Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2011, 22:01   #601
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Hey no need to close the thread as its a big headache and still not solved completely. The tax in Karnataka is quite higher than all the other states and I think its the highest in India with possibly the worst roads.

However I got read in Samyukta Karnataka Kannada Daily couple of days ago that something concerning to taxing of other state vehicles was amended in the assembly. The report was quite vague as is my post and did not reveal any details. If anyone has any idea about it please post the details.
Old 16th December 2011, 22:17   #602
Senior - BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

I think the best solution would be to allow paying annual road tax service to outstation vehicles. People can have option of either paying life time or paying it annually. And I dont think re-regn is an absolute requirement here. All RTO people look for is whether road tax is paid or not. So why not allow people to pay it annually lets say at about 1% of the cost of vehicle. They can setup a site so that people can pay it online. And they can send the receipts or people can also print them themselves. Easy peasy, and no problems to nyone!
Old 17th December 2011, 03:41   #603
BHPian

In Karnataka, only the Bangalore RTO is very particular and do random checks. In Belgaum, a sizable percentage of private vehicles run on MH-12 plates and no one seems to mind. Heights of irony: Fire trucks are also MH-12 registered in Belgaum! I saw one parked on Congress Road. Not sure if only one or all are MH-12 registered.

Even a few BCC vehicles are MH registered!

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 17th December 2011, 07:49   #604
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
. Earlier, one coulod use Bangalore One services to pay the road tax, which doesn't seem to be the case now.
Not possible for to pay even if the system was working as the depreciated road tax needs to be worked out base on the Invoice and Model of the car. One of the reason it is not working for new cars is may be due to the system not being robust enough to update the frequent price changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I did three successful transfer of my vehicles to Bangalore. Infact in Bangalore I saw that, if you approach them with full documents then no way they deny you any service.
Thanks for your detailed note, people reading it need not look any further. It is very clear that you need to get your house in order before you complain. So it is our responsibility to get all the documents in proper order and submit the same for a trouble free experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
about Southern India dont know much).

I would be first in line for re-reg of my out of state car here in Bangalore, only if the govt can guarantee me that there will be no harassment and none of these additional charges involved.
You get your house in order first. Read Anujmishra post #597, detailing the procedure. If you follow it you will have no harrassment. I have personally experienced it.

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 17th December 2011 at 07:50.
Old 17th December 2011, 08:01   #605
Senior - BHPian

I would still say that vehicles which were bought and registered anywhere in India should be allowed free movement and migration across the country.
After all, we are supposed to be one nation!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th December 2011 at 08:02.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 08:34   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
people reading it need not look any further. It is very clear that you need to get your house in order before you complain. So it is our responsibility to get all the documents in proper order and submit the same for a trouble free experience
Absolutely. Most of the complains comes when one has to arrange all proper documents. This is the basic homework one has to do.
Understanding procedure is our responsibility. I have not paid a single rupee as bribe and nobody asked about it in Bangalore RTO. Even Motor Vehicle Inspector was very helpful and cheerful when you approach them in right attitude. Never show any bad attitude.

When I sold my car, I told buyer to go and transfer registration yourself. Initially, he was very scared about RTO and he was ready to pay 1500+ to agent to do this work. I counseled him and said there is nothing scary as you think, just arrange all proper documents and approach RTO.

After one month he gave me call that you saved my 1200+ Rupees and changed my mindset about RTO. Now car is successfully transferred to his name without any hassles.
Old 17th December 2011, 09:10   #607
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for your detailed note, people reading it need not look any further. It is very clear that you need to get your house in order before you complain. So it is our responsibility to get all the documents in proper order and submit the same for a trouble free experience
Its not as easy as you make it sound. When i wanted to pay the rosad tax for my bike here in Bangalore from Hyderabad, i had a bit of running around to do. To get the NOC / Police clearance from the Hyderabad police, i was forced to grease palms. I had to spend 2 days running around the RTO in Mehdipatnam (Hyderabad) to get the documents in order. I could afford to spend these days as i had quit my job, and had a few days before i joined my new firm in Bangalore.

My experiences with the Indra Nagar RTO in Bangalore has been documented multiple times across threads on the forum.

In short, all i want to say is that for interstate transfers/road tax payment, its not all that easy.
Old 17th December 2011, 11:41   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You get your house in order first. Read Anujmishra post #597, detailing the procedure. If you follow it you will have no harrassment. I have personally experienced it.

Cheers

KPS
What house in order are you talking about???? So are you saying there is no corruption in India if people follow all the rules!!! This Anna Hazare guy is a fool and all others supporting him in his fight against corruption are fools and we are not a corrupt country???? So having just all the documents is sufficient to get work done in our govt offices???? I have suddenly woken up to a new India today I feel!

For your information, I have sufficient experiences with our various govt offices including RTO here in Bangalore. 10 years back I had applied to get card type DL here with Indiranagar RTO. All docs were given, everything was in order. DL should have been given to me next day but it wasnt (while my friend got his). I asked the agent who had helped us with the DL (Driving school guy, tht was when I re-learnt driving, getting card type DL was part of the deal). He told me that I have to pay bribe to get my DL. thats how my friend also got his. I refused to pay the bribe and had to wait for more than 1.5 months before teh RTO guys got the point and released my card. At that time I could wait for 1.5 months as I didnt have any vehicle so I didnt need the DL so badly. But I doubt I wud wait that long today! Another bad incident with RTO was with Noida RTO when I sold my Karizma. They raised objetion that my sign didnt match! I had to go to RTO and do it in front of them. Later I came to know tht they raised some other objection. Finally the buyer had to pay up to get the registration done in his name! He asked me to refund those 500 rupees!!!

Its not just RTO. I have had sufficient bad experiences with many other offices. Everywhere anybody can raise any stupid objection and your work will be stalled. If one person got his work done doesnt mean everyone will. Maybe he was lucky. Maybe I m being too cynic. But my cynicism has valid reasons.
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 09:03   #609
BHPian

Folks,

The point is very clear - as is with everything else in India - pay someone for the air you breathe and no one will bother you - and that's all part of a separate fight led by Mr.Hazare. I feel this thread is digressing!

For the transfer process - my gripe with the whole thing is that the refund from the older RTO needs to be conveniently forgotten - even the touts told me this much. This is unfair - why is it so difficult for the state governments to work with each other and just collect the difference or refund the difference. If this single change was brought in, the amount involved would be so small (relatively) - most people would just pay up and get on with lives.

Fighting is not part of the deal - most folks have no time or will to fight for such issues - reasons are different - already over-worked, declining prospects for a new job etc etc... just not worth giving it all up.

The government is supposed to make our lives easy and - how hard is this? As long as we have the receipts for the payment of the balance, whether the governments actually transfer or not is left for them to sort out - at least the common man can get on with his/her life.

On this issue - to avoid greasing all these palms, I'd happily pay up for life membership for Automobile Association and let them handle change of address on the RC/license also which I feel is totally worth the price if you don't have the time or interest to learn all our mundane rules.

Like the joker says in "Dark Knight" - it's not about the money, it's about sending a message

Cheers, folks.

PS: Anyone know if our dear friends have finally departed from Bannerghatta road?
Old 20th December 2011, 17:53   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I would still say that vehicles which were bought and registered anywhere in India should be allowed free movement and migration across the country.
After all, we are supposed to be one nation!
For that we should have a common tax structure. Why is Karnataka permitted to tax 19% and Kerala taxes only 6-7 % and Pondy even lesser ??

Are we in Karnataka getting anything more by paying these atrocious taxes ? Are the pot holes any less deeper ? Nah . Nothing is different. Then where is the money going ? It doesnt go into the better roads like the Elevated highway , cos we pay toll over and above the taxes to use that !!!!

Kerala survives on taxes on liquor and karnataka on taxes on vehicles !! may be
Old 21st December 2011, 07:10   #611
Senior - BHPian

This is what I ve been grumbling about for ages. Have a common MRP for cars and fuel like everything else, all across India. Let that be regulated by the Central Government. This level of autonomy granted to the states has caused each of them to become extremely narrow minded, parochial,petty and greedy. Now they follow only their own agendas, without focus on the overall good of the country and its progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
For that we should have a common tax structure. Why is Karnataka permitted to tax 19% and Kerala taxes only 6-7 % and Pondy even lesser ??

Are we in Karnataka getting anything more by paying these atrocious taxes ? Are the pot holes any less deeper ? Nah . Nothing is different. Then where is the money going ? It doesnt go into the better roads like the Elevated highway , cos we pay toll over and above the taxes to use that !!!!

Old 21st December 2011, 10:34   #612
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post

Kerala survives on liquor tax?

If it's just survival for Kerala, then the Karnataka Govt. must be sitting on a pot of money (), as the taxes in Karnataka on ANYTHING is in excess. Even liquor is charged 300% if I'm not wrong?

I guess the Govt. will try and find ways in scamming people. I see no reason why we should be charged 19% for road-tax/reg. when other States charge far lesser and still have equally bad, or slightly better roads. It's just the Govt.'s way of minting money.

Road-tax and registration must be handled by the Central Govt. But the politicos will tend to disagree with us. How else will they be able to afford farm-houses and gold?
Old 21st December 2011, 11:27   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is what I ve been grumbling about for ages. Have a common MRP for cars and fuel like everything else, all across India. Let that be regulated by the Central Government. This level of autonomy granted to the states has caused each of them to become extremely narrow minded, parochial,petty and greedy. Now they follow only their own agendas, without focus on the overall good of the country and its progress.

Generally a good point. I'd say a thumb rule is, the more 'regional' you get, the more marrow minded you become. I am not saying that understanding the regional aspects is not important, all I am saying is that (over)regional autonomy leads to petty and skewed policies.

My thinking on the whole topic is simple: Although I support the common taxation for both fuel as well as vehicles, the next best option is: To do NOTHING. Let people ply their vehicles where ever they want, whenever they want; all across India.

It is not much different than states competing with one another for industries. A manufacturing unit will setup its shop in Gujrat if Karnataka doesn't give it the 'tax soaps'. Although doing the same in vehicles could be an administrative nightmare.

Anyway, forcing people to change the registration by paying up taxes is crap. Let them decide for themselves.
Old 21st December 2011, 16:26   #614
Distinguished - BHPian

Road tax in Karnataka is really insane, which is the reason why people try ways and means to evade the tax. Because people evade tax, the cops have to resort to these so called 'crackdowns'. Instead would it not make sense to have a more sensible tax structure in the first place? Lets see...

For the Karnataka Govt., road tax is a form of revenue. Since road tax is a state subject some 'very brilliant' person has suggested to the govt. to hike the road tax on higher end vehicles since most of them get registered in Bangalore city. Now from the Govt's point of view, they are maximising their revenue which they are supposed to spend on infrastructure, etc... (whether they are doing it properly or not is a whole different issue). By imposing high taxes the number of registration of higher end vehicles is not coming down. Which means the high tax is not acting as a deterrent to people.THe growth in registration of higher end vehicles is a witness to that fact. The people whom this affects is not really a vote bank for them. So who cares right? Its a win win for the Govt. of Karnataka or in other words... The people of Karnataka. Not so for the not so aam admi who is dreaming about which colour should he book for his upcoming BMW 530D .
Old 21st December 2011, 19:38   #615
Senior - BHPian

The road taxes here in Karnataka are totally usurious. Considering that one pays road taxes for creation, upkeep, maintenance of proper roads - the state of the roads here is ridiculously bad to say the least.

I find nowadays that there are many individuals who buy high end vehicles and have them registered in Pondicherry, thereby saving lakhs in taxes. They run them for a year or so or more even, and then possibly either re-sell the vehicle OR get it re-registered at the depreciated rate.

This is a big racket here in Karnataka as can be seen from the sheer number of seriously high end vehicles which are registered in Pondicherry.

The Karnataka government should open their eyes and start looking after the common citizens interests! We do pay our taxes etc and the least we can expect is proper infrastructure instead of the rubbishy conditions here that we are forced to live with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Road tax in Karnataka is really insane, which is the reason why people try ways and means to evade the tax. Because people evade tax, the cops have to resort to these so called 'crackdowns'. Instead would it not make sense to have a more sensible tax structure in the first place? Lets see...

For the Karnataka Govt., road tax is a form of revenue. Since road tax is a state subject some 'very brilliant' person has suggested to the govt. to hike the road tax on higher end vehicles since most of them get registered in Bangalore city. Now from the Govt's point of view, they are maximising their revenue which they are supposed to spend on infrastructure, etc... (whether they are doing it properly or not is a whole different issue). By imposing high taxes the number of registration of higher end vehicles is not coming down. Which means the high tax is not acting as a deterrent to people.THe growth in registration of higher end vehicles is a witness to that fact. The people whom this affects is not really a vote bank for them. So who cares right? Its a win win for the Govt. of Karnataka or in other words... The people of Karnataka. Not so for the not so aam admi who is dreaming about which colour should he book for his upcoming BMW 530D .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks