Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2008, 17:27   #61
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

base up

My Vote:
Upto 5L : Indica Vista, Amby, Indigo CS
5L-10L : Tata Safari, NHC (Tata Indigo Marina at the lower end in this)
10L-15L: Tata Safari, Toyota Corolla Altis, Elantra
15L-25L: Honda Accord, Superb, Camry
25L-60L: E-Class Merc
60L-1Cr: S-Class Merc
Old 18th November 2008, 19:31   #62
BHPian

The hyundai cars are definitely in the not good category, even though some say it is fine.

Dzire and swift qualifies for the same.

Safari comes to be in one of the vehicles which offer good comfort.

And I have also heard that the Siena is a excellent car which offers back seat comfort.
Old 18th November 2008, 19:37   #63
BHPian

The Ambassador rocks in this category! Also, Aveo and my Corsa offer good rear seating comfort.

The worst I have experienced is in the Tall boy cars (santro and Wagon R)
Old 21st November 2008, 10:41   #64
BHPian

Guys,
I don't see the Baleno mentioned, the back seat is very comfortable with good thigh support and the tall backrest which supports your neck. I know fidgety people who have sat in my car for hours without asking for a "stretching the leg" break.
Old 24th November 2008, 16:26   #65
BHPian

My votes
Best Fornt and rear space/comfort: Chevy Optra, Mercs (E class and above)
Good Front and rear space/comfort: , Indica/Indigo, Lancer
Good Front and ok rear seats: Skoda Ocativa, Ford Ikon, Merc C class
Worst: All maruthi's except Sx4, santro,
Old 30th January 2009, 01:07   #66
BHPian

Best comfort: Tata Sierra/Indica/Indigo Amby/Logan ...
Worst: Scorpio/Esteem...
Old 29th June 2009, 08:10   #67
BHPian

Any modifications?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Best:
My Tempo Traveller. I have put in a bed mattress on long trips and slept comfortably. The individual seats aren't bad either.
Please give details on how you modified your tempo traveller
Old 30th June 2009, 05:51   #68
Senior - BHPian

the rear seats of the optra magnum.. oh my god they are great!!!!
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2009, 06:15   #69
BHPian

IMHO.
TATA INDIGO MARINA: I was driven twice to the Airport by MERU cabs (bangalore) and found that compared to Indica, Logan, Ikon, i10 or esteem to be the most spacious all around you and lot of leg room space as well.
Old 3rd August 2016, 16:34   #70
BHPian

Re: Which car has the best and worst rear seat comfort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Of late we see that the back seat comfort is a point which is rather ignored by most manufacturers. Even in the some of the newest launches. Some concentrate just on leg room and highlight that as great back seat. The pain points include poor back support, poor thigh support, head rest, slanting floor, very low seating, ease of getting in/out, poor cooling etc. In a typical western scenario, back seat is meant for kids and/or pets, so none of these are a big consideration. Not so in the Indian context.

The question is which car has the best rear seat comfort and which the worst is. I mean in the B/C/D segments only. Leave out the luxury/high end.

A corollary question is on the rear middle seat comfort.

Your views.
Great question! I am an avid reader of BHP. I too am looking for an answer. I need a driver driven car and rear seat wobble (from suspension) and comfort are important to me. I travel 45 kms one way and spend 2.5 hours on my return home. Yes I work in Gurgaon and commute from Punjabi Bagh.

Having first driven (and later driven by driver for 3 years now) I plan to sell my 6 year old CNG Wagon R which has clocked 1,50,000 (yes one lac fifty thousand kms) with just a clutch, battery and suspension change, I am thinking of buying a new car and of course from Maruti in about 4 months.

I self drove my dad's Alto K10 and found it very easy to drive through traffic and am tempted to buy it for its parking convenience, cheap (as it will be used by my driver who is a careful driver).

The other options are, stick to Wagon R or switch to Celerio. I find one problem in Wago R. It has a lot of body roll and probably the three cyclinder engine and CNG makes the ride a bit (yes a bit) jerky. The CNG kit is company fitted and the jerk is not on account of it. It is just when the accelerator hits a low and you have to pick up, there is a very visible jerk. Not every time but when it is picking up from a low speed (even though it is in the right gear)

A look at rear suspensions gave me these three types in the cars I am considering:

Celerio: Coupled torsion beam axle with coil spring
Alto: 3 linked Rigid axle suspension
Wagon R: Isolated Trailing Link with coil spring

I suspect the Alto K10 rear ride will be the least comfortable, even though the front ride was awesome.

Is there any expert who can tell the difference between these suspensions and which of them is superior.

I have Alto and Wagon R but a lot depends on the road, the pot holes travelled and the way it is driven. I want to go about the next purchase scientifically.

Thank you
Old 8th October 2017, 00:02   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which car has the best and worst rear seat comfort?

Looking at various reviews and discussions about the rear seat - and if the seat can take 3 people comfortably, I think that most cars, and many SUV's are best for 4 people. The culprit is either the retractable hand-rest that is built into the seat back-rest, or the 40:60 split which cause the seating area for the passenger sitting in the middle seat of the 2nd row to feel not-so-comfortable to in-comfortable. Most times the back-rest part is bad due to the retractable arm rest.

Surprisingly, the other two seats in the middle row are often very comfortable. This situation makes even the big SUV's comfortable for 4 pax many a time.

One example of even comfort for all 3 people in the middle row is here.
Note: the seat cushions are not necessarily plush

Which car has the best and worst rear seat comfort?-tatasumogoldinteriorseatingarrangementtopview.jpg

( pic from : http://www.carcomparisons.intop-view.jpg )
Old 26th December 2017, 22:30   #72
BHPian

This is a subject that I'm deeply interested in nowdays as rear seat comfort is a major priority.The cars are also getting lighter and suspension components are getting lighter too.This seems like a complicated subject though.The article below presents a scholarly discussion.

https://www.rqriley.com/suspensn.htm

I would like to see the top 20 cars sold in India rated on rear seat ride quality over typical Indian roads at average speeds of about 70-80 km/hr.

Members with comparative experience in rear seats of Hatches,MUV,SUV and Sedans ,kindly share the experience of ride comfort in the rear seat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks