Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2011, 10:40   #511
Senior - BHPian

re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
I got caught 2 times before I decided to pay the road tax of my bike (KL) in 2003 and after that, never till now. It's strange! Maybe they know from your confidence that you have all the papers ready
I too paid KA life tax for my Y2K TN registered Splendor in 2001 and used it at B'lore till 2005. I took a reduced photocopy of the tax receipt and pasted it on the front fairing. During crackdowns they will take one look at the fairing and wave me off! I still have the same bike, just in case I am transferred back to Bangalore!

But that was for a bike and cost me ~ Rs 2700.00 or so, a small hole in the pocket. For a car, it will burn your entire pocket off! But still law is law, and we better comply till pan India road tax is in place.
Old 13th September 2011, 11:01   #512
Senior - BHPian

re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Guys,

I may get some wrath here but I think all this is crap.

If a city like Delhi (Mumbai too?) can tolerate the cars from other states without any fuss, why can't Karnataka? The reg is cheaper in Gurgaon than Delhi. So, some people do get it register there. So what? Let them do it. What's such a fuss..

I think it is one way of exhibiting authority. Telling 'outside people' who's the boss. Telling people that when your'e in 'our' land, do as what we say. And Karnataka is not the worst here. There are states in our country which are even more discriminatory.

Personally, I find such mentality sickening! It's one country guys.
You forgot one simple fact. Local people pay the same high amount of tax. Local people ply on the same roads. So I dont see who the boss thing or discrimination thing in this. Why do people have to have the permanent 'outside people' mindset?
Old 13th September 2011, 11:07   #513
BHPian

I drive a KL regn Indigo (2005) and an RX 100 (1988). Have paid KA taxes for the bike, but for the car the tax difference is humongous.

The KL road tax for an Indigo was 17000 and in KA it was around 48000 ( 2005 story).

Im now planning to get a safari/scorpio, and I'm at the same dilemma. KL Road tax is around 61k and KA is around 120K. That's huge.

Sadly for the roads that we ply in Blore, the state govt should actually pay us for the wear and tear in the vehicle. KL roads are equally bad, but I'm paying only half of what i would pay as RT there.

My friends santro was taken from Jayanagar shopping complex, and he was made to pay RT plus fine, amounting to some 45k.

To put it short, if you need peace of mind pay the KA tax. If you need to save the money, keep bribing them and getting off, pay the KL tax.
Old 13th September 2011, 11:08   #514
BHPian

I've got a 02 Santro, whose road tax at the time of registration was around 8K, in a northern state. Now, 9 years and 120K kms later, I have to pay 28.5K road tax in KA on the depreciated value of my car! And even after this daylight robbery kind of taxing, they dont give me decent roads to drive my KA registered car on! No wonder resale prices are so high in KA, the owners want to reclaim the looted money.
Old 13th September 2011, 12:06   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
You forgot one simple fact. Local people pay the same high amount of tax. Local people ply on the same roads. So I dont see who the boss thing or discrimination thing in this. Why do people have to have the permanent 'outside people' mindset?
I don't have 'outside people' mindset. I just came across that mindset and thus mentioning it there. For e.g. if I talk in the local language, my chances of getting away astronomically increase coz then I seem to be a 'one amongst us'.

Anyway, I don't want to get into an unnecessary debate. The ideal situation would have been to have uniform nationwide tax. However, since it will not happen due to the vested interest of state govts, I am not going to waste my time discussing it.

As for the local people paying higher taxes, it happens in all the states. So, why is the fuss only in Bangalore? Do you think that the Delhi govt does not lose tax when people get their vehicles registered in Gurgaon?
Old 13th September 2011, 12:18   #516
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As for the local people paying higher taxes, it happens in all the states. So, why is the fuss only in Bangalore? Do you think that the Delhi govt does not lose tax when people get their vehicles registered in Gurgaon?
Really? All states have high road tax? What is the road tax in Delhi for a 10L ex-showroom vehicle? In KA it will be 18.7% (RT + cess).
Old 13th September 2011, 12:21   #517
BHPian

The very least we can expect is easy, painless, one step, grease free refund process when we leave the state.
Old 13th September 2011, 12:36   #518
BHPian

Quote:

As for the local people paying higher taxes, it happens in all the states. So, why is the fuss only in Bangalore?
Abhi, Its not a local vs outsider issue. There seems to be no logic for a 15.5 % RT in Karnataka. What do you get for that premium you pay ? Take into account the wear and tear, plus additional fuel costs that you incur cos of pathertic roads?

My take is also a unified tax, which is never going to materialise. So we need to decide between cost saving and peace of mind.
Old 13th September 2011, 12:38   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Really? All states have high road tax? What is the road tax in Delhi for a 10L ex-showroom vehicle? In KA it will be 18.7% (RT + cess).
What he meant was I think that govt losing out on tax amounts due to people getting the car registered outside. In Delhi the RT is around 10.5%. In neighboring cities like gurgaon it is 6%, Chandigarh 3%, Uttarakhand 2.5%. As a result with an alarming increase you can see more and more cars with CH and UK number plates. HR I am not counting because many people from Gurgaon and other Haryana cities come into delhi everyday for work etc.

Ultimately the ideal situation is a uniform road tax across the country.

Till then all I can say (having stayed in bangalore for 6 years) is that you do get higher second hand car rates too due to the high RT initially. In the end you will lose same % of money ( or nearly same) when you sell out your car. I sold my 02 model Santro ( in not so good condition) for 1.3L in Bangalore. The same car would have hardly fetched me a Lakh in delhi.
Old 13th September 2011, 14:05   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
To put it short, if you need peace of mind pay the KA tax. If you need to save the money, keep bribing them and getting off, pay the KL tax.
Yes, you are correct. I had a AP registered 2006 WagonR(usage was 62000 Kms) and when i moved to bangalore I had plans to pay the KA road tax. I visited the RTO to get the tax amount and I was told the tax was around 50K plus the brokerage. But in 2005, I had payed only 32K for road tax. Already I had plans to buy a diesel car after a year or two, due to this tax issue I bought a diesel car and sold the WagonR in hyderabad immediately.

At times, even when people are willing to pay the road tax these brokers in RTO make the process more difficult.
Old 13th September 2011, 14:21   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Abhi, Its not a local vs outsider issue. There seems to be no logic for a 15.5 % RT in Karnataka. What do you get for that premium you pay ? Take into account the wear and tear, plus additional fuel costs that you incur cos of pathertic roads?

My take is also a unified tax, which is never going to materialise. So we need to decide between cost saving and peace of mind.
I thin k my post got misinterpreted in a wrong way. I am not trying to make this an outsider vs insider issue at all (in fact I don't like using such terms). The term came to forth coz of the indifferent attitude that I have received a number of times.

If a CH (3% vs 10% for 10L+ cars)car can roam around in Delhi, why can't a TN car (10% vs 18% I think)do so in Bangalore? When you first come to Bangy and start roaming around, you'll mistake it for a 'small' city. The roads are so congested and smallish. Why should it have the highest RT anyway. They are milking the IT junta, who are sitting ducks. All I am trying to say is that this over-fuss is highly uncalled for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What he meant was I think that govt losing out on tax amounts due to people getting the car registered outside. In Delhi the RT is around 10.5%. In neighboring cities like gurgaon it is 6%, Chandigarh 3%, Uttarakhand 2.5%. As a result with an alarming increase you can see more and more cars with CH and UK number plates. HR I am not counting because many people from Gurgaon and other Haryana cities come into delhi everyday for work etc.

Its one nation, there should be one tax. But as I said, its not going to happen.

Ultimately the ideal situation is a uniform road tax across the country.

Till then all I can say (having stayed in bangalore for 6 years) is that you do get higher second hand car rates too due to the high RT initially. In the end you will lose same % of money ( or nearly same) when you sell out your car. I sold my 02 model Santro ( in not so good condition) for 1.3L in Bangalore. The same car would have hardly fetched me a Lakh in delhi.
Bang on When is your Jetta coming buddy? Is it Trendline or Comfortline that you zeroed on?

EDIT: Saw your PM. Congrats. So CL it is. Date of delivery?

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 13th September 2011 at 14:26.
Old 13th September 2011, 14:29   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: Saw your PM. Congrats. So CL it is. Date of delivery?
Read the full PM mate!
Old 13th September 2011, 14:33   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Read the full PM mate!
Just did. That's why in English papers, RC was not my strongest point
Sensible decision to go for two slightly different type of cars.
Old 13th September 2011, 14:48   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

I am looking forward with trepidation to my upcoming Bangalore trip for the Metallica show. Will carry my company ID with address on it just to prove to these idiots that I have not been transferred back. Last time they landed in my office parking lot and sat on my car (not literally!) till I coughed up- check my earlier post on this thread.
Old 13th September 2011, 15:12   #525
BHPian

There is a simple solution for people who want to drive KL/TN/AP/GA/MH cars on KA roads. As your homes are nearby so you must be visiting your hometown atleast in 1 or 2 months, and you must be paying toll for using NHs, so keep your latest toll slips and your address proof ready in car, and when RTO catches you, build a story of official/family visit and show them the slip, NH toll slips are valid for 6 months to be in a different state than where the vehicle is registered.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks