Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 11:14   #466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Someone told me that toll receipts are valid for 6 months. Is this true? The reason I ask is because, for a TN car, I could show the Hosur toll receipt. But it does show the date right? So will the RTO not get suspicious of this?
I told you Rohan, yes toll receipts are valid for 6 months.
Old 3rd December 2010, 23:53   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I told you Rohan, yes toll receipts are valid for 6 months.

Oh yea, now it rings a bell. You were the one who told me over the phone soem time ago! I plan on going to Hosur on Sunday and get the toll slip. ALso i need to renew my emission. It will expire on Dec 8th!
Old 4th December 2010, 11:50   #468
Team-BHP Support

Finally, with a pocket lighter by 64k (not including agent fees), I can drive around safely in Karnataka, without being bothered by the RTO thugs.

Looking at the tax amount, I too contemplated for a while about taking my chances and driving around as-is, but it's not really worth it. You might get unlucky at the worst possible moment, and no amount of money can replace peace of mind.

Money? I can earn it again.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th December 2010 at 11:56. Reason: Adding comment
Old 4th December 2010, 14:07   #469
Team-BHP Support

Yes! But why did you go through an agent?
Old 4th December 2010, 16:35   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
It depends on the guy who catch you
@ mjothi: Agree!! Totally depends on the RTO officer involved and the 'grease' you agree.
Old 4th December 2010, 18:15   #471
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes! But why did you go through an agent?
I mentioned 'agent' for want of a better word. It's actually the employee assistance helpdesk in our company, which helps with all kinds of stuff, including RTO. Reasonable charges, and good service. I had to visit the RTO personally only once for inspection. Even then, they offered to get it done themselves, but I didn't trust them with the car in maddening traffic.
Old 6th January 2011, 19:27   #472

Moving to Bangalore : Road tax law still on?

Hi,
I would be moving to Bangalore from Pune in another month or so.
I plan to take my Swift with MH reg as well.
Has anyone done the same recently? Have you paid the relevant road tax?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th January 2011 at 21:32. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks
Old 6th January 2011, 23:21   #473
Senior - BHPian

re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached

eminemence

Please go ahead and get your car. Nobody will trouble you as long as you dont break any rules. Even if you do, cops cannot question you on the registration

There has been a ruling lately that prevents cops from questioning people on out of state numbers
Old 7th January 2011, 00:08   #474
BHPian

Re: Moving to Bangalore : Road tax law still on?

pls run your car - no problem. i used my KL lancer for 2.5 yrs there & TN cedia for an year (both till Dec 2010). nothing happened.

be a responsible citizen . . . maintain lane disipline . . . dont just be another one adding to the traffic jams there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminemence View Post
Hi,
I would be moving to Bangalore from Pune in another month or so.
I plan to take my Swift with MH reg as well.
Has anyone done the same recently? Have you paid the relevant road tax?
Thanks in advance.
Old 7th January 2011, 00:29   #475

re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
eminemence

Please go ahead and get your car. Nobody will trouble you as long as you dont break any rules. Even if you do, cops cannot question you on the registration

There has been a ruling lately that prevents cops from questioning people on out of state numbers
This thread sums it all quite well.
Does the refund makes sense if we plan to move back to the parent state after some years? Will I have to pay road tax again if I move back to Pune?
Old 7th January 2011, 00:53   #476
Senior - BHPian

Well, for one if you plan to go back at some point or the other, makes no sense wasting time on a refund

But if u do claim, then 'technically', if you ever go back you have to pay it.

Acutually, I dont quite understand ur question. Are u asking, if you come to bangalore, pay road tax here, and then claim a refund if you want to go back. If that is the case, why pay here. ?
Old 8th January 2011, 22:03   #477
BANNED

This is daylight robbery by state governments. As it is road taxes are ridiculously high and added to that are the greed of the state governments to fleece and collect revenue. This is extortion.
Old 10th January 2011, 08:13   #478
BHPian

Re: Moving to Bangalore : Road tax law still on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malikayil View Post
pls run your car - no problem. i used my KL lancer for 2.5 yrs there & TN cedia for an year (both till Dec 2010). nothing happened.

be a responsible citizen . . . maintain lane disipline . . . dont just be another one adding to the traffic jams there.
I second that ! I drove for nearly 4 years with GA registered cars on Bangalore streets! Just have a PUC certificate and insurance from your home state and don't give in to the cops demands no matter how much they try to convince you otherwise!

A trip home with the car at least once in 6 months might make things easier as you'd have valid fuel/service/toll bills along with a PUC certificate/insuarance

Things were pretty bad a year or so back , however in recent times , as long as you don't break any rules/laws I don't think anyone will bother to stop you!

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 10th January 2011 at 08:19.
Old 10th January 2011, 09:22   #479
BHPian

I have used a KL Lancer,KL santro and till recently had been using my KL Safari in Bangalore till 2009 september before i moved to Kochi.I never faced any issues with RTO though i have been stopped a few times for one-way violations and once or twice for an alcohol level check.But in all instances the KA police were very well behaved and polite and never ever questioned about Karnataka road tax.I had been driving in bangalore since 2005.But please try to keep with you fuel receipts,toll receipts etc to make your point stronger.
Old 10th January 2011, 09:27   #480
BHPian

Hey Guyz,

From the reply from everyone i can see that no one has been caught for different state registration. Good that you are not.

But i am not one among the fortunate. I had a TN registered car and it was caught not by traffic cops but by cops wearing khaki uniform, don't know to which category they belong to. I told many reasons, but they were not accepting anything and asked me for toll tickets since i told them that i came a week back. I was not aware that toll tickets were valid for 6 months, else we would not have paid the fine.

I had to pay fine of Rs.500 ofcourse with ticket. When asked what has to be done, he told that according to rules we have to pay road tax. Mine was an 8 year old vehicle and when enquired i had to pay Rs.13000/ year (Amount depends on the age of the vehicle). But our plan was to have that vehicle for 4 months, so thought why to pay for it. This was in 2009 in bangalore.

Once you get caught, you loose your peace of mind which is what happend in our case.

For more information anyone can search for the RTO website of karnataka. Everything is mentioned in there.

Last edited by informmaha : 10th January 2011 at 09:33.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks