Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2005, 23:56   #16
BANNED

i need to see a new body shape on this car and not new stickers and bit of add ons. this car is best used as cargo or ambulance.
jesal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2005, 09:47   #17
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess MUL produced the M800 grilles in excess and so they decided to fit it onto the Omni
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2005, 12:17   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This is an UPGRADE? Gosh, I could do a better job at my local accessories shop. Maruti seems to forget that one of the reasons behind its success was introducing contemporary models while its competitors were only launching "variants" of outdated cars.

GTO
Old 12th April 2005, 13:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

The upgrade is not merely cosmetic...

Its got front disc brakes now with brake boosters....something i feel it really needed.
And according to the maruti website...its supposedly now gotten a front 'safety rod' which is mounted behind the dashboard...but i doubt its going to be of any use in saving the driver from leg injuries.

True maruti could have done much better...but then i think something is always better than nothing.

Drifter
drifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2005, 15:09   #20
BHPian

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Maruti seems to forget that one of the reasons behind its success was introducing contemporary models while its competitors were only launching "variants" of outdated cars.

GTO
Pray tell me the contemporary models that maruti has Introduced.

I thought the Fact was otherway around
Old 12th April 2005, 15:15   #21
BHPian

The Maruti OMNI is a mass Killer. I have seen atleast 3 accidents were the entire Occupants have died in a ghastly way from Collisions. I have seen snaps of Crushed Omni's in the newspaper countless times.

Maruti and the Goverment are mass killers. There is no difference berween Maruti and Drug peddlers. Willinglly and knowingly introducing Unsafe Vehicles(whatever may be the noble intentions) to the gullible public are Homicidal crimes. Goverments and goverment owned/Staked companies should be a model to others. It is a shame on maruti and the Goverment.
v_s_natarajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2005, 15:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_s_natarajan

I thought the Fact was otherway around
I think I'll answer this one

The following models were introduced by Maruti when there was no competition in that segment or rather when the segment was non-existant

- Maruti 1000
- Zen
- Gypsy
- Omni (yes the matador dies long back & Omni was a family carrier)
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2005, 15:39   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The 800, Omni, Gypsy and Zen - at the time of launch were certainly contemporary. Remember, at the time of original launch

GTO
Old 12th April 2005, 15:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_s_natarajan
The Maruti OMNI is a mass Killer. I have seen atleast 3 accidents were the entire Occupants have died in a ghastly way from Collisions. I have seen snaps of Crushed Omni's in the newspaper countless times.
I have in person seen n numberof Sumo's & Indica's in a state that even a mouse within wud not have survived.

Also all those who have driven the Omni can vouch for its manuevrability. Its sure scary fora person who hasn't driven a car w/o a bonnet

Also its not supposed to be a highway vehicle. Its like I cant ride an R1 on highways for long distances & complaint abt the bad riding position. Its a city mover.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2005, 15:45   #25
BHPian

yes but

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The 800, Omni, Gypsy and Zen - at the time of launch were certainly contemporary. Remember, at the time of original launch

GTO
Yes, But, the contemporaries are whipped by maruti for the last 17 years. Enough time for us to stop calling them anything but that
Old 12th April 2005, 15:49   #26
BHPian

Is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
I think I'll answer this one

The following models were introduced by Maruti when there was no competition in that segment or rather when the segment was non-existant

- Maruti 1000
- Zen
- Gypsy
- Omni (yes the matador dies long back & Omni was a family carrier)

You are talking a 10+ year old static maruti Vehicles. Contemporary is Modern, in line with times, technology, Safety,.
Having the same models for a decade. maruti is anything but a contemporary car Company
v_s_natarajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2005, 15:51   #27
BHPian

Hey.. the omni looks like it has grown up now.. or is it just the grill that makes it look bespectacled?

I have always considered the Omni to be a terribly dangerous vehicle. Just cant sit in the front seat in one. I dont know why maruti still keeps making it. And i dont really see how a minor facelift would ever account for better sales figures. I dont really see too many people buying an omni apart from the taxi people in bangalore. It might be the cheapest car to buy, but i could never ever considering it given its awful lack of safety.
aggressive_anush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2005, 15:58   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, But, the contemporaries are whipped by maruti for the last 17 years. Enough time for us to stop calling them anything but that
I think we are missing the point. No one is calling Maruti as "presently" contemporary. What was stated was "one of the reasons behind its success was introducing contemporary models while its competitors were only launching "variants" of outdated cars" translated while Premier and HM would sell Mark xxx versions of their Padminis and Ambassadors, Maruti did an 800 on India in the 80's.

GTO
Old 12th April 2005, 15:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yet another of those "ALL NEW" Maruti models. The new grille looks pathetic and there is nothing really which is new. I dont know when Maruti are going to stop their face lifts. I guess the only time when Maruti will be back with an all new model will be the Swift. That is the only one I am looking forward to being launched.

Dippy
Old 12th April 2005, 16:20   #30
BHPian

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I think we are missing the point. No one is calling Maruti as "presently" contemporary. What was stated was "one of the reasons behind its success was introducing contemporary models while its competitors were only launching "variants" of outdated cars" translated while Premier and HM would sell Mark xxx versions of their Padminis and Ambassadors, Maruti did an 800 on India in the 80's.

GTO
yes, GTO.
I just was teasing around.
Just have a grouse against car manufacturers who Do not have safety features not bulit in.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks