Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2011, 15:16   #526
BHPian

re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
There is a simple solution for people who want to drive KL/TN/AP/GA/MH cars on KA roads. As your homes are nearby so you must be visiting your hometown atleast in 1 or 2 months, and you must be paying toll for using NHs, so keep your latest toll slips and your address proof ready in car, and when RTO catches you, build a story of official/family visit and show them the slip, NH toll slips are valid for 6 months to be in a different state than where the vehicle is registered.
The issue is, you pass through the same cops day in and out. If they target your car, you dont have too much to get away.

Its a crooked way out to beat the law, but then you drive with that thought in your mind .
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 15:20   #527
BHPian

re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached

Am attaching a copy of the high court judgement which clearly states that if a non KA vehicle is plying in KA for a period less than 11 months, RTO can't force them to pay the road tax and the onus is on RTO to prove that this guy has been in KA for period more than 11 months.

For all those who get caught, I would advice to take the legal route (by filing a contempt of court case against RTO, citing the attached judgement)

Before that, just flash the copy of this judgement whenever some one catches you and then there are chances that you might be let off (cos who wants to drag his life in a contempt of court case) ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KA HighCourt Judgement.pdf (22.0 KB, 3701 views)
File Type: pdf Road Tax KA judgement.pdf (767.8 KB, 3085 views)
joecherian is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 16:40   #528
Distinguished - BHPian

I seriously don't understand if its worth the hassle to drive out of state registered vehicles just to save on RT. You really want to drive always under stress of encountering the cops at the next junction? When you are paying in lakhs for that car why not pay some more money and enjoy your car. And as I posted earlier you will end up getting better resale also right. So the % of money that you lose is still the same.

Ofcourse if you are just there for some 2-3 months then the above does not apply to you.

In cities like Delhi it is alright to drive out of state cars because no one checks you for thaT since we have almost every other car from NCR regions like Noida and Gurgaon. But in places like bangalore where they check on this thing regularly I don't think its worth the pain.

As far as reasoning with the Cops or showing them high courts judgements is concerned I will suggest to stay clear of such things. If you are a lawyer and know people its ok, otherwise I believe the way it works in India: The cops can really harass you and still be within the law. Not recommended according to me. That too in places like bangalore most out-station vehicles are anyways driven by non-kannadigas and that will complicate the situation even more.

Last edited by drmohitg : 13th September 2011 at 16:43. Reason: Text added.
Old 13th September 2011, 17:33   #529
Senior - BHPian

There are other ways of the cops finding out that your car has been in Bangalore for more than the allowed time frame. If you commit an offence, no parking or something like that, then your car has a record with the cops, so any time you are stopped and if you say that you have just arrived, then it may not work.
Old 13th September 2011, 18:07   #530
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody (Non-KA reg) recently been asked for Road Tax receipt? I see lot of non-KA registered cars on ORR every day. Is it still really a big issue? I thought there was some orders from the police commissioner that nobody would be stopped unless there is some crime (or violation) committed.

Almost all cars in my society bore non-KA reg plates. I also have been driving here for more than 1 year but so far havent been stopped for this. I even got a ticket once for speeding on ORR (driving at 67 KMPH, speed limit being 60 KMPH!!!) but the cop there didnt ask for any road tax receipt.
Old 13th September 2011, 18:33   #531
Senior - BHPian

^^
Cops caught my friend for jumping red signal on Brigade road. His car is KL registered but they slapped Rs. 100 fine eventhough it was not my friend's mistake. No questions asked about road tax or any other papers.
Old 13th September 2011, 18:42   #532
Senior - BHPian

Checking used to happen quite frequently 3-4 years back with police even landing up at company parking lots or Apartments so that you cant give an excuse that you dont live in Bangalore. But as someone rightly pointed out a couple of posts back, some commissioner passed the order not to stop people just to check papers, and i havent seen anyone getting harassed for non-KA cars. Infact i see atleast 20-30% cars in Indiranagar/Koramangala area having non-KA plates.
Old 13th September 2011, 18:57   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
^^
Cops caught my friend for jumping red signal on Brigade road. His car is KL registered but they slapped Rs. 100 fine eventhough it was not my friend's mistake. No questions asked about road tax or any other papers.
How come your friend is not at mistake if he has just jumped a red signal. IMHO its a very serious offense.
Old 13th September 2011, 19:07   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
How come your friend is not at mistake if he has just jumped a red signal. IMHO its a very serious offense.
He was entering from MG road to Brigade road (signal was green), there comes a stupid Versa jumping red signal from trinity road side and blocked my friend's vehicle. Within seconds signal turned red so he had to crawl to other side slowly to avoid blocking the road. Stupid cops were watching all these, instead of catching the Versa driver they caught my friend and slapped Rs.100 fine.
Old 13th September 2011, 20:38   #535
BHPian

In Blore, as long as you dont violate a rule, cops cant stop you, as per order given by Shankar Bidri, the former commissioner. Now if they do stop you breaking a rule and unless the cop is looking at a bribe, they give you a ticket using their blackberry. Then you are recorded. This is enough evidence for him to catch you later with the 11 month clause.

As i said earlier, its peace of mind vs 8% additional tax liability..

Your choice.
Old 14th September 2011, 08:54   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I thin k my post got misinterpreted in a wrong way. I am not trying to make this an outsider vs insider issue at all (in fact I don't like using such terms). The term came to forth coz of the indifferent attitude that I have received a number of times.

If a CH (3% vs 10% for 10L+ cars)car can roam around in Delhi, why can't a TN car (10% vs 18% I think)do so in Bangalore? When you first come to Bangy and start roaming around, you'll mistake it for a 'small' city. The roads are so congested and smallish. Why should it have the highest RT anyway. They are milking the IT junta, who are sitting ducks. All I am trying to say is that this over-fuss is highly uncalled for.

Bang on When is your Jetta coming buddy? Is it Trendline or Comfortline that you zeroed on?

EDIT: Saw your PM. Congrats. So CL it is. Date of delivery?
Abhi, my friend. Why dont you see it as people staying in KA pay higher tax (its not just Bengaluru and IT people). That should include everyone. There is no different tax for people based on where they are born or brought up as you say. Everyone pays the same. You are trying to categorize/victimize yourself.
Old 14th September 2011, 09:24   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
In Blore, as long as you dont violate a rule, cops cant stop you, as per order given by Shankar Bidri, the former commissioner. Now if they do stop you breaking a rule and unless the cop is looking at a bribe, they give you a ticket using their blackberry. Then you are recorded. This is enough evidence for him to catch you later with the 11 month clause.

As i said earlier, its peace of mind vs 8% additional tax liability..

Your choice.
Well does it actually means that from the date you get fined, you are going to stay in Karnataka? It does not, I visit Tamilnadu almost every month, and if I get caught in July and next year May it does not mean that I stayed there for 11 months. Thats why I insisted on keeping toll slips, which will provide evidence of the time you last visited, and thats what it matters, I am not a law expert by any chance but what I understand the outside registered vehicle must be staying in the state for 11 month and more before the RTO can charge.

Last edited by bblost : 14th September 2011 at 09:25. Reason: fixed quotes tag. Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 09:44   #538
Senior - BHPian

Wherever you go, one has to follow rule of the land. Then only you are welcome in other land. If not you have choice to stay with 3% of road tax in those states.

Even, I paid RT for my 800, Bike and Scooty in Bangalore. It was quite pinch but recovered money when I sold my car in Bangalore.

It was all individual's choice to come to Karnataka and Bangalore.
Old 14th September 2011, 09:46   #539
Team-BHP Support

I have just one thing to say to this. As a regular commuter in Bangalore, I believe that the roads simply DO NOT justify the high road tax that one needs to shell out while buying a car. Registration is expensive too. I do not understand why!

They take quite a lot of money from us, in the name of improving road conditions. But it only gets worse.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 17:01   #540
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

This article appeared in todays Bangalore Mirror ( page 5)

http://http://www.bangaloremirror.co...g-techies.html

from the article, this stood out : This is what the rule book says: Any outstation registration vehicle entering Karnataka with its owner planning a permanent stay should intimate the RTO, give change of address application and pay the state road tax within 30 days.

The tax is calculated based on the type and age of the vehicle. For re-registration with a new number, 12 months is the deadline. A NoC from the mother state RTO should be obtained. The same rule applies for sale of outstation registered vehicles.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks