of vehicles from outside Karnataka.

QUESTIONS RELATING TO MIGRATION OF OTHER STATE VEHICLES INTO KARNATAKA STATE:

1. What I have to do when I bring an other state vehicle to Karnataka State ?

How the tax is assessed? Change of address has to be intimated within 30 days before the Jurisdictional Regional Transport office.

If the vehicle is purchased from outside state bearing other state registration mark then Transfer of ownership has to be intimated within 30 days before the Jurisdictional Regional Transport office.

Before using the vehicle in the state of Karnataka you should pay Motor vehicle Tax.

To know about this, The first thing to do is to approach the Jurisdictional RTOs along with the Original Registration Certificate, Insurance and Emission Testing Certificate.

You approach the Help Desk or the Public relation officer, who will guide to the concerned officer/counter.

At the counter you will be guided about the procedure, forms to be filed, tax and fees to be paid.

The tax to be paid will be assessed on the basis of the age and cubic capacity of the vehicle as on the date of migration in respect of cars and motorcycles.

In respect of light motor vehicles, which are registered subsequent to 01/04/2003, the tax will be assessed on the basis of cost and age of the vehicle at the time of registration. So please remember to produce the invoice of the vehicle before the tax assessing officer.

2. Where and how can I pay the motor vehicle tax, in respect of the my other state vehicle ?

You have to fill a form no. kmvt 14 for this purpose and obtain the acceptance of the tax assessing officer and pay it in the cash counter.

If the amount of tax is more than Rs 3000/ - You have to obtain a demand draft in the name of the ‘REGIONAL TRANSPORT OFFICER’ Bangalore (if the place of residence falls under the jurisdiction of Bangalore City ) or the location of the concerned Regional Transport Office.
Old 2nd July 2013, 21:21   #827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Did you get the refund from your earlier RTO?
Hi Arun

In an ideal world, I would have made the effort and got it.

But since it is far from ideal, I did not bother. Yes, this may sound incorrect to many, but I am ok with that.

When I transferred my vehicle, I had to deal with Gurgaon as well as Bangalore RTOs. After going through the trouble of getting an NOC from Gurgaon, I decided not to interact with them ever again!

Moreover, compared to the road tax I paid to KA RTO, what I paid to Gurgaon RTO at the time of purchase of the vehicle was pocket-change (now it is different since the taxes in HR have also gone up).

Cheers
Viju
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 21:32   #828
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Didn't see many non KA vehicles on the road today, Have they started checking for non KA registered cars in Bangalore for life time tax payment in karnataka as mentioned in Times of India?
Old 8th July 2013, 22:26   #829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
Didn't see many non KA vehicles on the road today, Have they started checking for non KA registered cars in Bangalore for life time tax payment in karnataka as mentioned in Times of India?
Yes. Couple of colleagues were reluctant in taking their non KA registered vehicles on the road to office today.
But i also didn't see any cars being stopped for checking on my way to Electronics city. Am wondering how they plan to evaluate the tax for out station vehicles they find.
Old 8th July 2013, 22:34   #830
BHPian

The place where I stay has 90% non ka vehicles....None of them plan to change it to KA. The difference in tax amount is way too high. There is a friend of mine who is planning to get his rexton from maharashtra. Dont when will the govt streamline the process of one tax nationwide.
Old 8th July 2013, 23:29   #831
Senior - BHPian

All,

I couldn't resist the temptation

I do not understand why do KA traffic police create such a bug fuss of this seemingly simple situation. Why don't they just let the other state vehicles ply the roads without sticking their nose in between?

I know many people will feel like this will impact the state revenue. Not because not charging the additional charges to the other state vehicles, but because people will start registering their vehicles in other neighboring states. So what? The solution is to make the registration charges more competitive. In any case, cities like Delhi has a the situation. There is absolutely no fuss over such a topic in Delhi, so why in Bangalore.

I stayed in Bangalore for several years and am proud to not have given an unjustified tax to a bunch of fools!
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 23:41   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
All,

I couldn't resist the temptation

I do not understand why do KA traffic police create such a bug fuss of this seemingly simple situation. Why don't they just let the other state vehicles ply the roads without sticking their nose in between?
The GOVT guys seem to have a mindset that KA is a separate country.
-Get the Visa
-Learn the language
-Pay more
-etc

That's what happens when you have not seen or traveled across your own country and have always lived in your own little bubble all your life. Namma state, namma home town, namma district..bla..they dont think united as a Country. Why dont they just fight for independence!

Last edited by aerohit : 9th July 2013 at 00:01.
aerohit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 05:14   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
-Get the Visa
-Learn the language
-Pay more
-etc
let's not get emotional!

Road tax is a State subject in India, so every state government will do within the legal confines to augment more for their coffers.
News from Indore: http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...ice-rto-indore

Regarding language, yes it is prudent to learn the language of the place where you go: whether it is intra or inter-country migration.

Last edited by ramzsys : 9th July 2013 at 05:16.
ramzsys is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 09:38   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
let's not get emotional!

Road tax is a State subject in India, so every state government will do within the legal confines to augment more for their coffers.
News from Indore: http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...ice-rto-indore

Regarding language, yes it is prudent to learn the language of the place where you go: whether it is intra or inter-country migration.
I think it's really time to look at the basis for road tax being a state subject. Agreed when the laws were being made domicility was a criteria and people rarely used to move between states.Just because its there doesnt mean it has to be right.

Now with frequent travels between different states on account of jobs/education/health issues/marriages i believe its time to have a relook on this aspect of taxation.

Its only the attitude of Goverments( State/Central) to squeeze the last moolah from what ever is under their purview with respect to the citizens that is giving rise to this practice.

Pardon my ignorance, but is there any other country wherein we need to pay similar taxes ( road taxes , statewise)?

Cheers.
Old 9th July 2013, 11:43   #835
BHPian

On the positive side the re-sale value for vehicles registered in KA is much higher than those of other states. So you don't lose out on those taxes entirely.

PS: I rather have high taxes, if it means less number of vehicles and less pollution in my Country.
Old 9th July 2013, 12:36   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
On the positive side the re-sale value for vehicles registered in KA is much higher than those of other states. So you don't lose out on those taxes entirely.

PS: I rather have high taxes, if it means less number of vehicles and less pollution in my Country.
Resale value higher? Yes, definitely.But vehicles and pollution are in no way lower/less.

Are there any specific norms for pollution checks in Karnataka/ Bangalore? Are emission checks mandated at time intervals etc?
Old 9th July 2013, 12:50   #837
Senior - BHPian

Forget Bangalore I feel sad for the people from Coorg. They have to pay huge road tax and no proper roads in their area.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 13:53   #838
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
Resale value higher? Yes, definitely.But vehicles and pollution are in no way lower/less.
I dont think the resale value is higher as such. Just because on road price of vehicle is higher when you sell it later you get a higher price. I guess apart from this there is no much difference in resale for any KA registered vehicle.
Old 9th July 2013, 14:20   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I dont think the resale value is higher as such. Just because on road price of vehicle is higher when you sell it later you get a higher price. I guess apart from this there is no much difference in resale for any KA registered vehicle.
That was the point, the OP mentioned that because of higher on road price ( which is because of higher taxes ) you get a higher selling price.
Old 9th July 2013, 14:33   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I beg to disagree, resale value is high primarily because of the following:

1.) Huge demand for 2nd hand cars, Bangalore IT industry is preferred job location for many engineers who after their initial 1-2 year dream big and aspire to own a four wheeler which fits their budget.

Take a look at this tool on carwale for resale value of vehicles between cities like Bangalore, Chennai.
http://www.carwale.com/used/carvaluation/

2.) In general cars registered along coastal cities like Chennai, Mumbai have been perceived as having less longevity owing to the salt factor & it does reflect in the resale value of cars. On the contrary, Bangalore is not affected by the sale factor.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks