Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2012, 19:40   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
Hi, by the way any-chance he noted down your registration number or something? Just to clear myself that, if they did note of that, then next time we cant say the same excuse.

I have the pollution certificate issued from kerala which is valid till april 2012. The car went to kerala and came back after a month, will this help?
They must be having my registration number as I was challaned for not having PUC certificate.

He was convinced may be because it is a north Indian registered car and I showed him a bunch of toll receipts from North to South.

Last edited by coolclouds : 12th February 2012 at 19:43.
Old 12th February 2012, 19:56   #737
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Guys, here my bad experience.Saturday 10.30 am Mekhri circle, returning from airport.

Car is a friends KL zen. He drove in last wednesday. Had told him to keep all toll receipts, which he did. So it went like this, me beside the driver. Cops pull over. I step out. Cops check insurance: check, DL: check, Emission: check.

Road tax: Sir, came last wednesday and heading back to Kerala on Monday.

Cop: Nothing doing, show me RC book.

RC book pulled out. Cop makes a note and seizes it. Says come to the station after paying Road tax and collect it. Me and friend had enough of this nonsensical harassment.

And this happened wen their fine collections were in full swing.

Cell phone out, calls to JC Nagar Circle inspector. Within 10 Minutes, SI goes to his jeep pulls out the RC book and sends his sentry to us with the RC book in his hand.

My point here is, the cops in bangalore don't give a damn about official rules, rules like if your going to stay for a very short time its ok until you can produce proof explaining your short stay. Out right harassment is their methodology, and you can only wriggle out of the situation if you know another senior COP.
Ford5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 20:58   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Guys, here my bad experience...

...if you know another senior COP.

So did u showed them the toll receipts and all? Then also they were not convinced? Cant we file a petition to the court against this harrasment?

As what I have learned is, any outstation vehicle can be driven for maximum 12 months without paying local road tax. Is it not true?

Note From Team-BHP Support-Team: Please avoid quoting entire posts as it may inconvenience small screen and mobile users. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th February 2012 at 23:56. Reason: See note in post :)
Old 12th February 2012, 22:36   #739
BHPian

Quote:
My point here is, the cops in bangalore don't give a damn about official rules, rules like if your going to stay for a very short time its ok until you can produce proof explaining your short stay. Out right harassment is their methodology, and you can only wriggle out of the situation if you know another senior COP.
And they were cops, and not RTO? This was the usual strategy by the RTOs earlier, but the recent posts suggests that they are not so aggressive now. The cop was trying to make a quick buck in this case.
Old 13th February 2012, 00:02   #740
BHPian

Showed them toll receipts. But it did not convince them because of their high handedness. They were JC nagar traffic cops who hap put their adda where we got stopped. And the best part is, Mekhri circle is not under JC nagar PS
Old 13th February 2012, 00:54   #741
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Showed them toll receipts. But it did not convince them because of their high handedness. They were JC nagar traffic cops who hap put their adda where we got stopped. And the best part is, Mekhri circle is not under JC nagar PS
I am planning to got to Bangalore on a short stay [a week may be] in my KL registration car. Looks like I better have a contact # from some one in-spite of having the toll receipts handy? Any suggestions or pointers please. Anyone having the Bangalore traffic police commissioner's contact number?
Old 13th February 2012, 10:40   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am planning to got to Bangalore on a short stay [a week may be] in my KL registration car. Looks like I better have a contact # from some one in-spite of having the toll receipts handy? Any suggestions or pointers please. Anyone having the Bangalore traffic police commissioner's contact number?

You should not have a problem. Numbers of all officers are available online.
Old 13th February 2012, 11:36   #743
Senior - BHPian

I would say that any strategy of showing toll tickets etc are futile now. The traffic police department is maintaining a record of all no parking fines made or anything of that sort. So even if went out of bangalore, got toll tickets, got insurance done in say TN or KL, if they had a previous record of a no parking ticket etc, then it would be easy for them to trace that you have been in bangalore for quite some time.
Safe to get it registered in KA and no face any hassles later if you plan to be in bangalore for the longer term.
Old 13th February 2012, 11:59   #744
Senior - BHPian

My parents come over often and stay for reasonably long periods of time. They drive a Madras registered car. They are senior citizens and I guess on account of that, they've not been harassed.
Whatever it is, it is absolutely ridiculous to have this differential rate across different states and harassment on account of out of state registrations. This is certainly a sort of parochialism whatever anyone may say. After all this is one country and people will move about between cities and states. These self same people pay their taxes and hence it is stupid on the part of the KA government officials to hassle them.
Why don't they hassle the owners of those big 6 series beemers which have been registered in Pondy but are residents of KA? I saw one large dark blue one this morning. It lives in Koramangala but carries a PY Reg!
Old 13th February 2012, 16:16   #745
BHPian

Guys, have you seen today's TOI? the news is Central Govt is planning for Uniform Road tax throughout the country at 6% of the Sale price. If these becomes reality, we will not have to bother about out of State Reg vehicles or going to a different state with fear. Hope People in Delhi understand our pain at last.

Edit: Link - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/11864671.cms

Last edited by asdon : 13th February 2012 at 16:18.
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 17:32   #746
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Guys, have you seen today's TOI? the news is Central Govt is planning for Uniform Road tax throughout the country at 6% of the Sale price. If these becomes reality, we will not have to bother about out of State Reg vehicles or going to a different state with fear. Hope People in Delhi understand our pain at last.
Am sure some states are going to raise an objection to this because they are going to take a huge hit on the revenues [like Karnataka]. Also there is a clause in the report that the base tax rates will be decided by Central govt with the option of having additional tax by state governments! So how exactly does this make a difference to the existing process?
Old 13th February 2012, 18:07   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Am sure some states are going to raise an objection to this because they are going to take a huge hit on the revenues [like Karnataka]. Also there is a clause in the report that the base tax rates will be decided by Central govt with the option of having additional tax by state governments! So how exactly does this make a difference to the existing process?
I think the exclusion is for luxury segments or vehicles price above a certain range.Thats what the report suggest, yes Karnataka will get the heat but they should, there should be an end to this looting.
Old 14th February 2012, 00:28   #748
BHPian

my wagonR is 2008 model, invoice value 3.75 lac. As per my calculation, from 12% after reduction, I should pay 81%, ie Rs.36000 approx.

As I am helpless, planning to pay this asap to avoid unnecessary head aches... :(
Old 16th February 2012, 08:52   #749
BHPian

How is the situation now?
My friends 2 relatives got caught. One was seized and got 40K as tax.
Old 16th February 2012, 12:09   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Also there is a clause in the report that the base tax rates will be decided by Central govt with the option of having additional tax by state governments! So how exactly does this make a difference to the existing process?
Exactly: this only means that states like Punjab,etc and union territories who are charging only 2% road tax will have to increase the slab to 6%. This is the minimum.

The newspaper column very clearly states that the central govt will pass a bill for a minimum of 6%. The state govt will be free to decide the upper limit. This means folks like us in states like Karnataka and AP have nothing really to cheer about.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks