Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2011, 21:33   #541
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Check this link from the RTO website with the %age details on how much one need to pay for re-registration.

http://rto.kar.nic.in/KMVTA%202010.pdf
OR
Go to Transport Department > RTO services > fees, taxed and fine > The Karnataka Motor Vehicles Taxation (Amendment) Act, 2010
Old 19th September 2011, 23:08   #542
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
In Blore, as long as you dont violate a rule, cops cant stop you, as per order given by Shankar Bidri, the former commissioner. Now if they do stop you breaking a rule and unless the cop is looking at a bribe, they give you a ticket using their blackberry. Then you are recorded. This is enough evidence for him to catch you later with the 11 month clause.
Hows the logic even valid. How about the business community who commute regularly from Tamilnadu or Andhra. I personally know of quiet a few BHPian's who commute from Vellore & Chennai to Bangalore every week. You mean to say if I get caught for some offense this week and If am caught later they can just assume based on my previous ticket that i reside in Bangalore ?!? That's one seriously flawed logic.

Last edited by SR-71 : 19th September 2011 at 23:10.
Old 20th September 2011, 00:40   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
They take quite a lot of money from us, in the name of improving road conditions. But it only gets worse.
Completely agree. I have a KA registered Spark, paid more than my cousin did for his Palio in Delhi, and get to drive on these roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Hows the logic even valid. How about the business community who commute regularly from Tamilnadu or Andhra. I personally know of quiet a few BHPian's who commute from Vellore & Chennai to Bangalore every week. You mean to say if I get caught for some offense this week and If am caught later they can just assume based on my previous ticket that i reside in Bangalore ?!? That's one seriously flawed logic.

If one is passing through or even staying for up to 11 months, there is no need to pay road tax. As explained in the court order, the registration of a vehicle is governed by the Central rule which states that re-registration is only required if staying more than 12 months, and one Only has to pay road tax if the vehicle is re-registered in the new state. Therefore, if one does not fall into that bracket (not staying for >=12 months) then one is not required by law to re-register and hence road tax doesn't come into the picture.

In a normal scenario, one is assumed innocent until proven guilty. There seems to be an extreme case of coffer filling in Karnataka however, due to which they follow the opposite and try and get anyone (even those genuinely just passing through) to pay up. That being the case, I think it is a good idea to keep toll receipts.

That said, if one is actually staying in Karnataka (even if just shifted and planning to stay for more than a year), then just follow the law and get the vehicle re-registered. It is the correct thing to do.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 12:14   #544
BHPian

If there are any legal experts present here :

I am staying in Eletronic City ph-II, for 4 years and there is one road which I need to take every day to commute to office/silkboard/koramangla etc, and for last 4 years the road condition remained same with broken roads/mud and holes. I used to have an Alto for which Road tax was 32k and now for my Punto its 87K; My question is that - can I file a case against Karnataka Govt for cheating and refund of Road tax as they have not developed the road but they are charging highest amount of Road tax in the country?
Old 20th September 2011, 12:25   #545
Senior - BHPian

@asdon, the KA govt is spending lots of money on roads Look at the number of people who get their bills paid for doing the work. So you need to be more specific in the case else it would get thrown out for technicality !
Old 20th September 2011, 13:17   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
@asdon, the KA govt is spending lots of money on roads Look at the number of people who get their bills paid for doing the work. So you need to be more specific in the case else it would get thrown out for technicality !
If the case is legally possible I will bring specific examples too and minimum 1000 witness for sure.
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 13:27   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
If the case is legally possible I will bring specific examples too and minimum 1000 witness for sure.
Legally any citizens of India have this right

But its the technicality that will create issues.

Alternatively, use an RTI to know if there have been incidents where there were claims for the road work being done in that ward. And see the result. You know what to do next
Old 20th September 2011, 13:34   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Legally any citizens of India have this right

But its the technicality that will create issues.

Alternatively, use an RTI to know if there have been incidents where there were claims for the road work being done in that ward. And see the result. You know what to do next
Problem is Electronic city does not come under BBMP, its under BMRDA and all PWD work is manged by local gram Panchayat in Anekal Taluk; Does gram panchayet come under RTI? if yes, is the Karnataka information Commission is the place to file an RTI on this?
Old 20th September 2011, 13:46   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am staying in Eletronic City ph-II, for 4 years and there is one road which I need to take every day to commute to office/silkboard/koramangla etc, and for last 4 years the road condition remained same with broken roads/mud and holes. I used to have an Alto for which Road tax was 32k and now for my Punto its 87K; My question is that - can I file a case against Karnataka Govt for cheating and refund of Road tax as they have not developed the road but they are charging highest amount of Road tax in the country?

Good initiative ,problem is that here in Bangalore especially no one is questioning the authorities in charge, maybe it is the roads, taxes , water supply , property registration , RTO etc etc..
This has led to rampant corruption and careless attitude of people in responsible for providing basic facilities to citizens of this city.

I think RTI is a good way to start , PIL can also be another alternative. Any lawyers on this forum can help !
Old 20th September 2011, 17:36   #550
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My question is that - can I file a case against Karnataka Govt for cheating and refund of Road tax as they have not developed the road but they are charging highest amount of Road tax in the country?
Road Tax is a State subject and that is the reason for the differential tax amongst the States. As long as the Road Tax has been properly approved and Government Order has been issued it will be legally binding and cannot be questioned even in the Courts.

If you file such a case the Court may view this as a frivolous case and fine you instead

On a lighter note the State can say they are imposing a higher road tax to discourage people buying cars and use public transport instead

Cheers

Last edited by KPS : 20th September 2011 at 17:42. Reason: added a lighter note
Old 20th September 2011, 17:44   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Road Tax is a State subject and that is the reason for the differential tax amongst the States. As long as the Road Tax has been properly approved and Government Order has been issued it will be legally binding and cannot be questioned even in the Courts.

If you file such a case the Court may view this as a frivolous case and fine you instead

Cheers
Going little OT for an example
The recent Singur Land Act was approved by newly elected Govt in WB, and it was also passed in State Assembly, but there are more than one case filed against the Act itself including the one of TATA Motors. I am not a legal expert but how its possible that if something is approved by the Govt then nobody can question it or file a case against it? not sure how far its true, but I am going the RTI way for the time, and will decide upon getting the answer.
Old 20th September 2011, 17:59   #552
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Going little OT for an example
The recent Singur Land Act was approved by newly elected Govt in WB, and it was also passed in State Assembly, but there are more than one case filed against the Act itself including the one of TATA Motors. I am not a legal expert but how its possible that if something is approved by the Govt then nobody can question it or file a case against it? not sure how far its true, but I am going the RTI way for the time, and will decide upon getting the answer.
The MOTOR VEHICLE ACT 1939 is a well defined Act. Has stood the test of time. The Act clear defines the powers of the Center and States under the MV Act and is applicable across the country.

The Singur example was not an Act applicable to the rest of the country, it was State specific and far more complicated with respect to political compulsions etc.

Please do file the RTI you will surely get figures where the State has spent more money than the Road Tax collected on road infrastructure. However, the quality of the work will be up to your imagination

Cheers
Old 16th November 2011, 12:30   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Has anybody (Non-KA reg) recently been asked for Road Tax receipt? I see lot of non-KA registered cars on ORR every day. Is it still really a big issue? I thought there was some orders from the police commissioner that nobody would be stopped unless there is some crime (or violation) committed.

Almost all cars in my society bore non-KA reg plates. I also have been driving here for more than 1 year but so far havent been stopped for this. I even got a ticket once for speeding on ORR (driving at 67 KMPH, speed limit being 60 KMPH!!!) but the cop there didnt ask for any road tax receipt.
My brother bought his car in Delhi 5 years back and he moved back to Bangalore almost a year and a half back. I have been pushing him to pay the road tax and get KA registration done however due to want of time and his oversight he did not. Last week he was stopped by the RTO at Jayanagar (thought he did not break any traffic law) and he had to pay up almost 38K as road tax with some fine etc. He will get the registration also changed shortly. This was to happen today or tomorrow and it is his mistake. So do not be under the impression that no one is watching. There will be RTO people who can spring up and take action!
Old 16th November 2011, 13:46   #554
BHPian

Any idea on how much would be the approx tax of a non-KA Alto, 2008 regn ?. Would be retaining the existing number

Is there any online link/calculator to find this out ?
Old 16th November 2011, 14:10   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Any idea on how much would be the approx tax of a non-KA Alto, 2008 regn ?. Would be retaining the existing number

Is there any online link/calculator to find this out ?
The calculation is 12% of the depreciated value of the vehicle as road tax to be paid in KA RTO.
sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks