Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2010, 16:35   #436
BHPian

Hey people!
My dad really doesn't have to pay road tax/LTT.
Even some of his juniors (1st time buyers) had to shell out only the ex-showroom price.
Old 21st June 2010, 16:38   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Hey people!
Even some of his juniors (1st time buyers) had to shell out only the ex-showroom price.
Can someone tell me this is applicable to only Central Govt employees with transferable jobs or for all Central Govt Employees?
Old 21st June 2010, 16:43   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Thanks for this info, Rohan. Can you share the (KA RTO?) link on this?
It now makes a lot of sense to register my next car in Kerala under my wife's name (she is a Central Govt employee).
Not able to find information regarding this on the Karnataka RTO website. But I am sure that Karnataka RTO has provision for annual road tax for Central Govt employees with a transferable job. (Not sure whether other states have similar provision, please check in your respective state)

If you are planning to register a vehicle under your wife's name in Kerala (assuming that Kerala RTO has provision for annual road tax), your wife's employer should give her a letter which mentions that she is working for a Central Govt organisation and that the nature of her job is transferable. Based on this letter, the RTO would give option for paying annual road tax.

Again, if you want to transfer this vehicle from Kerala to Karnataka, you would get the option for paying annual road tax only if your wife has actually been transferred from Kerala to Karnataka. She would need to get another similar letter from her office in Karnataka for availing annual road tax in Karnataka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Can someone tell me this is applicable to only Central Govt employees with transferable jobs or for all Central Govt Employees?
Applicable only for Central Govt employees whose nature of job is transferable.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 21st June 2010 at 16:45.
Old 21st June 2010, 16:48   #439
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Is it possible to re-register a TN registered '90's make NA diesel car in Karnataka? If yes, what costs are involved?
here you go:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-rs-15-8k.html
Old 21st June 2010, 17:20   #440
BHPian

Stand corrected - yes, in case of employees of central govt/nationalized banks, there is a provision to pay annual tax.

Searching for this info isn't too easy on Karnataka RTO's website and therefore, here is how to see the official version -
Visit Transport Department and click on 'Notifications & Circulars' in left panel. In the list which opens up, click on 'Central Government Employees and Defence Personnel Vehicle Tax Notification' to view the guidelines.
Old 22nd June 2010, 09:08   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Hey people!
If you don't mind sharing with us, which Central Government department is he working for ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Stand corrected - yes, in case of employees of central govt/nationalized banks, there is a provision to pay annual tax.

Searching for this info isn't too easy on Karnataka RTO's website and therefore, here is how to see the official version -
Visit Transport Department and click on 'Notifications & Circulars' in left panel. In the list which opens up, click on 'Central Government Employees and Defence Personnel Vehicle Tax Notification' to view the guidelines.
That was a great find !

The information was present on the website, but not easy to find.

The only problem is that the language used in that notice is too legal for a layman to understand.

Rohan
Old 10th August 2010, 18:21   #442
BHPian

I make sure to renew the pollution certificate of my car whenever I drive down to kerala irrespective of the expiry date.
Hope this would help in arguments though never came across a real RTO checking for the last 3 years!

Heard that the RTO checking are going high around new airport road!
Old 10th August 2010, 19:17   #443
BHPian

My BIL has been transferred to Bangalore. He owns a 1999 Maruti Zen which is Delhi registered. I checked the Bangalore RTO site but was not able to find the information about the road tax that he is supposed to pay to the RTO.
From what I understand is that he just needs to pay the Road Tax and not take a new number?
Old 27th November 2010, 10:03   #444
Team-BHP Support

Bangalore RTO is a bunch of thieves. I'm trying to re-register a 2006 model Accent from MP to KA, and they're quoting me 15% Road Tax (depreciated to 75% for 4 yr old vehicle) + 10% cess.

The total amount is 63k. Daylight robbery, to put it politely.
Old 27th November 2010, 11:07   #445
Distinguished - BHPian

@ Chetan: I moved to Bangalore in July 2002 with my MH registered Accent. Within a month I got "caught" in a swoop raid in my company's parking lot. They challaned me for 15% of invoice value (for less than 2 years, treated as new) plus 2000 as penalty.

I tried explaining that I had only just moved and was in process of re-registering the car anyway (had just received the Maharashtra NOC the same week) and that they should at least give me some time to arrange the money. The RTO guy (one of the bunch you so eloquently described above) coolly tells me, OK sir then leave your car here- we will take it to impound in the evening; after that it is not my responsibility. This was my new car- the apple of my eye- and the veiled threat was not lost on me. Told him to wait and rushed home by auto (luckily office was 10 mins from home in those days).

The total amount was an astonishing 47,000/- odd and back then the daily limit for ATM withdrawal was 15K per account (I had two, thankfully, one each from my old and new companies). Dad & Mom were with me to help me settle in so we used Dad's account and somehow scraped up the money required. I had to rush to KA05 RTO to pay up in time (it's a complete hellhole and at that time I didn't know any Kannada to save my life- thankfully Dad, who is fluent, was with me).

When we came back, the officer was all smiles and chatted in Kannada with my Dad etc. I was absolutely cold with him and told him that a little consideration would have been appreciated- he shrugged and started giving me the regular "Saar what can we do?" cock and bull story. I ignored him and told my Dad let's go- he later gently told me that I shouldn 't have been rude to a Govt official!

Needless to say, it took some time for me to recover from that blow (my takehome salary at that time was less than what I had to cough up to the RTO, not to mention EMI and the other expenses related to relocation almost broke my back!) To add to my woes, I was bluntly told by my Maharashtra RTO guy (the person who helped me get NOC etc.) that I was not to hold my breath for any refund from MH06 (it was about 21,000/-) So in the end I coughed up 70K in taxes & charges, and for what? For relocating legally between 2 neighbouring states and doing everything by the book? I would advise anybody planning to move to Karnataka- SELL YOUR CAR! It's just not worth it.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2010, 11:20   #446
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@ Chetan: I moved to Bangalore in July 2002 with my MH registered Accent. Within a month I got "caught" in a swoop raid in my company's parking lot. They challaned me for 15% of invoice value (for less than 2 years, treated as new) plus 2000 as penalty.

I tried explaining that I had only just moved and was in process of re-registering the car anyway (had just received the Maharashtra NOC the same week) and that they should at least give me some time to arrange the money. The RTO guy (one of the bunch you so eloquently described above) coolly tells me, OK sir then leave your car here- we will take it to impound in the evening; after that it is not my responsibility. This was my new car- the apple of my eye- and the veiled threat was not lost on me. Told him to wait and rushed home by auto (luckily office was 10 mins from home in those days).

The total amount was an astonishing 47,000/- odd and back then the daily limit for ATM withdrawal was 15K per account (I had two, thankfully, one each from my old and new companies). Dad & Mom were with me to help me settle in so we used Dad's account and somehow scraped up the money required. I had to rush to KA05 RTO to pay up in time (it's a complete hellhole and at that time I didn't know any Kannada to save my life- thankfully Dad, who is fluent, was with me).

When we came back, the officer was all smiles and chatted in Kannada with my Dad etc. I was absolutely cold with him and told him that a little consideration would have been appreciated- he shrugged and started giving me the regular "Saar what can we do?" cock and bull story. I ignored him and told my Dad let's go- he later gently told me that I shouldn 't have been rude to a Govt official!

Needless to say, it took some time for me to recover from that blow (my takehome salary at that time was less than what I had to cough up to the RTO, not to mention EMI and the other expenses related to relocation almost broke my back!) To add to my woes, I was bluntly told by my Maharashtra RTO guy (the person who helped me get NOC etc.) that I was not to hold my breath for any refund from MH06 (it was about 21,000/-) So in the end I coughed up 70K in taxes & charges, and for what? For relocating legally between 2 neighbouring states and doing everything by the book? I would advise anybody planning to move to Karnataka- SELL YOUR CAR! It's just not worth it.
To top it all off, I just read through the Motor vehicle Amendment Act 2010, and the rate is 14%, not 15. That itself will make a difference of around 4k. It might not be a big amount, but it's not insignificant. When I'm getting ripped off, why shouldn't I point out that they're charging me an extra 1% illegally, and save that money?

All this when the CM is stealing all the tax we pay through our noses. Disgusting.
Old 27th November 2010, 11:27   #447
BHPian

@Noopster - Why you will not get the refund from MH? its your right, have you checked with RTO?
Old 27th November 2010, 11:49   #448
Senior - BHPian

My heart always skips a beat when I see this thread pop up!

Both my vehicles are outside state registered bike is TN and car is MH. I'm relying on toll receipts for as long as they work.
Old 27th November 2010, 11:51   #449
BHPian

All India Road Tax

Looks like T-Bhp members in KA seem to be having harrowing experience at the hands of RTO officials.
Is it prevalent only in KA?
I see lot of KA, KL, DL and other states cars in Chennai, but have not come across such complaints.
Why not the Central government charge the "All India Road Tax" uniformly throughout India and pass on the benefit in proportion to the respective states of registration (similar to VAT).
This will overcome these kind of situations.
By the way while buying a new car I paid 12.5% VAT and then 10% road tax !!
After all the driving license issued by the local RTO is valid all over India and is aptly called "India Driving License".
Then why not a collective "India Road Tax" including VAT?
Is it because that such a cause is not represented to the Government?
Can we as T-BHP do something about this? Big bosses please comment.

HC
Old 27th November 2010, 11:59   #450
Senior - BHPian

This harrasment goes on even in Chennai. I've been hauled up quite a few times for my OR Registered Honda Dio back in 2007-08.Luckily I had the NOC and they would let me go.

Road tax collected goes to the state treasury as its their responsibility to maintain the roads. But I do hope that some day we have a centralized tax collection structure.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks