Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2012, 09:12   #676
Senior - BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

What are the current road tax rates? I feel the showrooms are indicating slightly higher costs? Could we have the percentages/exact calculations? I did go through the RTO site but its confusing rather.

regards,

Nitin
Old 16th January 2012, 10:07   #677
Senior - BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post

3. Tax rates are higher which i dont deny and the same is the case with neighbouring states as well. May be they are 1 or 2 % lower.

On a lighter note you love to live in the city so make some sacrifices
You must be joking, right ? 1 or 2% lower ? Pray which neighbouring state are you talking about ? At the highest slab, I believe the difference is atleast 5%+. I also know for a fact that some of the neighbouring states though to increase their Road tax looking at the sterling leadership of the Karnataka Govt.
Old 16th January 2012, 13:17   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
I think you are getting emotional by making such comments.

1. Roadtax is a common issue in all states not only in Karnataka. and it needs to be addressed seriously. I had to sell my car in Hyderabad just to avoid a huge roadtax for my Panther black Ikon and bought a new one in Bangalore.

2.Coming to infrastructure / traffic I have seen much worse cities I dont want to get a debate on comapring cities.

3. Tax rates are higher which i dont deny and the same is the case with neighbouring states as well. May be they are 1 or 2 % lower.

On a lighter note you love to live in the city so make some sacrifices
Emotions do emit when you end up paying the cost of an Eon as RT for an XUV

Infra may be equally good or bad in other cities/states, but then you accept the fact that, you get what you paid for.

1-2% is not the fact of life. I would have lived with that difference. How do you address a difference of 10-13% ??? I paid 19% as tax on my car, which would have been worse cum worse 10% less in Kerala.

Yes sacrifice is the name of the game, and as we lovingly say in Blore, "Swalpa Adjust Maadi" ( Adjust a little)
mannubhai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 12:35   #679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
RTO officials back at NICE Road Junction on Bannerghatta Road to check other state vehicles for Road Tax. Saw cars with AP and MH plates stopped for verification.
Today saw them opp to Krystal Beryl apartment near shell outlet on Bannerghatta Road around 12:15PM. Around 6 other states vehicles were stopped. Couple of TN, KL and one each of MH and AP.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 15:18   #680
Senior - BHPian

Today I saw RTO guys on SH35 between NH4 junction and Sai baba ashram. They were standing just before the Shell petrol pump on the right, going towards Saibaba Ashram and whitefield.
Flagged me down, but I have paid my dues many moons back :-)
Old 17th January 2012, 15:56   #681
Senior - BHPian

Does that mean that I can pay Road Tax in KA but continue driving with my TN Plates? Must one need to re-register with the RTO and get KA Plates (or any other state plates for that matter?)
Old 17th January 2012, 16:12   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
Does that mean that I can pay Road Tax in KA but continue driving with my TN Plates? Must one need to re-register with the RTO and get KA Plates (or any other state plates for that matter?)
Yes you can. Having done so for many years. You will be pulled "oh so often" now though. Beware of Indiranagar BDA, Koramangala BDA areas. Notorious hotspots for getting caught!!

To change over to KA plates is another big pain in the wrong place process. Being a member of AASI I got it done through them. So it was easier. I think I had posted the entire process somewhere.
csentil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 16:49   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
Going by the rulebook, one is required to get KA number if planning to stay in the state for more than a certain period.

But practically speaking, it should be sufficient to pay the KA road tax and carry the receipt or photo copy with you at all times. Also, keep all documents (RC book/card, insurance, licence and most importantly - valid PUC).

You would definitely be stopped by traffic police, but they won't hassle you if you have the above documents.

If you don't like being stopped by traffic police, just paste a photo copy of the KA road tax receipt on the inside of the front windsheild.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 17:35   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Going by the rulebook, one is required to get KA number if planning to stay in the state for more than a certain period.

But practically speaking, it should be sufficient to pay the KA road tax and carry the receipt or photo copy with you at all times. Also, keep all documents (RC book/card, insurance, licence and most importantly - valid PUC).

You would definitely be stopped by traffic police, but they won't hassle you if you have the above documents.
Rohan
That is correct, sir :-) They don't get a cut from the govt for registration, only for the road tax, so I guess they don't bother.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 17th January 2012 at 17:38.
Old 17th January 2012, 18:50   #685
BHPian

I asked my uncle who is a High Court Advocate in Bangalore if we can challange the Karnataka Road Tax Structure by comparing the same with other states but he told me that its not possible and there is no chances of success since its a state policy and the courts will not interfere with the same.

However I have a strong feeling that the road tax levied by the Karnataka Government is unreasonable and far higher than the other states. If anyone has better legal knowledge one can challege the same and give the car buyers a gift of lower tax.

Off late I have seen a trend wherein the other states with lower tax structure have been increasing the road tax in their states also. So at least if the Karnataka Government reduces the highest bracket to around 12-15 percent and other brackets lower than that it should give us a sigh of relief and bring down the OTR price of vehicles considerabely.

Probably the only excuse the Karnataka Government has in charging higher road tax is that it wants to improve the roads by collecting more tax.

Last edited by patil : 17th January 2012 at 18:52.
Old 17th January 2012, 19:09   #686
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Today I saw RTO guys on SH35 between NH4 junction and Sai baba ashram. They were standing just before the Shell petrol pump on the right, going towards Saibaba Ashram and whitefield.
Flagged me down, but I have paid my dues many moons back :-)
Huge crack down happened today morning half on St John>Sarjapur Rd section. I guess they are back in business for the financial year targets. Saw atleast 10 plus vehicle pulled over on either side of the road when i was passing by at 130 ish pm.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 19:43   #687
BHPian

What about the High Court Judgement that's on Page 36? Does that specifically say that unless the RTO can prove that you have been inside KA for a period of more than 12 months, the LTT cannot be levied?
Old 18th January 2012, 21:49   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Huge crack down happened today morning half on St John>Sarjapur Rd section. I guess they are back in business for the financial year targets. Saw atleast 10 plus vehicle pulled over on either side of the road when i was passing by at 130 ish pm.
I pass by this road everyday around 3-4pm. Didn't notice anything today. Perhaps they met their daily target and left Usually these are end of month woes!

Were these cars or bikes that you saw pulled over? I've never seen multiple cars pulled over.
Old 18th January 2012, 22:39   #689
BHPian

From my experience with the Bangalore traffic cops with the "outsider" plates - they will not bother you as long as you have reasonable evidence (or can convince them) about you not being a permanent resident.

From what I have noticed , having all your documents including your PUC and insurance certificate and driving license from your home state are good enough. (this I believe is proof enough because the PUC is valid for 6 months and the insurance for a year - so that is decent proof for you to say that you are just "visiting")

IF its too difficult for you to get back to your home state and make a re-entry then well its in your best interest to bite the bullet and pay up the taxes or choose to live elsewhere - its the most correct thing to do too anyway!

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 18th January 2012 at 22:41.
Old 18th January 2012, 22:45   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
From my experience with the Bangalore traffic cops with the "outsider" plates - they will not bother you as long as you have reasonable evidence (or can convince them) about you not being a permanent resident.
Agree, the cops are easier to convince. But RTO is a different story. They do their background work. The have watchful agents all around. They even visit the company parking lots to take stock.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks