Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2009, 13:50   #271
Senior - BHPian

Basic question:
What if I drive my KL registered car to Bangalore for a stay of one week? Will they still take my car or my RC book and ask me to pay that hefty amount?

What to do under such circumstances, where you are in Bangalore with your non KA car for a short duration?
Old 17th August 2009, 13:50   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Pls see my earlier post with the attached judgement which says that the Governement cannot even levy road tax on an out of state car if it has been there for less than a year.
The judgement date, if am not wrong , is July 15, 2005. How come this didn't come to the attention of us BHPIans for such a long period ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Basic question:
What if I drive my KL registered car to Bangalore for a stay of one week? Will they still take my car or my RC book and ask me to pay that hefty amount?

What to do under such circumstances, where you are in Bangalore with your non KA car for a short duration?
That is where you have some stuff called toll reciepts, petrol bills, pollution check certificates that can help you prove that you just hoped in to KA.Any plans to visit Bangy ? Do drop a line...

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th August 2009 at 19:21. Reason: please read the note in post, thanks
Old 17th August 2009, 14:54   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Hi. Here is a judgement that everyone with this problem will find very useful. It states that a person is allowed to use an out of state car in another state without paying the road tax for that state, provided the car has not been there for over a year. I suggest you to keep a copy of this in your car and flash it to the cops next time you get caught.

Incidentally it is against the state of Karnataka. A relative of mine was caught for using a Goa registered car in Hubli, Karnataka. Instead of coughing up the tax and fine like all of us he took the Karnataka RTO to court and won!! I hope everyone finds this useful.

Cheers!
This is interesting. Can you please give us more details? Which court was this? When was this judgment delivered? I could not get this information from the attached doc. Also is this judgment under appeal in a higher court?
Old 17th August 2009, 15:15   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
That is where you have some stuff called toll reciepts, petrol bills, pollution check certificates that can help you prove that you just hoped in to KA.Any plans to visit Bangy ? Do drop a line...
Hmm... I hope these things will work with the KA RTO guys. BTW, how are you surviving in Blr with your KL-5 ? Already paid the road tax? Ever been caught?
Old 17th August 2009, 15:20   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Hmm... I hope these things will work with the KA RTO guys. BTW, how are you surviving in Blr with your KL-5 ? Already paid the road tax? Ever been caught?
Hmm.. touch wood.. haven't yet come in front of those RTO chaps. But, even if yes, I do have some ammunition with me (PUC check, petrol bills without dates and which I can put on a recent date) and most important, since my vehicle was used by my DRDO friend for some time (2 weeks), he has stuck a DRDO sticker on the front and this has helped me at local traffic cop checks.
Old 18th August 2009, 13:14   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
This is interesting. Can you please give us more details? Which court was this? When was this judgment delivered? I could not get this information from the attached doc. Also is this judgment under appeal in a higher court?

[FONT=&quot]Its from - "NOTE OF CASES" and bearing reference no. AIR 2005 NOC (KANT) 537 KANT H.C.R. 2140 ...MAHESH C GANDHI v/s DEPUTY COMMISIONER FOR TRANSPORTS,BELGAUM.... WRIT PETITION NO 39752 of 2004 dated 15-7-2005[/FONT]

Its a Writ so I assume it was in High Court and the department did'nt go for an appeal.
Old 18th August 2009, 16:04   #277
BANNED

Quote:

Its a Writ so I assume it was in High Court and the department did'nt go for an appeal.
Done some googling and found this on continuation of the above story
http://164.100.80.145:8080/dspace/bi...19-06-2006.pdf

Last edited by wildon : 18th August 2009 at 16:24.
Old 18th August 2009, 21:00   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Done some googling and found this on continuation of the above story
http://164.100.80.145:8080/dspace/bi...19-06-2006.pdf
Does this mean the High Court has upheld the ruling to prevent road tax payment for all vehicles less than 12 months in KA ?
Old 18th August 2009, 21:54   #279
BHPian

It definitely seems so. This is a welcome judgement for people who bring their cars from another state. Wonder why this was never known/publicized.
Old 19th August 2009, 09:46   #280
BHPian

A more detailed info on the above judgement can be found in this link
Mahesh C. Gandhi vs The Deputy Commissioner For ... on 15 July, 2005
Old 20th August 2009, 15:02   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
It definitely seems so. This is a welcome judgement for people who bring their cars from another state. Wonder why this was never known/publicized.
Its a relative of mine who fought and won the case. He's been sharing the information with whoever he knows. However, did'nt have a medium like this forum to share it with everyone on a mass scale, so I have now put it up for everyone's benefit.
Old 20th August 2009, 15:22   #282
BHPian

Thanks for the info. What I meant was that it should have been highlighted by the media like the entry tax case as this benefits many people. I guess I'm expecting too much from the media.
Old 20th August 2009, 17:53   #283
BANNED

Quote:
Its a relative of mine who fought and won the case. He's been sharing the information with whoever he knows. However, did'nt have a medium like this forum to share it with everyone on a mass scale, so I have now put it up for everyone's benefit.
Ok, well, I may sound dumb, but does this mean that I can buy a vehicle anywhere in India and drive/use it in Karnataka without paying the horrendous, exorbitant and completely unjustifiable DEMON called "Road Tax".
Old 31st August 2009, 15:10   #284
BHPian

Well, even though the court might have ruled it this way, the actual scenario on the road might be different. I am not sure how you can convince the RTO or the local traffic cop who stops you for having an other state plate. Even if you show them the judgement copy, I am sure they will have 1000 reasons not to heed to what you are showing/telling.

Has anyone made use of this judgement to free themselves from the corrupt hands of these officials ?
Old 1st September 2009, 14:42   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Well, even though the court might have ruled it this way, the actual scenario on the road might be different. I am not sure how you can convince the RTO or the local traffic cop who stops you for having an other state plate. Even if you show them the judgement copy, I am sure they will have 1000 reasons not to heed to what you are showing/telling.

Has anyone made use of this judgement to free themselves from the corrupt hands of these officials ?
I use an MP registered Innova in Mumbai as I have an office in Indore, MP. I was stopped once by the RTO when there was random checking of outstation vehicles in Mumbai. I showed the inspector the judgement and to his credit he read the entire thing. However, he began telling me it does not say anything about Maharashtra. At this point i got a bit agitated and warned him that he would be in contempt of court if he did not let me go. He immediately backed off and told me i could go.

So i guess it all depends on how convincing you are while talking to the cops.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks